Guitar Neck Knowledge

big bear kris

He definitely is a nut case, but he's actually right. I always thought that with all my love to music my hearing is just not so great (that I cannot hear those ultra little differences in wood, fretboards). Fact is - every guitar sounds a little different, some of the are much brighter than the others but it's more wood that was used to carve the body from. Subtle differences like lacquer finish, different wood etc can be probably heard at loud volumes and studio environment. In real circumstances, with bass, drums and other instruments all that matters is that You cut through without losing Your tone.

Adji

Not Enough Prog
Complete bellend, but some interesting points. I was of the understanding that the harder the material the brighter the sound generally (and I think that IS more or less the case) but thinking about it, the fingerboard probably doesn't make THAT much difference, it will be the overall density of the guitar I guess. That said, I always hear maple as being brighter on my guitars but of course it could be
A - The rest of the guitar
B - All in my head

Wire_n_Wood

Part-time Superhero
I can't stand the guy, he's an arrogant twat. Have never been able to sit through one of his videos, except maybe the one about tuning.

With flawed examples he tries to negate years' worth of knowledge, experimentation and experience. Nathan25, jaden, Josh Sheckler (I'd also tag Patrick Hufschmid, were he still around), you should just grab any piece of wood you find and make guitars out of it. Forget the tap-tone test, forget your experience, forget even the teachings of Ervin Somogyi (yes he makes guitars with soundholes and different construction, but he is a living LEGEND and for good reason), Scott Grove says it's all bull.

The differences may be subtle, but they are real. And actually, to my ears, the maple-board Fender sounded a tiny bit brighter.

Twat!

heminder

The neck and body itself makes way more difference than the fingerboard, which is just a thin strip of wood. Plus the pickups and pot values change the sound to a bigger extent than woods. The guy is annoying though.

Nick

The guy is a prick. His collection does not justify his claim to be the authority on these matters.

Note his hypocrisy when he gets his Les Paul out... "no Studio bullshit, this is a proper guitar".

So Scott, it's NOT the wood, it's the plastic binding and inlays that make a proper guitar...?

Prick.
There's a rather large paradox between his intended message and his own self of elitism/self entitlement. That little comment about the Studio is very much a manifestation of that point!

Edit: It seems as though he enjoys being a total jackass on video in order to make money from the views. So here we have an individual who is totally misinformed and also has a lack of personal integrity... excellent!

Scott Cameron

I have no speakers on my computer so ill be plugging the headphones in shortly to listen to the onslaught of crap this guy has to say :D shall I hold my breath? lol

paulsimpson

Northern Monkey
First time I've seen this guy - I find him to be very strange. Why get so upset about this subject and make so many insults in a video like this? It certainly suggests he has some personal issues; if this is the case I can only hope he receives any help he may require.

From my own experience everything on a guitar makes a difference to the sound it makes, not to mention the amp or - I would suggest most importantly - the person playing it. We all develop our own personal preferences over time, why denigrate those of others like this? It does make me wonder if this is a wind-up of some sort.

imalone

Complete bellend, but some interesting points. I was of the understanding that the harder the material the brighter the sound generally (and I think that IS more or less the case) but thinking about it, the fingerboard probably doesn't make THAT much difference, it will be the overall density of the guitar I guess. That said, I always hear maple as being brighter on my guitars but of course it could be
A - The rest of the guitar
B - All in my head
Haven't watched the video (not enough time to listen to every crazy person on youtube), but on fingerboards... I used to think how on earth could a fingerboard possibly make a difference to tone? But the neck with a fingerboard on it is basically a two-piece ply, and while the fingerboard is thinner than the rest of the neck it's also the widest part and on the 'side' from the point of view of the stress on the neck (think of an I-beam).

@ssinine

Professional noodler
I would not want to be alone in a room with this man :D

Am I the only one who thought that the two Strats that he started off with, sound quite different? I don't know whether the difference was because of the fretboard material, though.

Frankly, any argument about what sounds 'warmer' (or better) is bound to go to hell. I can hear the difference in tone I get with a .50 gauge pick vs. a 1mm one. Would any of my non guitar-playing friends hear it? Probably not. Doesn't bother me.

It's personal. There's no right or wrong in this discussion. I don't mean to be a dick but if you showed me a photo of a Chinese dude and asked me to spot him in a sea of Chinese faces, I'd be bloody lost. But for someone living in China for a length of time, it'd be a lot easier, nay? It takes a fair amount of experience to spot the finer points. And just because I don't see (or hear) it doesn't mean that it isn't there.

This guy is just a needy kid who wants attention.

Nathan25

Luthier at Blackthorn Guitars.
Introducing a new model. Built with shitty plywood and an MDF fretboard. Because tone woods are for dumb motherfuckers.

I can't really say much more on the subject without going off on a long rant that would cause everyone to TL;DR. Needless to say, anyone who's been involved with making a guitar, and had a chance to tap test a piece of wood to listen to its musical qualities, knows exactly why it's important.

Gus

Ha! I like him. :p

Yes, he is a massive cock. But I think he makes a few good points. Not least at the end of the video when he says that "if y'all practised as much as you bitch on the internet then you might be worth a fuck on the guitar".

Word, son. :)