Impression of my new ML2 Pro Modern

So I got my new axe from Riff City on Saturday and of course I fell INSTANTLY in love!!!!

But I didn’t get time to really sit with it until yesterday after work (and played it for about 3 hours straight). Aaaaaand I hate to say but at this price range I have issues I’m not at all happy about.

So the good: the guitar looks and feels amazing. The matte finish and silky neck with no “set neck joint” have me really happy! No complaints at all there. The neck pickup purrrs ...such beautiful tone and sustain!! Also love the tuners!

The bad (I thought RC is known for thorough QC?):

I first noticed some fret buzz and bended notes bottoming out on the B and High E strings at the 12th fret and higher. No biggie. Apparently just the action was too low. I raised the action on the high string side of the bridge just a mm or so and cleaned that right up.

But the bridge pickup sounds like puke. Thin, nasally, no sustain, can’t buy a pinched harmonic. BUT then I notice ZERO difference in tone when I split the coils. And there seems to be some little bit of static when I was rolling the volume/tone controls (though that might’ve worked itself out after playing for a bit). And there is a noticeable hum in the neck pickup. So I’m thinking it’s probably wired wrong or something.

Because I live hundreds of miles from RC I would have to ship it back to them for any warranty work (I’m guessing ...I’m gonna email and see what they say) and I really do not want to do that. So I’ll probably end up putting money out of pocket on this by taking it to a Luthier which sucks. At this price point this kind of thing is unacceptable to me, but what can I do? I don’t want to just return it ya know?

ShredRex5150

Can't get over how many times prior complain about the noisy, not working properly electronics. Bea sigs, both my Norsemans, ML2 Modern....all coming out of the WMI Korea facility.

Meanwhile I have an LTD EC-1000 from the same factory that is perfect. (Well it WAS perfect. I gutted it, bought all upgraded electronics and Gibson 500T/498R pups and had someone install it all and now it’s even more perfect!). I guess maybe Chapman’s get worked on by a different team with cheaper electronics than the LTDs??

In any case Riff City is the bomb. They told me take it to a repair shop and get a quote from them to resolve my issues so it looks like Chapman/Riff City will stand by their product!! That makes me feel a lot better. But that being said, I might just do to this what I did to my EC-1000 (with maybe some different pickups) and just pay for it myself. I’m gonna take it in, get it looked at and see what they say at the shop. I really do like the sound of the Stentorian in the neck. It’s just the bridge that sounds bad.

ShredRex5150

I have a theory....since the QC issues appear to be more recent, at least to me I have noticed more of these types of complaints in the the last 12 months or so......that the production runs are winding down and B stock is making its way out to dealers to fill orders. But it is just a theory

I have heard the semi hollow ML3 quality is top shelf, just like my ML3 pro traditional I got a while back.

Something definitely seems off tho doesn't it

Hmmmm not a bad theory. I wish Chapman would have just sold me the guitar with no electronics at a discount rather than I have to deal with this. But like I said Riff City is working with me so I’m not mad. I’m happy I purchased through them. I’ve been playing the crap out of it. I really love it and will love it completely once these issues are worked out.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I have a theory....since the QC issues appear to be more recent, at least to me I have noticed more of these types of complaints in the the last 12 months or so......that the production runs are winding down and B stock is making its way out to dealers to fill orders. But it is just a theory

I have heard the semi hollow ML3 quality is top shelf, just like my ML3 pro traditional I got a while back.

Something definitely seems off tho doesn't it
I don't any brandholder in their right mind would do that as it's a big risk for your brand image.

An update on my guitar:

I had sent RC details (and offered to send a video of my noise complaints ...don’t remember now if I did send it or not), but they were EXCELLENT about helping me. I really thought I was going to either have to ship the guitar back to them or deal with it on my own but they treated me like royalty. They let me take it to a pro guitar repair shop that’s about 35 minutes from my home and he gave an estimate and they approved it. He ended up stripping away some of the finish on the hardware (underneath where you can’t see) so that the ground made better connection and he swapped out the switch or something.

While it was at the shop I picked up a set of Seymour Duncan pickups (Sentient neck and Pegasus bridge) and had him install them. He didn’t cut me any break on the installation even though he was already going to have the thing apart, but oh well. This guitar sings now!! I can’t put it down. I used to play maybe 30-40 minutes a night and now I play like 2-3 hours every night. My girlfriend has to yell at me to put it down. It’s just so smooth and the good clean crunch I get out of it now are very addicting! I feel this guitar has made me a better player.