I might do the unthinkable....selling my Lynch LTD 500 Sunburst Tiger

ed lespaul

Since they originally came out, I have wanted a Lynch 500 LTD guitar. The 500 series is an amazing series, and are excellent guitars. The comparison between the newer 200 series and the older 500 series is simply unfair.

The first one I found was an ESP LTD GL-500K Kamikaze. It was then, and is now, one of my best guitars. It needed a little work, but after I was done with it, I loved it, and still do. For years, my "Holy Grail" guitar was the ESP LTD GL-500T, which is a Sunburst Tiger. Just a beautiful guitar. That one took a while to find, but I eventually found one. It was in perfect shape. Simply a spectacular looking guitar. I put a Seymour Duncan JB in it, like most of my other guitars.

Over the next few years, I did everything to love the sound of the guitar. I put 4 different Seymour Duncan pickups in it, trying to find "that sound". None of them worked.

It wasn't until this weekend that I found out why. I've never been a "tone wood" person, but the fact that I tried a Kramer reissue with an Alder body and I absolutely hated the sound. This prompted me to check the specs on the 3 guitars that I don't play because of the sound. I was shocked to find out that these 3 are the only guitars I own with Alder bodies. It has to be that I simply do not like Alder body guitars. It can't be a simple coincidence that I dislike the sound on these 3 guitars, and they are the only 3 guitars I own with Alder bodies.

It seems my preference is maple bodies, followed by basswood, a distant 3rd is Mahogany, then everything else even cardboard, then Alder.

The 3 guitars that have an Alder body are the SB Tiger, Lynch LTD Green Kamikaze, Lynch LTD Burnt Tiger.

So, I am seriously considering the unthinkable. Selling my Sunburst Tiger. The thing that is holding me back, aside from how beautiful it is, is that it plays like butter. It's a joy to play. I just don't like the sound. I am leaning toward selling all 3 guitars and putting the money toward an actual ESP Sunburst Tiger, which has a maple body.

The Burnt Tiger is a hard one to think of selling. It was one of 330 ever made. Considering it was a few years ago, I'm guessing that it's one of maybe 100 that are still in pristine condition. I never got along with it. Like the SB Tiger, it plays great, but I don't like the sound.

I'm trying not to jump in and put them up ASAP. But, I don't really have a good reason to keep them. If I'm not playing them, sell them.

mirage2101

If you're not playing them they deserve a good home and someone who cares for them.
I had a story about your journey finding what's right for you.. But in the end it's simple.. Not using things is a shame and they deserve better. And you'll want your holy grail anyway.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Do you have the opportunity to try the ESP Sunburst Tiger? That would be the first step I suppose, find out if you like that enough to sell the guitars you have now.

beans & rice

I know the feeling. Not a guitar, but I've been there. Good move, letting them go.
Although I kinda felt like that about the Kramer Ferrington. I wanted one since they came out in the 80s, it was a "must have" for so long. When I finally got one a few years back, it just wasn't for me.
Tell your son he can have it, but he has to play the intro to Paris is Burning from Breaking the Chains. :bounce: