Is it possible to teach anyone how to play faster?

I've been playing for a long time (self-taught) and I always get frustrated playing faster licks. I don't mean Yngwie Malmsteen stuff - probably to some people mildly fast. I can play a reasonable amount of rhythm stuff and simple licks.

I try practising scales etc but always seem to hit a brick wall. I realise I'm never going to be s speed demon, but I would like to improve. I've wondered whether if I had lessons with a focused input and suggestions whether I could play faster.

I take the same approach to getting faster on guitar that I took for getting faster on the drums. This approach also improves accuracy, which is important in music.

Practice to a metronome. Keep notes.

Play the scale/riff/whatever at a specific tempo. When it no longer feels like a challenge, bump up the BMP by 5-10.

Keep it just beyond your reach. In other words, fast enough that it's a challenge, but not so fast that it's both unreasonable and discouraging. If you get discouraged or frustrated, then back it off a few on the BPM.

As you increase your speed, update your notes to include the date and the tempo. This makes it easy to pick up where you left off, or to see if you're improving or slipping.

It also serves as a reminder of achievement. I'll find a riff that I can't play, learn how to play it, and then take it for granted. When this happens, I don't feel as if I've actually gotten anywhere.

Good luck!

I take the same approach to getting faster on guitar that I took for getting faster on the drums. This approach also improves accuracy, which is important in music.

Practice to a metronome. Keep notes.

Play the scale/riff/whatever at a specific tempo. When it no longer feels like a challenge, bump up the BMP by 5-10.

Keep it just beyond your reach. In other words, fast enough that it's a challenge, but not so fast that it's both unreasonable and discouraging. If you get discouraged or frustrated, then back it off a few on the BPM.

As you increase your speed, update your notes to include the date and the tempo. This makes it easy to pick up where you left off, or to see if you're improving or slipping.

It also serves as a reminder of achievement. I'll find a riff that I can't play, learn how to play it, and then take it for granted. When this happens, I don't feel as if I've actually gotten anywhere.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. I need to pull my finger out and start trying playing with a metronome