I need a bit of advice...

uBbba08

Greetings chaps,

I am in need of some third party advice. I am currently in the market for a new axe, I typically play melo-death, folk metal and some prog, no djent... So naturally, I have been looking at Ola Englund's Solar guitars, https://www.thomann.de/ie/solar_guitars_a1.6etc_g2.htm this one to be exact. My budget is about 1,500eur or thereabouts.

However, I was perusing the classifieds here in Ireland, just to see if there was anything decent and I came across this https://touch.adverts.ie/electric-guitars/ibanez-jem-7vwh/18094334

Basically, I need advice lads and lassies. It's been about 4/5 years since my last purchase. :(

Cheers, UBbba

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
For €850, that Jem is a good deal. It's Made in Japan, so a great guitar. Do check it out thoroughly before buying.

For you're genre of music though, that Solar looks great to me specswise. Is a tremolo important to you? That Evertune bridge on the Solar would be the main reason for the get that over the Jem.

uBbba08

P
For €850, that Jem is a good deal. It's Made in Japan, so a great guitar. Do check it out thoroughly before buying.

For you're genre of music though, that Solar looks great to me specswise. Is a tremolo important to you? That Evertune bridge on the Solar would be the main reason for the get that over the Jem.
Yeah €850 is a steal, most other second hand Jen’s I’ve seen go for €1,400+, it has a fair few dings but that doesn’t bother me.

Trem isn’t really my forte. I have an Indonesian Premium Rg that has the edge zero trem system and I blocked it off, I would probably block off the trem on the Jem also.

The evertune is quite attractive, yes.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
P

Yeah €850 is a steal, most other second hand Jen’s I’ve seen go for €1,400+, it has a fair few dings but that doesn’t bother me.

Trem isn’t really my forte. I have an Indonesian Premium Rg that has the edge zero trem system and I blocked it off, I would probably block off the trem on the Jem also.

The evertune is quite attractive, yes.
What about visiting a guitar store and just trying some stuff out. See what you really like.

uBbba08

What about visiting a guitar store and just trying some stuff out. See what you really like.
Most guitar shops here (Dublin) only stock low tier Ibanez and other similar brands, or on the off chance something second hand. Other than that it's the usual Fender and Gibson catalogue... not really my cuppa. I'm not exactly spoilt for choice in that department tbh.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Most guitar shops here (Dublin) only stock low tier Ibanez and other similar brands, or on the off chance something second hand. Other than that it's the usual Fender and Gibson catalogue... not really my cuppa. I'm not exactly spoilt for choice in that department tbh.
Alright. I would get the Solar. If you don't like it you can send it back.