I've got wood!

The padauk strat is pretty much finished - the only things left are the middle pickup, which doesn't work and I can't see why, and I have to replace the bridge screws, as per the previous posts. Here are a couple of photos:
Padauk strat finished 1.jpg Padauk strat finished 2.jpg

I'm fairly happy with the outcome although there were a lot of problems along the way - I've certainly learnt some things doing this build!

Alan O'hagan

The padauk strat is pretty much finished - the only things left are the middle pickup, which doesn't work and I can't see why, and I have to replace the bridge screws, as per the previous posts. Here are a couple of photos:
View attachment 33885 View attachment 33884

I'm fairly happy with the outcome although there were a lot of problems along the way - I've certainly learnt some things doing this build!
Ooh swicharoo! That’s a bit tasty @GloopyJon

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.

Very cool man, nice one!

Meanwhile, the 339-inspired build (with the wenge body) is coming along and I've been working on the neck. I had a small problem at the heel which I think I've solved now, and I've been working on the headstock. Last night I glued on a couple of pieces to make the wings. I know this looks a bit dodgy, but the big brands do exactly the same - I've seen it in videos from PRS, for example. If it's glued well, you can't see the join afterwards - and in any case there will be a veneer on the face of the headstock.

The surfaces are a bit of a mess at the moment from the sawing and gluing, to get the headstock angle (about 10 degrees), but there's plenty of wood to come off and it should be fine.
339 neck gluing wings.jpg

I partially cut out the shape of the headstock in order to get the pieces that were glued onto the side, to waste as little wood as possible. I'll probably work on shaping the headstock and also cutting the neck down to the right width over the weekend, and I need to sort out the neck pocket very soon (this is going to be my first bolt-on neck).

The fretboard is a wood called Violeta, apparently, which I haven't noticed on any commercial guitars, but I noticed that Guitars and Woods sold the fretboards and thought I'd buy one for variety, as part of my stock of fretboards. The customer for this particular guitar made the wise choice of picking this one, and I think it's going to look great.

@ssinine

Professional noodler

THAT IS FUCKING BEAUTIFUL!
Now to change my pants and go over the posts I missed.
Immense job, Mr. Gloopers.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
Last night, inspired by a video I saw a while ago on YouTube, I began a small experiment. I think the pictures speak for themselves...
View attachment 34222 View attachment 34223

I haven't glued them together yet, as I still need to do some work so that they fit perfectly. I think they will make interesting fretboards for a couple of future guitars!
Sweeeet... Now put binding in between them ;)

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
Last night, inspired by a video I saw a while ago on YouTube, I began a small experiment. I think the pictures speak for themselves...
View attachment 34222 View attachment 34223

I haven't glued them together yet, as I still need to do some work so that they fit perfectly. I think they will make interesting fretboards for a couple of future guitars!
Nightswan inlays?

I'm in England again for my third Crimson Guitars course, and yesterday I visited three different timber merchants - Exotic Hardwoods (aka Timberline, in Kent), W.L.West & sons (in Sussex) and Surrey Timbers (near Guildford). It made yesterday a very long day, but I survived and came out of it with some nice pieces of wood.

Here are pictures of this latest haul, going in chronological order and starting with the caps and fretboards that I bought from Exotic Hardwoods:
Woods March 2018 (6).jpg
A couple of fretboards - Macassar ebony and normal ebony. I have a specific plan for the second one - it's a bit darker than it appears in the photo. Next are a few caps, in Indian Rosewood, zebrano (with an unusual burl pattern), wenge and flame maple (which is a bit lighter than the photo!).
Woods March 2018 (7).jpg Woods March 2018 (8).jpg Woods March 2018 (9).jpg Woods March 2018 (10).jpg
From W.L.West, I bought some pieces that will be useful for making necks. They don't do guitar blanks, and didn't really have anything suitable for bodies or fretboards, so I probably won't bother going back there but these pieces weren't bad, and were cheaper than they would be if they were sold as neck blanks. They are mixed up with some pieces from Surrey Timbers in the photos.
Woods March 2018 (3).jpg Woods March 2018 (4).jpg

From Surrey Timbers, I also bought another sapele plank that will provide two bodies, and some pieces for laminate necks. I also got a plank of bubinga which will do much the same job, but it was four times the price! It has a really nice grain pattern, though, and I think the end result will look superb.
Woods March 2018 (2).jpg Woods March 2018 (1).jpg
And lastly, a piece of panga panga (not sure if I'd heard of it before either), and a very orangey piece of padauk.
Woods March 2018 (5).jpg

I'm quite pleased with all of this. It's a nice restocking of my wood store, which should last me for quite a while now.

@johnniegoat I'm not sure why you kept inserting your [mental age / IQ / penis size / number of illegitimate children*] in your message but thanks for the info!

I'm already making one tele at the moment, and that's one too many. I'm only doing it because I like the guy who wanted it, despite his poor taste (you should see what he keeps obsessing over on ebay!).

:D

*Delete as appropriate to make your own joke here!

I needed a couple of little bits and pieces from Guitars & Woods, and three new fretboards accidentally found their way into the parcel...
Fretboards April 2018.jpg
From the top: Violeta, Pau Ferro and Zebrano. I was very happy when I opened the parcel, because when you don't choose them yourself you don't know how they will look, but I think these fretboards look superb!

I have a bit of an excess of fretboards in my wood store now - probably around 12-15 of them. I really ought to stop buying them, but they are so pretty! :)

I've started thinking about maybe making a 12-string guitar. As far as I can see, it's relatively straightforward - the nut width is 48mm instead of 42mm (or thereabouts), but the width of the bridge is the same as a normal 6-string so it should be possible to use standard pickups. Obviously the other big difference is that you need a bigger headstock for 12 tuners. It could be a fun build, though!

The trouble is that I have plenty of ideas for making guitars, but building them takes a lot of time, as I still have a full-time day job (which pays for all of this madness!).

The wenge 339 - which really should have had a thread of its own, but I never got around to it - has been progressing quietly behind the scenes, with quite a bit of work happening on the neck in particular. I'm still in the process of polishing the frets, but it's getting there!

Fortunately, the customer for this guitar has the patience - as well as the vocabulary - of a constipated saint* and he isn't complaining about the delay, but I hope to finish it very soon, partly so that I can get it over to him and partly because I've got another customer lined up, but I don't want to start working on that guitar until I've finished this one.

Anyway, here's a quick picture of the body, after it was stained this afternoon. I used quite a lot of water to even out the stain, and the darker patches are where it's still wet. I've actually videoed the process, and will also video the first coat of oil going on, and I'll probably pop that up on my YouTube account in a week or so.
Top stained drying.jpg

*I.e. he is very well spoken, but tends to say "shit" a lot.