Hum through speakers/headphones using audio interface into PC

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
As the title says, I get a hell of a lot of noise/interference when using my audio interface, which records, so it's coming through the whole signal chain.

I'm using Guitar>Focusrite Saffire 6 USB>PC>DAW+VST or just standalone amp modeller.

I get the interference regardless of the guitar I use, even my Eggle with EMG 81/85, so it's not shielding, and the interference is attenuated somewhat if I move away from my PC, so I guess something somewhere is picking up interference from that.

Any suggestions?

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
Is it possible that you have a ground loop in your setup?
Shouldn't think so, as the interface is USB powered. One thing I haven't tried yet is a ferrite magnet on the USB cable. If I hold any guitar close to the PC, the noise gets worse, so it isn't a shielding issue. The interference is definitely coming from my PC, but there's a lot of shit in there, including 6 hard drives and a large water cooling system. It's only really noticeable on high gain patches, especially if I have a boost or overdrive in there somewhere.

ed lespaul

Ok, to debug it, you need to open MixControl for the Focusrite. You might be clipping the signal.

Start at the source and work your way into the PC, checking/switching cables, etc.