JB in an Ibanez

DrKarnivore

Browsing your web and SMS history
Staff member
Hey dudes,

On delivery of a Rockfield pickup soon, I`ll be taking a Seymour JB out of an all mahogany guitar.

Is there any value in putting it in a Japanese made Ibanez RG450DX. Not sure of the body wood, but maybe someone has a JB in a mid range ibanez and has some thoughts.

DrKarnivore

Staff member
I`m tempted to wire the thing directly to the output jack, screw the tone and volume control! (and neck and middle pickups) :D

DrKarnivore

Staff member
The mafia bridge mate, recommended by Mr Rockfield himself - he`s a really nice guy who`ll contact you directly with advice!

I ultimately want to try all their pups to see which ones suit in certain axes, as they are sooooo cheap compared to the other manufacturers.

Does your Kelly have the Black Betty actives? I was looking to get a Kelly Vex with those in, they used to use EMG`s but checked to Rockfields. How do they sound as you can`t buy them over the counter yet, their only OEM. Hell they don`t even have info on the Rockfield website. Kellys are hard to comeby in the UK, you can buy on the net but I wanted to roadtest one first.

I`m probably going to have a pickup shuffle around, I`ve never been 100% happy with the tonezone in my Ibe, so that could possibly end up on ebay if the JB sounds good.

I`m trying to find some kind of plug which I can connect a male end to a tonepot, and female end to the pup wire to allow quick changeouts. It`s difficult finding such a thing when you don`t know what they`re called!

Issor

Yeah I've got the Bettys. They're similar to emgs in that they keep the wonderful clarity and high gain tones, but so much better in that they aren't nearly as sterile. You might have to mess around for a great clean tone but it's very much worth it.

Nice choice on the Mafia, btw. One of my favorites.

DrKarnivore

Staff member
It was either that or the Fat Ass, I think the Mafia might have a bit more high end and the Fat Ass a bit, errm, Fatter.

I`m tempted to get a single wound custom for my Epi Les Paul, not heard anything outside of Todd Rockwells demos though.

Issor

SWCs are supposed to be very nice.

When I replace pickups, I'm going for a Mafia or Fat Ass bridge and DiMarzio air norton in the neck. It's going to be so amazing.

DrKarnivore

Staff member
Talk about lookin after your customers. Just got this from Todd Rockfield......
-------------------------------------------
Great to hear from you and thanks for the email...
> Well The funny thing is that every question you asked is really a
> preference!!! I think that The Mafia sounds great in Mahogany cause it's
> a dense wood and the Mafia is ceramic... More bite...
>
> But that's my! However, some like the harshness of a basswood body with
> a ceramic high to medium high gain pickup...I.E....EVH!!! LOL...
>
> So with that being said, its really a preference.. Your preference...:>)
-------------------------------------------
What a top guy!

Issor

Yeah he's really a cool guy about answering his emails promptly. Always nice to know that when you email a company a question about a product you're getting an answer from someone who really knows his way around said product, to put it lightly.