I've got wood!

There's some tasty pieces there Jon, the Zebrano is really nice.
I'm thinking of doing something a bit crazy with it!

My favourite piece is the bog oak fingerboard. I think it will look great with a flame top, and as it's a bass fingerboard, if I use it for a guitar then I might have enough left over to make some inlays for a maple fretboard.

Talking of which, here's a close-up of one of each, just for the patterns in the woods...
Woods 25 Oct 2017 - bog oak + maple.jpg

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I'm thinking of doing something a bit crazy with it!

My favourite piece is the bog oak fingerboard. I think it will look great with a flame top, and as it's a bass fingerboard, if I use it for a guitar then I might have enough left over to make some inlays for a maple fretboard.

Talking of which, here's a close-up of one of each, just for the patterns in the woods...
View attachment 33170
Very nice!

Re that next guitar, now that my band saw is back in operation, I was able to cut out the pieces for the body. They are currently being glued together. I will still focus mainly on the strat and Sunrise for now, but I thought I'd just make a bit of a start on this one anyway.
Body gluing.jpg
It's not totally clear in the picture, but the grain patterns line up pretty well like this, so I think it will look rather acceptable.

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
Re that next guitar, now that my band saw is back in operation, I was able to cut out the pieces for the body. They are currently being glued together. I will still focus mainly on the strat and Sunrise for now, but I thought I'd just make a bit of a start on this one anyway.
View attachment 33295
It's not totally clear in the picture, but the grain patterns line up pretty well like this, so I think it will look rather acceptable.
That grain orientation is sexy as hell.

...and after the work with the spindle sander! The next step will be to rout out the body, because it's going to be a semi-hollow (loosely modelled on a Gibson 339). I just have to agree the details with the friend that I'm making this one for - I'm thinking of leaving some struts of the wenge to provide some support for the cap, and we have to design the control cavity.
IMG_20171118_112615159.jpg

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
...and after the work with the spindle sander! The next step will be to rout out the body, because it's going to be a semi-hollow (loosely modelled on a Gibson 339). I just have to agree the details with the friend that I'm making this one for - I'm thinking of leaving some struts of the wenge to provide some support for the cap, and we have to design the control cavity.
View attachment 33386
I love the colour / grain of the Wenge Jon.

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
View attachment 33386
Is that not the grain pattern which you wanted to have on the back of the body?

Is that not the grain pattern which you wanted to have on the back of the body?
I hope not, or I've made a dreadful mistake and my friend may be awfully disappointed!

But no, although they look similar, this is the back, and the grain lines match up a bit better here. I've sanded it a bit today, but it's hard to get a good picture as it's quite dark and reflective. Anyway, this - tidied up a bit and minus the control cover - is what the back should look like.
Body 2.jpg

I'm not sure if I missed this, what do you have planned hardware and pickup- wise for the strat?

Edit:

I just re- watched the video where you started finishing the Strat. I was able to spot the maker, but not what exact product you were using?

Last edited:
I probably haven't mentioned them. The bridge is a Babicz 6-point floating bridge, which looked like a pretty decent option for a fairly classic type of strat bridge. The tuners will be Harley Bentons - I might consider making replacement knobs for them, but I'm not sure if I'll bother. The pickups are Irongear Vintage 6TS - again, I wanted something that would be fairly classic.

The main change is that I'm going to implement a kind of Brian May-style of pickup selection. However, where he has two separate switches for each pickup, I will have a single toggle switch for each. The bridge will just be on/off, and the other two will be on/off/out-of-phase. This gives me all of his combinations without the redundancy of flipping the phase of all three (there will still be some redundant options, like M+N both in phase or both out, but less than with his guitar - mine will have 18 positions with 4 redundant, whereas his has 27 positions with 13 redundant). Also, I've wired them in parallel whereas his are in series.

Last edited:
That sounds like fun :)

The nut placement is going to be Gibson- style? What material are you going to use and what's your weapon choice for slotting?

The nut placement is going to be Gibson- style? What material are you going to use and what's your weapon choice for slotting?
Yes, for no particularly good reason. I bought a pack of five nut blanks, and I splashed out on the complete set of Crimson Guitars nut-slotting files. It wasn't cheap, but none of the options are, and it should cover me for every eventuality.

Today I've also made another expensive order from GNW. I needed to get a stock of truss rods and fret wire, and I also decided to buy a fret press, together with a set of five insert blocks of different radiuses, and an expensive fret-crowning file. I'm hoping that the combination will greatly reduce the pain of the fret installation process!

On the subject of this thread, I also chucked in a ziricote top veneer. It wasn't that expensive, and so although I don't know exactly what I'll get, it could be rather nice. I love the look of ziricote, but it's very hard to find, so I thought the veneers (at €17) were worth a shot. I'll post a photo here when they arrive.