IR Cabinet Loader (PULSE) - a little stumped

Discussion in 'Recording' started by ed lespaul, May 18, 2017.

1. ed lespaul

ed lespaul Well-Known Member

I downloaded a VST plugin called PULSE that loads IRs into your DAW. I was hoping to save some time by recording a quick riff on the Atomic Amplifire (AA3) with only the amp on. That's the way I create the EQ match IRs.

After recording the track, load up PULSE IR Loader (http://www.rosendigitalaudio.com/pulse/) and run through the different cabinet IRs I have to find which ones I like, without loading them onto the AA3.

For some reason, I can hear only a slight difference in each IR. I loaded an IR that I created, and the result does not sound anywhere near the patch on the AA3 using the same settings and same cab.

I'm 100% sure I'm missing something. Any ideas? :shrug:

2. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufustarian” Staff Member

Might you have routed the track and/or the plugin incorrectly? The only such tool I have used, and not much at that, is Voxengo's Boogex (hosted by PreSonus Studio One 2 Producer).

3. ed lespaul

I checked again, and it's routed correctly. I used KafIR and it worked perfectly, using the same settings. Unfortunately, I like the PULSE interface better, since it lists all IRs in the current directory, and then all you have to do is change the highlighted IR for it to be active. But, if it doesn't work correctly, the interface, although better IMHO, means nothing.

Robstafarian likes this.
  4. @ssinine

@ssinine Professional noodler

Bumping in case this helps - I use Ignite Amps' NadIR and it allows you to choose any IR from within a folder with a single-click drop-down menu. Not sure if it's exactly the behavior you want but check it out.

5. ed lespaul

Thanks. I've since moved onto LeCab2, which allows for loading multiple cabinet IRs. It works great. Check it out if you haven't already

6. @ssinine

@ssinine Professional noodler

Yepp, I ran into some trouble with LeCab2 and had the same hangups with KeFIR as you.
    The two IRs on NadIR works for me.