How hard is it to find like-minded bandmates?

EMM

I am the cat who walks by himself
Thing is, they're only boring and unimaginative if you let them be. My mate plays drums in a Catfish And The Bottleman/Early Arctic Monkeys style indie band, but their bass player is ON FIRE. His basslines are really captivating, his runs are great and if anything, he stands out the more for it. I almost ended up playing bass in a band that were going to play similar music, which I can't stand listening to, but I was looking forward to switching things up and playing in a different setting than I normally do.

Have you ever been in a band before? Like the guys said, it might be a good idea to take a back seat, learn the essentials of performing live and maybe once you've gotten a knack for it, moving up the ladder. If anything, metalcore might be your best avenue. Sure, it's not prog, but it's the closest thing you might have. And like they said, the more involved with a band you are, you might be able to get your foot in the door songwriting-wise and get those influences thrown in the mix.

At the end of the day man, there's bound to be a prog rock band wanting forming somewhere in your area. Try joinmyband.com. I've formed a post-grunge esque band in a city that's also mostly indie bands and pop punk kids, its taken us a while to get off the ground, but we're slowly getting there :)
About 3 years ago, I completed a college course in Performing Arts, so I'm fairly competent in performing in a band situation and very nearly formed my first band on the course, but all sorts of problems stopped that from happening. I do the occasional one-off gig for fun with a few mates but I haven't written music with a band before.

Joinmyband.com is a great site and is probably my best chance for finding a band. I have replied to a few local ads on there which seem to fit the bill (no messages back as of yet but only time will tell).

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I've been in bands where we have fairly similar tastes and attitudes and others where people were so different; if it wasn't for the band I doubt we would have ever met. You never know what's gonna work, you just have to try it.

ScutMonkey

If you want to be in a band then you need to just go out and be in a bad. I was at a practice one night and we were playing a couple songs we'd written that I was just meh about. I was tired from work and I just didn't care about any of it. Then I looked at what I was doing and thought to myself, "Holy crap, I'm playing drums in a band. How cool is that?"

Everything else is excuses. If you want to be in a band, go do it. Might last a couple weeks, might last 10 years. "But it might be boring." Are you bored now? Yes. Then what in the world do you have to lose? GO DO IT.

Chu

If you want to be in a band then you need to just go out and be in a bad. I was at a practice one night and we were playing a couple songs we'd written that I was just meh about. I was tired from work and I just didn't care about any of it. Then I looked at what I was doing and thought to myself, "Holy crap, I'm playing drums in a band. How cool is that?"

Everything else is excuses. If you want to be in a band, go do it. Might last a couple weeks, might last 10 years. "But it might be boring." Are you bored now? Yes. Then what in the world do you have to lose? GO DO IT.
The last three decent drummers I've been in bands with have basically said 'I don't care what music we play, I just want to play drums'.

EMM

Quick update on the band thing, have put 2 ads on JMB so far without much luck. Quite a fair few views but only 1 reply to the first one. I've decided to promote the next ad I post on there for a fortnight so let's see what happens. I've also started going to a lot more local gigs than I usually do, even though it's making me skint!;)
But I really enjoy socializing and geeking out with other musicicans, so no complaints there.
I have also guested on stage with a friends band, which was really fun to do!

Watch this space for further updates!

EMM

Had an email saying that someone replied to my ad!
I was so shocked I couldn't have opened the email any quicker!

Anyway the reply was from a chap looking for another guitarist for his band, fair enough.
However, it was very obvious that he never read my advert in full ad he described his bands sound as "pop punk."

What??? Are you kidding me?

Like is this the only genre cats want to play round here? Holy S***!

Well I replied kindly saying pop punk is not my thing and he was fine about it.

Plus I am grateful some has ACTUALLY replied to my ad!

Rant Over

Chu

Sorry for the questions.....

How many replies have you had to your adverts?
How many people have you contacted through their adverts?

Speaking from experience, if I post an advert such as "Guitarist looking for others or band in the Cambridge area. Interests include Faith No More, Devin Townsend and Fightstar" I'll get a big fat fuck all, every time.

A few years back, when I posted 'Experienced lead singer/guitarist looking for a band' I had a bunch of responses within a week. Despite not being a huge fan, I went with the one which was creating a grunge cover band (Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Nirvana and Foo Fighters) because they had their own rehearsal room and 6k PA just 5 miles from my home.

If I post "Guitarist wanted to join lead vocalist/guitarist and drummer. Influences include Faith No More, Devin Townsend and Fightstar" I'll be inundated with responses hell bent on persuading me that the differences in musical taste/ambition don't matter.

When our last bass player left, each response to the advert made it clear that whilst the musical direction wasn't exactly to their taste, they enjoyed it enough to give it a go. We got to pick the best fit for us and now we have a chap that is massively into funk playing in a hard rock band!

I'd never be content in a pub covers band but as long as the project allows me to do my thing, I'm happy. And that's the thing, I could play in any number of bands and it's still going to end up sounding like me in it.

Ultimately, every band I have ever played in has been a fluid entity, with band members coming and going for a number of reasons. Looking for 'The One' is pointless, as if you find it, someone will end up leaving and the band will inevitably change sound/direction. And no single band will satisfy my artistic needs. Every time I'm in a rock band, I end up writing and recording acoustic or electronic stuff that never makes it to the band. And when I was in an acoustic trio, I built up a bunch of rock songs which are now in my current band.

