I want to get into recording cheap! what "starter" bundle is best?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by DT-PRS, Aug 15, 2016.

1. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Stop, don’t, come back.

2. Dead Circuits

Dead Circuits Active Member

I have a Focusrite 2i4, its really good. I'd recommend anything by them. I didn't get a bundle, I bought a Rode NT-1 with mine, and recently complimented that with a Shure SM57

In terms of DAW I use Reaper. Free unlimited trial, that doesn't restrict use, and only £60 odd to remove the pop up at the start. I'm not experienced with other DAWs but I find Reaper amazing.

ScutMonkey and DrHankWanfordSnr like this.
  3. I demand satisfaction

I demand satisfaction Well-Known Member

I just returned a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen). Should have read up a little more on these guys. The 2i2 doesn't have the input pad like the 2i4 does, so I kept clipping while I was on the instrument input selection. I liked everything else about it, though. So I'd recommend either the 2nd gen 2i4 or the Steinberg UR22mkII.
    For now, I'm just learning to use Logic Pro and my iRig HD. I'll hold off on the other stuff for a bit. I do have my old Alesis io|2 as a fallback if I want to mic up.

Robstafarian likes this.
  4. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

I rate the io|2 quite highly. It gets a little noisy with the gain up high but that didn't cause me any issues when I had one.

Pretty certain this was done when I had mine (a bit of a rare acoustic/ballad moment for me)

I tend to forget about the necessity of a pad switch, definitely a must have.