Good Beginner Amp

Tanchulloh

Wizard in Training
I'm with Peter in the fact that the Roland Microcube is a good option, purely due to invincibility and sound for an amp that small, they normally cost around £70. My one still lives after falling down the stairs and sitting on it :p

If you are thinking of a frontman though, go for a Peavey Bandit 112, which costs around the same as a Fender Frontman 212, but in my opinion, has a better tone, and can be used as a practice, rehearsal and gigging amp easily, and are also indestructible.

actually, i have the fender frontman reverb that comes with the squire affinity. i hated how the vol knob did nothing at all until you got to about the 9 oclock position, and went straight to loud. the EQ knobs did almost nothing.
some guy i met on another forum swapped the vol pot, changed a capacitor here or there, i don't really know exactly.
all i know is, what ever he did, this amp now sounds so much better than it did new, it makes me laugh everytime i plug it in. he charged me $20 canadian. the stock amp is shit.

the best kept secret in practice amps (notice i didn't say starter amp) is...... the vht classic 18. i had one. check them out. yes, they are all tube, point to point, no greenboard, with a nicely built cab and 12" greenback. for under $500 and you get an effects loop, tank reverb, and a sweet sounding amp. i think it's marshal-ly sounding. fender cleans would be tricky with that amp, but for rockin out, it's the best amp you can buy for under $700, and everyone ignores them because they're chinese. i'm actually buying another one at tax check time.

Art G

The Fender Champion 40 is under $200USD. They sound great, and only weigh about twenty pounds.
The Champion 100 sells for only $300USD. It's no twin reverb, but it does sound really good.
I just nabbed a barely used Champion 100 for $150. Sounds great loud, and sounds great at bedroom volume.

DrKarnivore

Browsing your web and SMS history
Staff member
The Fender Champion 40 is under $200USD. They sound great, and only weigh about twenty pounds.
The Champion 100 sells for only $300USD. It's no twin reverb, but it does sound really good.
I just nabbed a barely used Champion 100 for $150. Sounds great loud, and sounds great at bedroom volume.

You do realise that you`re responding to someone who hasn`t logged in for over a year?

Art G

oops!
Okay. My bad.
Well, the suggestion is still there for anyone else who might be pondering the same decision under similar circumstances as the o.p.
In the future, I'll try to pay more attention to timestamps. Please don't try to kill me. ;-)

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Edit - This thread is over a year old and why someone decided to necro it, god knows

A 50W Valve Amp is a bit extreme for someone starting out don't you think? Also looking after a valve amp can be a daunting if you're just starting out.

Personally, I would go with one of the Marshall MG series of solid state amps they do, or some of the Orange Crush amps. At least with them you will have much higher reliability and you will start to get a taste for some classic tones as well as ones that are heavy high distortion ones.

Edit - This thread is over a year old and why someone decided to necro it, god knows

A 50W Valve Amp is a bit extreme for someone starting out don't you think? Also looking after a valve amp can be a daunting if you're just starting out.

Personally, I would go with one of the Marshall MG series of solid state amps they do, or some of the Orange Crush amps. At least with them you will have much higher reliability and you will start to get a taste for some classic tones as well as ones that are heavy high distortion ones.

I would advice against the MG series. Those are the worst POS amps I have ever tried.

So I have been taking lessons for about two months now and I am wanting to make my first electric guitar purchase. I am pretty sold on the Standard Telecaster by Squire but on amps I am still undecided. I am thinking of a small frontman by fender but then I came across the orange amps. Any thoughts would be helpful.
I personally like the Roland Cube Mini. Packs a punch and sounds really good. Nice clean tones and isn't shabby on the effects.

ed lespaul

Although you can't go wrong with the Yamaha rated highly above, I would definitely consider the Fender Mustang Amp line. It offers more flexibility than the Yamaha.

I bought the Mustang II V2 and I am constantly amazed at the sounds you can get out of it. There's a whole bunch of presets that you can load into the amp, via usb.

Check out the user patches that are updated constantly: https://fuse.fender.com/mustang/presets/

Some of these patches are nothing short of incredible. (the "Rainbow - Catch the Rainbow" is dead on, as well as others)

Also, check out the review of the mustang line from Andertons :)