Hwy 1 strat old and new

Status
Not open for further replies.

wineredstudio

guitar manwhore
Well as you may know I sold my les Paul (my wine red studio) and bought a 2002 highway one strat. Well being me (stupid) I did my research after I bought it, but that could also be a good thing. I found that the 1st Gen Hwy 1's were 2002-2005 and the new or "upgraded ones" were mid 2005- present day. The 1st Gen's were a bare bones strat made in corona CA. U.S.A with a Mexican bridge and U.S "vintage style pickups with staggered poles" and the new ones have hotter alnico 3 pickups (that a lot of people say aren't as good) a bigger 70s style headstock and logo, les gloss on the neck, bigger frets, uglier colors, (ok that's just my preference lol) and that's about it. So I love my 1st gen hwy 1. it's the nicest strat I have ever played and I'm a strat guy. It feels like I'm playing a stick of butter the neck is so nice, lmao. And to my ears it sounds better than the alnico 3 or alnico 5s. So enough of my talking, anyone here have had experience with ether the new or old ones?

HolyDiver

I'm getting a new one because the pickups are the nicest strat pups i've ever heard (with limited experience) the and the greasebucket tone circuit is BOSS and the neck is a masterpiece. :D :D :D
It's also being painted candy/sunset orange white the pickguard and all plastic hardware being swapped to black :D :D

I want one! Just need to shift my 7. How is the satin finish? It looks really cool and I bet it wears nicely with use. I miss my old strat.

wineredstudio

guitar manwhore
I'm not a big fan of the American specials. They use crappy pickups to cut costs highway ones use Mexican bridges. But like you said strats are strats (unless it's a squire)

wineredstudio

guitar manwhore
I want one! Just need to shift my 7. How is the satin finish? It looks really cool and I bet it wears nicely with use. I miss my old strat.
It wears very fast and nicely. I compare it to playing a stick of butter the neck is so nice! Lmao but don't buy the new ones (mid 2005 and up) they have crappy pickups and not as nice necks. You can tell by the headstock, the newer ones are bigger 70s style

MM14

City Goer
I'm not a big fan of the American specials. They use crappy pickups to cut costs highway ones use Mexican bridges. But like you said strats are strats (unless it's a squire)
ive played some squiers that are better than fenders and the squiers weren't even classic vibe or the old MiJ

HolyDiver

The finish is great. I don't know if I'm the only one but I found that when I played strats (or any glossy guitar for that matter) my right wrist always got stuck when I did big arm movements. The satin finish cures that problem :)

wineredstudio

guitar manwhore
ive played some squiers that are better than fenders and the squiers weren't even classic vibe or the old MiJ
Some squires play way better than fenders. There just not "real" strats ya know? And you have to know there use way less quality woods and prices of building. Plus playing better isn't the end of the world. A setup will take care of that. You can raise your wood quality with a screwdriver.

MM14

City Goer
Some squires play way better than fenders. There just not "real" strats ya know? And you have to know there use way less quality woods and prices of building. Plus playing better isn't the end of the world. A setup will take care of that. You can raise your wood quality with a screwdriver.
i'm not talking about just playing i mean sounding better, better tuning stability, better build quality and better QC

oilpit

I'm pretty sure I have a gen 2, but I don't really care because I LOVE IT TO DEATH.

Hwy 1's really are the absolute best value for the money on the market. I usually hate when people say things like this (because 95% of the time it's total BS) but most Hwy 1's stand up VERY favorably to American Standard and nicer Strats and more often than not, they are better guitars. I would recommend a pickup swap though, the stockers aren't the best. But throw some Duncans or Dimarzios in there and they absolutely sing.

I swear the neck on mine was somehow custom made to fit my hand.

Did I mention I love my Strat?

wineredstudio

guitar manwhore
I'm pretty sure I have a gen 2, but I don't really care because I LOVE IT TO DEATH.

Hwy 1's really are the absolute best value for the money on the market. I usually hate when people say things like this (because 95% of the time it's total BS) but most Hwy 1's stand up VERY favorably to American Standard and nicer Strats and more often than not, they are better guitars. I would recommend a pickup swap though, the stockers aren't the best. But throw some Duncans or Dimarzios in there and they absolutely sing.

I swear the neck on mine was somehow custom made to fit my hand.

Did I mention I love my Strat?
Lol I know what you mean. Once you own one it feels like it was made for you

Status
Not open for further replies.