Guitar Neck Knowledge

Guitar-Gulliver

Officially "reasonably competent"
Edit: It seems as though he enjoys being a total jackass on video in order to make money from the views. So here we have an individual who is totally misinformed and also has a lack of personal integrity... excellent!
That video you linked, he claims one of his guitars has a one-piece maple neck, but there's no skunk-stripe... Pretty sure the only company who can do a one-piece maple neck without a skunk-stripe is Gordon Smith...

What an arsehole...

Wire_n_Wood

Part-time Superhero
Hmm?

Unless there is something very wrong with my understanding of what "one-piece maple neck" is, it's not a rare thing. To make a one-piece neck you just need a solid block of wood. Usually bigger than that used for, say, a scarf-jointed neck, but that's about it.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: Aaah, you mean when there is no separate maple fretboard, in which case the truss rod would be mounted from the top. Got it! :)

EDIT 2: Then again, how do GS do it? :confused:

Nathan25

Luthier at Blackthorn Guitars.
It's a shame this guy puts his arguments forward the way he does, and is on such a vendetta. He often makes a valid point, but then ruins it by going off on an aggressive tangent (normally against wood affecting the tone of a guitar), and by using examples that just don't make a lot of sense (like playing over the inlays in this video).

He is right that things like a fretboard alone won't vastly change your sound, and claims that a rosewood fretboard will suddenly make a guitar sound "warm" are indeed false (ironically, certain types of rosewood, particularly Brazilian, have quite a bright, almost bell like ring to them when tap tested), but it will still have a tonal effect on the guitar. All the parts of a guitar form one collective resonating entity, and the combined materials and their individual densities and properties all affect how the vibrations will pass through the guitar. It's true that pickups don't "see" the wood, but it has an effect on the strings which they pickup. Even though the pickups themselves are wound to give a certain type of sound, they are still detecting strings that are influenced by the materials they are strung to. I remember Paul Reed Smith describing the guitar as the singer, and the pickups as the microphone.

And I'll agree that people can obsess too much about these things to the point that they should really just stop and enjoy playing their guitar instead. Also in other videos he encourages people to find their own sound, and not rely on what people tell you is right, and that much of a player's sound comes from them personally. I agree with all of this. He just needs to chill out a bit, especially on the wood issue, which is my main gripe with him.

David R Ferguson

Stratoholic Blues Noodler
In a live setting a lot is lost in terms of tone..... That is until you see a guy like Eric Johnson live and you think you are in a studio and then a few years later in a different venue the tone sounds just as good as the last time you heard him do it live.
Then you realize its not all crazy talk.

I can agree that good tone is good tone how ever you get it. Does not matter about amp, guitar or how your amps or guitars are made. As long as it is good tone.... But, good tone is relevant to its surrounding. SRV has amazing tone, but throw his tone into a 25 piece big band jazz group and it might not sound so epic.

The part about this guy that drives me nuts is, that he talks shit about the stuff he buys and owns. He will trash talk Gibson and then go out and pickup 4, or 5 of the things he just trashed talked.
Tacked goes a long way in this world. Sometimes its not what you say, its how you say it.
There is a reason why this grade-A American hick does not let people comment on his videos.

A lot of what he says goes out the window when you are in a recording studio and you have some of the best gear in the world recording what you are doing.

Like any other hobby the guitar world is full of a lot of hype and bullshit to better companies odds of selling their products. Just find what works for you and what you like. Nothing else matters after that.

DrJazztap

I've tried to watch one of his videos before, but formed pretty much the same opinion as everybody else. The guy doesn't help himself. You have to conduct yourself with a fair amount of respect in life, no reason to be a prick unless somebody treats you like one. You'll get your point across better, and people may actually listen to you.
Sure a pickup picks up vibration but I know for a fact that similar guitars sound completely different again due to wood and construction. Otherwise as others have mentioned we'd all be playing plywood specials.

Wire_n_Wood

Part-time Superhero
That right, well at least it used to be........
So my question was, with neither a skunk stripe nor a separate maple board, how did they put the truss rod in the neck? Unless there wasn't a rod in there. And if there wasn't I doubt they had any tricks like carbon fibre reinforcements (like Parker and Vigier) or any obscure polymers (like Hufschmid) to keep the neck straight.

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
Tacked goes a long way in this world. Sometimes its not what you say, its how you say it.
Regarding tact: in writing, what you say is how you say it.

The above is nothing more than a friendly jape. :hug:
Having "fun" isn't a good enough justification for spreading misinformation and general negativity, IMO.
If he is a troll, spreading misinformation and general negativity is as integral to his fun as cue stroking is in billiards.

Come to think of it, the Bill Burr connection makes a lot of sense. My troll roommate loves Bill Burr, whereas I see most of his jokes as being based too deeply in ignorance.

flawlessandeternal

Double OG with a Skeleton Key
I still can't stand Scott Grove. He has all these guitars allover his walls, which from what I can tell never get played outside his little videos, and in half his videos he criticizes certain design aspects of them, like how he hates guitars with bone or plastic nuts, yet he owns like 70. Or the neck joints on les pauls, and has 3 les pauls etc. And if tonewoods don't mean shit like he says, why own so many guitars, if they'll apparently sound all the same? Plus not to mention how condescending, patronizing and narcissistic the guy is. And the fact he won't let anyone else give their opinions. Not a fan of the guy at all. My opinion: He should remove his head from his arse and sell his guitars off to people who will actually play/appreciate them.

DrKarnivore

Browsing your web and SMS history
Staff member
So my question was, with neither a skunk stripe nor a separate maple board, how did they put the truss rod in the neck? Unless there wasn't a rod in there. And if there wasn't I doubt they had any tricks like carbon fibre reinforcements (like Parker and Vigier) or any obscure polymers (like Hufschmid) to keep the neck straight.
As far as I know they drill a channel from one end and stick the truss in that way. I've been to their factory (tiny) but didn't really ask.

Chu

As far as I know they drill a channel from one end and stick the truss in that way. I've been to their factory (tiny) but didn't really ask.
I spent 12 years in engineering often dealing with, no sniggering at the back, deep hole drilling. I'm just not sure it's viable to drill a channel that deep into a neck. Drills 'run out' the deeper they go ie. run off centre and the smaller they are, the worse it is. If it was a 20mm diameter channel, it'd work but that's not the case. And the deeper you go, the more the drill will heat up. To prevent the wood from burning, you drill in 'pecks' ie drill a little, come back out and usually use a coolant. The pecks make the run out even worse.

A channel the length and diameter for a truss rod would be an absolute pig to do, I'd imagine the scrap rate would be huge! I'm sure there's some hidden trick going on....