I wish you all the best but I strongly recommend joining anything you can tolerate and see where that gets you. You'll meet loads of other musicians along the way and who knows where that might lead.

EMM

Sorry for the questions.....

How many replies have you had to your adverts?
How many people have you contacted through their adverts?

Speaking from experience, if I post an advert such as "Guitarist looking for others or band in the Cambridge area. Interests include Faith No More, Devin Townsend and Fightstar" I'll get a big fat fuck all, every time.

A few years back, when I posted 'Experienced lead singer/guitarist looking for a band' I had a bunch of responses within a week. Despite not being a huge fan, I went with the one which was creating a grunge cover band (Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Nirvana and Foo Fighters) because they had their own rehearsal room and 6k PA just 5 miles from my home.

If I post "Guitarist wanted to join lead vocalist/guitarist and drummer. Influences include Faith No More, Devin Townsend and Fightstar" I'll be inundated with responses hell bent on persuading me that the differences in musical taste/ambition don't matter.

When our last bass player left, each response to the advert made it clear that whilst the musical direction wasn't exactly to their taste, they enjoyed it enough to give it a go. We got to pick the best fit for us and now we have a chap that is massively into funk playing in a hard rock band!

I'd never be content in a pub covers band but as long as the project allows me to do my thing, I'm happy. And that's the thing, I could play in any number of bands and it's still going to end up sounding like me in it.

Ultimately, every band I have ever played in has been a fluid entity, with band members coming and going for a number of reasons. Looking for 'The One' is pointless, as if you find it, someone will end up leaving and the band will inevitably change sound/direction. And no single band will satisfy my artistic needs. Every time I'm in a rock band, I end up writing and recording acoustic or electronic stuff that never makes it to the band. And when I was in an acoustic trio, I built up a bunch of rock songs which are now in my current band.

I wish you all the best but I strongly recommend joining anything you can tolerate and see where that gets you. You'll meet loads of other musicians along the way and who knows where that might lead.
The biggest problem atm is replying to another persons ad and them not replying back. I've probably replied to more ads than you can shake a stick at, but I'm not getting a reply. All the PMs on JMB have been directed towards my adverts, and they have all been from either pop punk (a genre I can't tolerate much beyond Green Day) bands or random metal bands asking for drummers (which I am not particularly good at).

I don't just want to join a cover band either because I do that already with a few mates (who are already in bands that write their own music) and we enjoy doing that and having a laugh, despite the fact we are playing songs we absolutely detest!

If all else fails, I will enforce plan B, which is to not to form a full band, but to find a singer/writing partner with similar tastes and play everything except vocals myself and eventually when I can gain a steady income, hire several session musicians (which I know quite a few) in order to play the material live.

AdiHughes

Sessions, Lessons & Shred
It can be hard, I totally appreciate that you don't want to do just anything. Malvern isn't exactly a hub for young musicians either, so you'd probably be looking further afield which has it's own problems.

If I was you, I'd write and record a few songs, then from there advertise that you are looking for musicians to join the project. That way, they can listen to your sound and might feel that they actually can add something to it.

EMM

It can be hard, I totally appreciate that you don't want to do just anything. Malvern isn't exactly a hub for young musicians either, so you'd probably be looking further afield which has it's own problems.

If I was you, I'd write and record a few songs, then from there advertise that you are looking for musicians to join the project. That way, they can listen to your sound and might feel that they actually can add something to it.
You are thinking what I'm thinking, because I have so many riffs and ideas that I feel wouldn't work in any old band. I may have no choice but to record everything myself. If I could find a decent singer/songwriter that is interested in making progressive music, that would be a plus, since I am pretty competent at Guitar, Bass and drums, I just can't piece a song together well.

sidthekidlives

I know I'm not chipping in much here guys but this thread has been very informative and inspirational to me. In particular in how you make contact with other musicians via ads. It seems that genre specifics and other terms can give people a reason not to reply and sometimes hinder more conversations than they perhaps promote. Currently desperately looking for a bass player for our covers band , I'm going to adopt this policy and see where it leads ! fingers crossed. I also resonate alot with the notions that being in any kind of functioning band leads to opportunities and growth ; vive la difference !

Last edited:

Wuzza

long time lurker
How goes the search dude?

Just asking because I've been promising myself I need to get playing/jamming again for the last year or so. Just listened to a bit of Karnivool and Oceansize, and while I've not heard them before, I can hear Radiohead and Jeff Buckley in Catalyst and a bit of shoegazing funk in All I know, digging it.

So, if your current influx runs dry, and, you know, you're a bit desperate, you could always hit me up (I've an extremely broad musical taste) if for nothing more than a pint and a chat. Open invite. :)

Oh, and I live in Worcester. ;) (btw, I do have 20 years on you)

I think it is so hard to find band mates, because you are asking people to take seriously something that is, to them, a hobby. Then the likely hood, that a band, is going really going to turn a profit, is not really good.

Costs are high, returns are small, fans love you one day and forget you the next. It is really hard to get 3 to 6 persons to collaborate on anything.

EMM

Ok, time to revive this unpolished turd of a thread.

Still no band as of yet, but I have been introduced to a colleague of my mother who is classically trained and has very similar tastes in music as me that is also looking for a band/project to join.

Proves that it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.