Josh Rhys Owen: stunning builds and wood wizardry...

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Josh Rhys Owen is a young guy from Glasgow who works as a professional producer/songwriter and spends his weekdays zooming around between London/LA/NYC. All very glamorous and exciting sure...but damn, that kind of lifestyle is STRESSFUL and unwinding and finding some chill time is a big part of how he keeps his head on straight.
Josh's particular method of "getting away from it all" started with trying some woodworking in his barn.
Yes, he has a barn.
And bloody freezing it is in the Winter too!:cold:
Anyway, being a musician and most guitars being made of well, wood, the move towards refinishing guitars and, more recently, trying to build some has born fruit in an awesome way.
You see, Josh is one of those slightly OCD/perfectionist-in-a-good-way folk who will not rest until whatever he is working on - a neck, a build, a tremolo arm tip (you heard) - is living up to the expectations of his incredibly demanding brain. To put it another way; the words "yeah, that'll do" don't feature in Josh's cognition - either in his vocabulary or his attitude.
I should also mention that Josh is a lovely, kind and terribly modest bloke too and he was genuinely surprised when I asked if I could share some of his more recent work with you lot. It hadn't occurred to him that people - outwith his circle of guitar geeky friends (happy to include myself in that list:D) - might want to see what he's getting up to in that rather chilly barn.
But I think that you would all love what he's doing cuz by F*CK! It's bloody ACE!
Okay, enough burbling.
I'm waiting on Josh sending over the earliest pics of the build along with some description of what he's doing at each stage too, so in the meantime, let me share some of the other stuff he's been working on.
First up necks.
He's not too shabby at a neck refinish is our Josh...:eek:

These two are rather nice! The one on the right is now in board the Tmonster. And no, you can't have it. It's MINE!:)

Oh yeah, this is rather good too...:cold:

Now.
Who on earth would spend hours making a buffed and polished to perfection tremolo arm tip?
Yeah.
That would be Josh...:)

So yep.
The man has some serious skillz.
I'm going to post some pics of his last build in a minute too. Once I've had some more coffee anyway.:)
I should make it clear that Josh very much feels that he is still learning and is just at the beginning of his guitar building journey.
But flipping heck! From what he's made so far I can promise that this is going to be on hell of a ride!
:bounce:
EDIT: if anyone wants to get in touch with Josh his email is joshrhysowen@yahoo.co.uk
:)

Last edited:

bad alice

How many cups of coffee? :bounce::hot::dog:
:D
Sorry about the wait!
I just realised that I don't have a full frontal pic of the last guitar - a tobacco burst tele - to share:facepalm:
I'm waiting on Josh to send it over to me
But it's Sunday so...it might not arrive until later.
That said, and if you're all okay with that(!) I can share the pics of the rest of it.
Yeah?
Okay here goes:
The neck. That's always a good place to start yeah?
IMG_3439.JPG

Every neck needs a fretboard right?
This'll do nicely...:eek:
IMG_3441.JPG

Let's have a peek at how those look attached to the body shall we?
IMG_3440.JPG
Rather deliciously, I find!
Okay a front shot before the tobacco burst was applied...
IMG_3442.JPG

Oh, that extra piece of wood (burled elm I think?) - I'll confirm the woods used in this build later on:)
Lovely isn't it.
Most folk would be putting that on the front of a guitar for maximum showing offness.
Not Josh.
He thought it would look best as a control cavity cover.
I would have to agree:cold:
IMG_3416.JPG

And, apologies for not being (currently) able to complete the lush woodfest with an actual proper pic of the finished guitar. But here's a quick peek at the burst before any buffing or finishing took place.
I should add that this guitar is Josh's FIRST attempt at a burst.
And no, I wouldn't kick that out of bed either...:cold:
IMG_3417.JPG

Once I've got my hands on a finished pic of this axe I'll post it here.
But suffice to say this guitar sold like a veritable hot cake.
Top spec humbucker on board too - possible BKPs but I'll confirm that later.
Anyway, the build Josh is working in right now is in a different league to this^
It's really quite something tbh.
I'll try and supply as much detail as I can too when I get going on that.
I should add that Josh does this stuff as a hobby...but he says he'd be interested in taking commissions
*I just added Josh's email to the OP*

Last edited:

bad alice

And the finished telecaster!

Trem tip in place:)
I'll list the spec under the pics...

The spec of this beast is as follows:
Body: alder
Neck: birdseye
Pickups: Bare Knuckle Nailbomb and Painkiller
Wiring: veraboard
Finish: custom finish antique burst
Hardware: Wilkinson and Schaller hardware
Term tip and back plate: elm burr (custom detailing)

Yep. That counts as a full-on-yet-elegant-rock-machine in my book.
#SolidWIN

Last edited:

bad alice

I'm not going to be able to post the current build info until Tuesday
As I'm off gallivanting to Stirling tomorrow
To give my annual "inspirational speech" at a charity AGM
Yes.
A LOT of coffee will be being drunk to ensure I am properly in the *zone*
On a Monday.
But hey, it feels rude not to leave something else of Josh's to keep you occupied till then.
Hmmm...
Will an all wood hybrid Tele/Strat do?
IMG_3466.JPG
:cold:

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
I'm not going to be able to post the current build info until Tuesday
As I'm off gallivanting to Stirling tomorrow
To give my annual "inspirational speech" at a charity AGM
Yes.
A LOT of coffee will be being drunk to ensure I am properly in the *zone*
On a Monday.
But hey, it feels rude not to leave something else of Josh's to keep you occupied till then.
Hmmm...
Will an all wood hybrid Tele/Strat do?
View attachment 28322
:cold:
Yeah ... you leave ... :ninja:

We'll be here tasting that chocolate and fudge ... it can't be wood ... :beaver:
What kind of person makes a guitar out of chocolate and fudge? :eek:
Edible guitars ... come on ... let's have a snack! :cloud9:

I'm so confused right now. :cold:

bad alice

Morning:)
Seems I promised you guys a load of pics of Josh's newest (and still ongoing) build didn't I?
Right then.
*rolls sleeves up*
Let's get into it...
The body of this guitar is made of padauk. I don't have any pics of the body cutting process so let's start at the point where Josh is cutting the control cavities...

And some weight relieving is being added too...

Figuring out the size and shape of the cavity cover...

And then Josh cut a lip so that the cover would sit nice and snug...

Next up; taping of the area for a belly cut...

And some hand carving/shaping/sanding happened...:cold:

Jack socket. Every electric guitar needs one, right?

Result!

So many hours of precise, well thought out and patient work have gone into this build. It's a delight tbh.
More pics later...