Hackintosh - is it worth the hassle?

Discussion in 'Geeks Unite' started by NebraskaPL, May 14, 2015.

1. NebraskaPL

NebraskaPL plays jazz on a Stratocaster

I'm forced to buy a new computer, I've decided I'll go for a desktop this time. Obvious choice would be a PC with Windows 8/10, but I stumbled across the Hackintosh concept... I would like to try switching to Mac, but their prices are absurd, so that is the only option for me really. It isn't that easy, apparently, so my question for you, OS X users, is this - is it worth spending extra time and energy to get everything working together? I will use this computer for (other than Interwebz):

- music editing software, most likely Reaper
    - programming in C/C++, Java (Android apps) and possibly Python/Ruby in the future
    - Matlab and CAD software, not often, but I need those for now

Is it even worth bothering with OS X, or possibly a dual boot in my situation? What do you think?

2. M3AK

M3AK Fretboard Shogun

I have a home built pc running Windows and a MacBook pro. My honest answer is that whichever you choose will be fine. It's just a preference sort of thing. Anything that is Apple exclusive someone has mad a Windows variant of and vice versa. Go to an Apple store and play around with OS X. If you like it then go for it. If you don't I wouldn't bother. Like I say it's purely preference.

Tetanus and NebraskaPL like this.
  3. ViniciusIbaldo

ViniciusIbaldo lissenin to dat trap shit all the time

Unless you want to use OS X exclusive software, no, not really.

I think mac minis are aight tho

4. shreditpenfold

shreditpenfold Well-Known Member

I would just get/build a PC with windows for now, you can always try a dual boot later.

NebraskaPL likes this.
  5. NebraskaPL

NebraskaPL plays jazz on a Stratocaster

Thanks guys! I'm pretty much convinced now that's not the best idea for me... I'm a lifelong Windows user anyway, and the whole process is a little bit off-putting, with little significant benefits afterward it seems.

After spending most of the day reading various hackintosh related sites I at least settled on a config for my PC :p

Yep, I've considered them, but there's too many things I would compromise (SSD system drive, better CPU, more RAM) and which are important for me.

6. jaden

jaden Shutchore maaaf and look at my WAD !

YouTube Channel:
    JadenRoseGuitars
    I do it the other way around.. have a mac with Xp running on parallels and Win7 on a separate partition.
    I sometimes run 2 screens and have windows on one and OSX on the other

Ben Messenger likes this.
  7. doctorpaul

doctorpaul Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full. Staff Member

I have absolutely no idea what you just said.

Some of the individual words ... like ... I understand SOME of them individually ... but together like that? (Shakes head)

Ben Messenger and jaden like this.
  8. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

There is little point in running a Hackintosh, unless a fetish demands that you pay someone to hold your balls in a vice grip.

If you want to have an alternative to Windows, then install Linux. Set up a dual boot with Ubuntu Studio 14.04LTS and use it when you feel like it. Importantly, a little bit of Linux knowledge may save your ass (and your data) should something go wrong with your Windows installation. Words cannot express the powerful freedom one feels when "my computer does not boot" is changed to "my Windows installation does not boot." While there may be a lot you need in Windows that cannot be used in Linux, you could still grab a file and email it to your professor.

Ask questions before you do anything, and be damned careful that you do not wipe out Windows in the course of installing Linux!

lupinehorror and NebraskaPL like this.
  9. lupinehorror

lupinehorror smir

Robstafarian likes this.
  10. @ssinine

@ssinine Professional noodler

The only problem with Linux being running Reaper via Wine and VST compatibility.
    I love Lubuntu which I'm running off a USB flash right now but my Win7 is staying solely because of Reaper.

NebraskaPL, figure out the apps that you will use most and then choose a platform accordingly. Multi-boots / virtual machines allow for everything else.

NebraskaPL and Robstafarian like this.
  11. Magnus Pym

Magnus Pym Grudges rot the soul

Just got to say that I found Windows 8 a pain in the arse, thought I could live with it but migrated back to Win7 pretty quickly.

Robstafarian likes this.
  12. MrDon

MrDon Owner of a heap of shit dentist guitars

Mac mini...install windows, mac and linux. Cheap and effective.

Magnus Pym likes this.
  13. Robstafarian

Upgrading down the line will be difficult, which hurts its cost effectiveness.

14. MrDon

MrDon Owner of a heap of shit dentist guitars

Its not actually that difficult. The whole thing comes out as one unit. If you have some technical ability you can replace the hdd, ram etc.

Buy a good machine and be done with it. I have computers coming out my ears and wouldnt ever be without a decent Mac.

15. Robstafarian

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+Teardown/30410

One more caveat about making a Hackintosh that I should have thought to mention earlier: if your university has a site license for OS X, then running a Hackintosh might stir up a lot of trouble.

16. Magnus Pym

Magnus Pym Grudges rot the soul

I've never bought a new computer. The depreciation is too high, top spec now is old news 6 months down the line. I always go for refurbs. a) it's much cheaper, b) it avoids unpaid beta testing for the manufacturer c) they don't refurbish crap because it won't sell. d) I'm not rendering a Hollywood special effects movie or hard core gaming (which amounts to the same thing) so I don't need super computer power. e) I do want reliability so I like stuff with good component parts.

17. Alex Theory

Alex Theory Northern Monkey

I have a Macbook Pro with a Virtual Win7 and Win8 instance. I've never once needed to fire up my windows machine to do anything that the MBP couldn't do.

I would be interested in building a Hackintosh but only on a secondary, not required machine.

18. heminder

heminder Well-Known Member

Why use Reaper in WINE, when there's Ardour that runs natively?

Robstafarian likes this.
  19. lupinehorror

lupinehorror smir

+1 for ardour. use it here.

20. Robstafarian

Work reconnecting to my Linux neurons is still progressing, but I hope to revive my Linux installation soon. After that, I will finally give Ardour some serious time with a backup plan of either running my copy Studio One Producer 2.6 in WINE or buying a copy of Bitwig Studio.