How loud do you play at home?

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Jesus, I'm certain that's louder than I play with my band!! My Marshall never went about 4!
I once had the Bugera at 8 in a pub, it was brutal! That band was waaaaaay too loud and combined with the drop A tuning there was no escape! The bassist still seemed to drown everyone else out. We were "politely' asked to turn down since glasses and bottles were vibrating off the bar! Good times. :D

Jesus, I'm certain that's louder than I play with my band!! My Marshall never went about 4!
At great risk of sounding like an old fart, I could play as loud as I want but don’t want to wear hearing protection at home, knacker my hearing or piss off neighbours. I’m detached but if it’s too loud it can still be heard outside etc. Basic consideration for others and all that.

If any of my neighbours took the piss playing at Wembley volumes, I’d not hesitate in highlighting the error of their ways.

mirage2101

If any of my neighbours took the piss playing at Wembley volumes, I’d not hesitate in highlighting the error of their ways.
Ah "do not underestimate the volume a pissed off guitar player will produce if your music is too loud". This should be in a book with common advice somewhere. I have shown people the error of their ways by doing this too.

Ah "do not underestimate the volume a pissed off guitar player will produce if your music is too loud". This should be in a book with common advice somewhere. I have shown people the error of their ways by doing this too.
I think the moral of the story is play nicely with the other children. We all like a bit of volume on occasion but we shouldn't be inflicting super loud on folks outside of a gig or rehearsal room.

.....Or back on topic, how many of us are damaging our hearing without realising.....

beans & rice

Because of this thread, I was reminded of a time after I first started playing, I was maybe 15, and I used to run my Fender reverb amp around 4 or 5 with the windows open. Thought I was hot shit. :p
Got a call from an anonymous neighbor one afternoon telling me to stop. :bounce:

Chu

Because of this thread, I was reminded of a time after I first started playing, I was maybe 15, and I used to run my Fender reverb amp around 4 or 5 with the windows open. Thought I was hot shit. :p
Got a call from an anonymous neighbor one afternoon telling me to stop. :bounce:
As a teen, when I was 'inbetween cars' I put my car stereo and subwoofers in my bedroom to watch films through..... And cranked my amp to whatever I liked.....

I know just how difficult a difficult neighbour can be and how long people will put up with something in silence before finally snapping. If there is anything I can do to ensure my nice neighbours stay nice, I'm in.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
As a teen, when I was 'inbetween cars' I put my car stereo and subwoofers in my bedroom to watch films through..... And cranked my amp to whatever I liked.....

I know just how difficult a difficult neighbour can be and how long people will put up with something in silence before finally snapping. If there is anything I can do to ensure my nice neighbours stay nice, I'm in.
I've always made sure that if I do make a fair bit of noise that I never do it for too long and not later than 9pm. Life's a lot easier with friendly neighbours.

Not too loud or too much right now.

While December finally brought me a nice Mesa/Boogie 295 poweramp which can be counted on being very rare in Denmark I still have to get cabinets of choice and retube it as that still has original '90s powertubes in.

But I realized that the recording outputs on my Mesa/Boogie Quad preamp is despite having it since early 2000 something I have never tested. The manual raves about them.

So I hooked up my Tascam 414 4 track cassete deck and a Beomaster 6000 reciver for monitor. The Quad record out A or B directly to mic input on the 414.

Pretty old school no computer!

The sound is still very amazing from clean to crunch to and Justice For all no kidding!

Bursts of loud monitors have gone down the last few days. Still it looks like I will be moving to the UK and the Quad would be now ideal for flat use and headphones.

Remy

Middle Aged Newb
Quietly enough that a Mustang GT40 goes louder than I use most of the time. On rare occasions I'll turn whatever I'm using up past that but usually that's not with me that close so the SPL at my ears is probably not much higher, it just gets that "loud in the room" feel. I mostly play through my Helix and the PA speaker so volume is largely divorced from tone. Too much or too little and it's obvious, but within the PA's good range it's just a matter of how much I want to feel the music versus just hear it.
Generally I'm with the bulk of you guys and gals, quiet enough that I can hear other stuff in the house and wouldn't be seriously pissing off a neighbor if I had one. I value my ears too much to crank it further very often. I'd say loud TV is about as far as I go on a regular basis and normally it's at a more moderate TV level or even quiet. Since I'm a lot closer to the speaker than I would be to a TV it's a lot quieter for anyone else around.

Remy

Middle Aged Newb
So, for the purposes of a small video I did some testing this morning. I used a phone app decibel meter so reference points are as follows.
37-40 ambient house noise and the baseline hum of the Micro Dark just being on, no high gain or anything crazy.
Refigerator hum got up to around 42 or 43 at a similar distance, which is a few feet away.
My normal playing would be around 80 peak, maybe a bit lower most of the time. That is true regardless of amp/cab/speaker setup.
Loud but still something I would do gets to 104 on chords and around 97 for regular picking. Again, that's a few feet from the cab, so probably a bit lower at my ears normally.
At 110 I felt it was too loud for not wearing ear plugs and an unframed 8x10 photo slid off a shelf, the cat ran away, and I decided to stop increasing the volume. That was still 83 down the hall with a closed door in the way. That's 9 decibels higher than the "loud" setting was at that distance.

The Micro dark had plenty of room left and at normal distances will happily cause hearing loss.
The GT40 capped out at 94 from a few feet away. It had a tiny bit more to give, but the speakers didn't and just started choking past that.
My Helix into the Harbinger PA would be around 80-90 and probably doesn't get past around 100 without the Harbinger causing distortion of its own. Since it's got massively more power than the Micro Dark that is hysterical to me, but is an example of different power amp classes and qualities.

Remy

Middle Aged Newb
you either play clean or you need to repaint the walls ;-)
If you have a fx loop, put a volume pedal in there. The Micro Dark has no master (but no where near the output you probably have) and when I do four cable with the Helix it works fine using the Helix pedal as a master volume so I can actually USE the gain on the Micro Dark.