I'd like your opinion on this track

Discussion in 'Playing' started by beanball, Aug 10, 2017.

1. beanball

beanball Retired Rock God

Some of you already know that I just finished (mostly) rebuilding a pawnshop Dean MLX. I'm in the process of making a video to show off what this thing can do now. But I figured, why stop there? I've decided to turn it into a series of odds and ends I've learned over the decades, from little practicing habits to gigging and the dos and don'ts of working in the music business.

To that end, I threw together a little track that I plan on using for the title sequence. My middle child is a film student who's helping me cobble this together, so he's giving the old man some pointers. Anyway, I'd like your opinion about the title track. Should I go with the version that has the lead, or the one that just has rhythm? Personally, I can't decide. Hence the post.

Muchos thank yous in advance.

Incidentally, the track was recorded with said rebuilt Dean. I'm kinda proud of it =).

Attached Files:

2. @ssinine

@ssinine Professional noodler

The rhythm track. If it's going to be heard multiple times then lead lines can turn annoying.

I know the mid scoop is a thing but could you turn up the mids a tiny bit? Considering that there isn't much else happening in the mix. Personal preference so feel free to ignore.

Nice job on the Dean btw. Looks great.

beanball likes this.
  3. beanball

beanball Retired Rock God

Well, it won't be heard over and over in a row. I appreciate the input, however. But I think I might just like the flow of the other.

BTW, the mids aren't scooped at all. There's actually quite a bit of mid-range in the mix. The guitars are both set at 6 and the lead is at 8. The bass (not that it matters) is also set at 6. I like the "bounce" it adds to the bottom end.

Thanks about the Dean! I tried not to mess it up =).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. @ssinine

@ssinine Professional noodler

Yepp, you're right about the mids. Was listening at quite a low volume.

beanball likes this.
  5. beans & rice

beans & rice Well-Known Member

I like the rhythm-only track, as an intro. Maybe the lead as a fade-out at the end.

beanball and Poseidon like this.
  6. benthedemon007

benthedemon007 Active Member

I like both tracks. Especially the lead.

That said, don't scoop your mids so much. Mids make guitar sound thick and defined and and allow guitar to cut through the mix.