Harley Benton

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Kahuna Nui, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Pippin89

Pippin89 Member

You might well be right but even if it proved to be great i still wouldnt trust it. I never use a trem anyway. Had it on one guitar I've owned and I just never used it. So for me its just a possible point of failure that I don't need.

2. GloopyJon

GloopyJon Woof!

Then check out one of their hardtail PRS knock-offs (although I don't particularly like recommending cheap copies):
    https://www.tho.mn/be/harley_benton_cst_24hb_tortoise_flame.htm?sid=3a1f9f4363018ecdec68993372712ccd
    (this is a hollowbody model)
    https://www.tho.mn/be/harley_benton_cst_24_paradise_flame.htm?sid=3a1f9f4363018ecdec68993372712ccd
    (Custom 24 with hardtail)

You can search for other variants on the Thomann website. It seems that the Harley Benton CST models are the PRS rip-offs, with variants CST-24 (normal Custom 24, hardtail), CST-24HB (hollowbody, hardtail) and CST-24T (custom 24 with tremolo bridge). The TOL suffix indicates a Tree of Life inlaid fretboard.

The only other PRS clone that Harley Benton does is the XT-22, which appears to be a copy of the Santana model. This also has a hardtail.
    https://www.tho.mn/be/harley_benton_xt_22_black_cherry_flame.htm

I'd like to recommend a genuine PRS instead, but obviously they aren't exactly in the same price range.

Robstafarian and johnniegoat like this.
  3. Pippin89

Pippin89 Member

I think you may have misunderstood. I am aware of the hardtail versions. However, they didnt do the hardtail version in the Green colour. That one only came with a trem. I also own an XT-22. I was merely hoping that they would make the red colour as a non trem version.

4. GloopyJon

GloopyJon Woof!

Ah, then you probably need to order a Private Stock PRS guitar, then you can specify any colour you like.

5. CoryMura

CoryMura Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] hey everybody! quite confusing but cool to see my xt22 pic all the time as Pippin89s profile pic.
    the HB CST24s are a steal and the wilkinson trem is gold. its in fact one of my favorites trem and the guitar doesnt go out of tune anytime.
    btw its true ...HB is changing the CST24 and SC custom production into tokai factories (china)...its as far as i know planned that we get the first guitars from there in early 2018...with new Logo etc.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  6. CoryMura

CoryMura Member

7. CoryMura

CoryMura Member

DSC_0860_lzn (Large).jpg Ahhh...now its working with the pics. sorry.. i was a little bit confused with uploading pics. so thats for example the sc custom in ocean flame and here one of my cst24s just so everybody knows which 2 models i am talking about.

8. CoryMura

CoryMura Member

Ohhh...ok NOW its fun to upload some pics :)
    DSC_0854_lzn (Large).jpg

9. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus” Staff Member

10. Pippin89

Pippin89 Member

I bought that guitar largely based on your review so it seemed fitting!! :dance:

Robstafarian and everfreetree like this.
  11. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Stop, don’t, come back.

point of interest

you could have all 3 guitars that Cory has in the above picture *and* a Boss Katana 50 combo to plug them into for @£770 or so from Thomann

the price for a PRS SE Custom 24 (a normal model) is @ £800

you can argue the korean v's chinese quality (or even ethical) argument, but for VFM, it looks hard to go wrong

and HB are using Roseacer for the fretboards and ship globally, so no CITEs issues either

Andeus likes this.
  12. A.J.

A.J. 80's Guitar FTW

I've heard a lot of good things recently about this brand, I know a lot of ppl that use their bass guitars. I mean they do a Jazz-Bass with Alder body for like £111.

Been looking at the PRS-style one myself recently, looking at Henning's review there could be a few flaws, but he said thomann will happily have them back within the 30 day period. If I was to go for one I'd go for a hard tail - buy locking tuners, some new pickups + electronics.

13. Robstafarian

This has piqued my interest in the Harley Benton XT-22. Unfortunately, its neck geometry will not work for me.

14. Tetanus

Tetanus Well-Known Member

I had really bad experience ages ago with Harley Benton guitars.
    Since then, their instruments became really good. And you can spend the money you saved on the HB deal on the hardware, PUs etc.
    Since I could use a bass lately (again) I've been thinking to get a HB bass. Preferably a PJ4. I would prefer a Warwick but for this price-point, i probably will end up with a HB.

Robstafarian likes this.
  15. Alpheus

Alpheus RNA MUSIC OWNER

YouTube Channel:
    RNAMUSICShortStShred

I've got to say, in photos those look really nice.

What's in a name anyways?

Robstafarian likes this.
  16. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

I think Harley Benton is a really good option, especially if you don't have much to spend. I'll be honest though, the brand name itself bugs me a bit. I'd prefer a single word, I'm not sure why, I just would. I've still got my goldtop and bass.

ten-foot-tryptych likes this.
  17. Alpheus

Alpheus RNA MUSIC OWNER

YouTube Channel:
    RNAMUSICShortStShred

like....

SCHECTER.

I like them haha.

Wade Garrett and Robstafarian like this.
  18. Robstafarian

Me too, it really upset me that their thickest neck profile is still too thin for me.

19. Andeus

Andeus Well-Known Member

This post troubled me. It created thoughts that are contradicting my GAS and making things harder.

I've said before of how I really like SGs, but have I said elsewhere in the forum that I'm GASing for a SG Special T I found in a local store for ~650 euros? (that's ~579GBP / 768 USD). It's a good price I believe, better than Anderton's/ Thomann etc. but now comes this post and I'm thinking that for the same amount I could get:
    • An Ocean Blue CST24T
    • A Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (because my current sound rig on my PC sucks when I plug any guitar)
    and then a choice of either:

• A Katana 50W
    • An electric-acoustic guitar and a HB Bass
    • 50-100 euros worth of upgrades on the HB and one of the above instruments.

That's a good argument against the SG isn't it? And yet GAS does whatever the GAS wants.