Harley Benton

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Kahuna Nui, Jul 17, 2017 at 7:22 AM.

1. Kahuna Nui

Kahuna Nui The Big Kahuna

Can I get some honest opinions/reviews/tips/stories/recommendations please. Only just started looking at this brand as a cheap/fun platform for customising.

Where do y'all get your from btw? I'm obviously in the UK, and I've no real intention of ordering direct from Thomann, unless that's the best/only option.

2. Poseidon

Poseidon Mad Butcher

I've never had anything but good experiences with every Harley Benton I got my hands on.
    And if there were things that weren't quite right, usually nothing that couldn't be fixed with a bit of fettling.

HB is Thomann's house brand, so no other option.

3. Kahuna Nui

Cheers mate. I've looked at their site, and to be honest, nine quid carriage is nothing. Where in the market would you place their build quality? Close to Vintage, maybe? I fancy building a dirty Tele, something along the lines of a modded Cabronita.

4. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Stop, don’t, come back.

as far as i know HB often rebrand stuff - their pedals are Joyos, some of their Les Pauls are very obviously rebranded Vintage

you should look up Henning Pauly - he does a load of work with/ for Thomann and gives pretty decent and honest reviews and demos on the recent guitars

alonious_monk likes this.
  5. Kahuna Nui

Was watching Cory Mura earlier

CoryMura likes this.
  6. johnniegoat

7. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

I've bought a guitar and two I basses. Decent quality overall and perfect for modding. Some people have had issues but the same could be said for all brands.

8. Kahuna Nui

Thinking about it, I saw a HB Les Paul on Gumtree this morning, and it had the new Vintage guitars angled neck joint, the anti lawsuit one. Makes you wonder.

9. Pippin89

Pippin89 New Member

Even if there was another option in the UK, the biggest advantage of Harley Benton is you are buying direct from the source which saves middle man costs. So a UK supplier would probably add £100 or so to the cost. If not more.

10. Kahuna Nui

Very good point.

11. johnniegoat

yep - that is the give away

the V100 is a great guitar as well. definitely worth it

12. GloopyJon

GloopyJon Woof!

I've bought a few things from Harley Benton, and I have a friend who bought a cheap guitar from them.

I have a Vintage G112 cab which is great, genuine Celestion speaker at a bargain price.

I bought two of their Power Plants for my pedalboard, which I've recently replaced by a more expensive power supply because I had some hum - not too bad, but noticeable. The hum has disappeared with the new power supply.

I also bought a kit guitar from them, which was very cheap (about £50, IIRC) and for the money you can't complain, but the neck didn't fit terribly well in the pocket and is a little bit crooked. I need to take it off one day and straighten it up. I'd say that if you know what you're doing and are prepared to correct any problems, it's fine, but if you want something that will be perfect then you need to spend more money.

My friend bought a cheap guitar - I forget which model - but it had one or two bad problems with the fretwork, impossible to sort out without replacing a couple of frets, and he sent it back. He bought an Epiphone to replace it which was a bit more expensive, I think, but he's much happier with it. From what I've seen and heard elsewhere, he was a bit unlucky and most of them are decent, but it seems to be a little bit of a lottery.

On balance, some things I'd happily buy from them. I don't think I'd buy a guitar; I might buy a kit with the knowledge that it would probably require some work, although nowadays I'm more interested in starting from the bare wood and doing it all myself.

As a final word, Thomann's customer service is excellent and I certainly have no hesitation in recommending them from that perspective.

Robstafarian and johnniegoat like this.
  13. Joeli0sis

Joeli0sis Active Member

Yeah I might buy their 112 cab just to knock around

14. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

Come to think if it I have the 2x12" with the v30's too, I forgot about that! The only "complaint" is that the tolex is very soft and rips easily but I like that it looks like it's been on a world tour or two by now even though it hasn't been out of the country!

Robstafarian likes this.
  15. bad alice

bad alice Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!

Kahuna Nui, @ssinine and Robstafarian like this.