Giving up the guitar?

Discussion in 'Learning' started by aki13, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Laimac

Laimac Well-Known Member

I think what Poseidon is saying is that a number of pieces of advice have been endorsed by many and that is probably the best we can do here. The first one is that a teacher (so long as he has a bit of experience) is what you need to progress further. YouTube is fine and you should give it a try if it is difficult to find a teacher near you at convenient hours. I will be taking lessons myself as I am in a situation similar to yours. The second one was to select easy practice songs first and work on small pieces at a time, trying to make them sound good (forget about sounding like the records - if you compare studio and live versions of most songs you will see that many times even the original artists are not that close because of all that is involved in recording and producing an album). Guitar heroes like Friedman tend to always play difficult stuff or, when simple, make it sound so different from regular players, so best to Google "easy guitar songs" and "your genre" or find simplified arrangements. Good luck.

aki13 and bad alice like this.
  2. aki13

aki13 New Member

It just entered my head and I asked for a video. It's not important. Just forget it, please. I found some teachers and I will meet them in person. I will start taking lessons as soon as possible. Also, I started to try all of these suggestions. Thanks for your help. I think this is the end of the thread.

AdiHughes and Robstafarian like this.
  3. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufustarian” Staff Member

You forgot something…

:hug:

4. aki13

aki13 New Member

What is it?

5. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufustarian” Staff Member

It is encouragement, as embodied in the hug.

DrHankWanfordSnr and bad alice like this.
  6. aki13

aki13 New Member

Ah, sorry... I realized it later.

Thank you for everything guys

Robstafarian and bad alice like this.
  7. Lone Star

Lone Star www.screlics.co.uk

@aki13 ...... pick up your guitar, find a fucking teacher and learn! We can help, but you've got to help yourself.

If the time isnt right for you to learn then leave it and come back to it later on. There's a shit load of good advice here and its all tried and tested.

We cant jerk you off anymore than we have and tell you to hang in there. Most of the other guys who have commented here are self taught. No one said it would be easy but man... it sure as hell has been fun.

8. Les Moxon Photography

Les Moxon Photography Fender through and Through

Chill fella- I've been playing 20 years and still find somethings hard- find some like minded people in your area, have a jam- you'll learn a lot

Les :)

Robstafarian and aki13 like this.
  9. naetharu

naetharu Well-Known Member

Hi mate,

You've already had some good responses here but I thought I might add one of my own having been in a similar situation to you.

I'm currently 32 years old, and I have been playing for around two years now. I'd always wanted to play the guitar and/or bass and I had tried a bit when I was in my teens, but found it difficult and other things got in the way of practice. After a change in circumstances a couple of years back I decided to give it a proper try and it has really been worth it.

First, I would say you need to stop worrying about not being able to remember things. Chances are you are trying to cram too much into a short time and not spending enough time to let yourself properly absorb the information. I know that I spend the first year of playing feeling like learning the fret-board was impossible. But when I stopped and thought about it I realised that it was actually quite a simple thing to do; learning just twelve notes that repeat up each string.

As a small child you've already learnt and memorised the alphabet. And heck, I get the impression from your final comment that you've also learnt (and to be honest, from your post mastered) a 2nd language. That tells me that there is nothing wrong with your ability to learn and memorise! Your issue seems to be more to do with confidence.

I found that the following really helped me when I was starting out:

1. Choose some basic songs and learn them properly. You're not going to be playing Dream Theatre or Dragon Force to start with, but you can pick some fun and interesting stuff that will be rewarding. Go for some punk-rock like Green Day or perhaps a classic from the likes of Black Sabbath.
    2. Spend a lot of time listening to the song, and focus on really listening to the guitar. Get it into your head so you know what your playing should sound like.
    3. Practice the song slowly. Really slowly. Half speed or less is good. Get your fingers in the right places and get the riffs/chords into your head so you really know it.
    4. Practice always with either a metronome or a drum track so you are keeping time. Don't speed up for some bits and slow for others. Play consistently.
    5. Once you feel you have a song (or part of a song) nailed, record yourself playing it and listen back to it with a critical ear. Don't put yourself down for getting bits wrong, but also don't let yourself get away with sloppy or lazy playing. Be pleased about the bits that sound good, and make notes about those that sound bad so you can work on them.
    I found by practising in this way I really felt like I was getting somewhere. It can feel bad to start with when you're playing Iron Man or Smoke on the Water at 1/2 speed; it reminds me of when you first start a gym and you're lifting glorified baked-beans cans. You can feel silly and like you'll never get there. But it will come with time. Stead and focused practice that is consistent and based around learning fun songs will really help.

Also, if you can, find a few people to jam with now and then and play some of the songs you've learned this way. It's really fun to play with others, and it helps motivate you no end. I was lucky to find a band after playing only about four weeks. I was terrible to start with but they were fine with that. Over the past two years I have improved and I think playing with them has really helped with that.

Don't ever think you cannot do it or that you are lacking the talent. With steady and realistic practice you can and will learn to play!

Robstafarian and GloopyJon like this.
  10. Rurin

Rurin Well-Known Member

I am playing for some years now only now i started developing the left arm strenght. Only now i can make some defined chords and single note shread.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

11. ScutMonkey

ScutMonkey Active Member

Well in one of Rob's videos he said the first year of guitar playing is just learning the scales. That's all, nothing else. And I'm assuming this means you get to practice every day for a long time. I've spent four months learning the first three positions of the blues pentatonic so I have two more to go. Plus, I keep getting the second and third mixed up. Plus I have a boat load more to learn after that. So yeah. Two years? I might be done with my scales. Maybe. And I'm in your shoes. I get to play maybe 2-3 hours a week. But I enjoy those hours and plink away.

Keep in mind that all of those great musicians spent years hacking at it before you ever heard of them. Alex Van Halen tells this story about how in high school he would go out on Friday and Saturday nights and he'd see Ed on his way out with a six pack of beer playing on his bed. He'd come back hours and hours later and there is Ed still playing with the beer gone. He did this for more than a decade before he ever recorded anything you've heard of. And he is still doing it 30+ years later I bet.

Robstafarian likes this.
  12. Dead Circuits

Dead Circuits Active Member

There is always a part of us that is unhappy with our current level of playing. That is what drives us to improve. There is also periods of frustration that musicians go through. It can be hard learning as a musician. It's not all joy all the time.

But we stick at it cause ultimately it is developing one of the most awesomely magical gifts that it is possible to possess. The ability to convey your inner world through an instrument into the air for other people to hear and connect with. Think of the most powerful guitar solo and how it makes you feel. Isn't it amazing? That is what you are doing when you play the guitar. You might not feel like your playing is up to the level you want it to be right now, but you are partaking in one of the most unique and amazing things a human can do. You are creating music. Its an up and down path sometimes, and its often frustrating, but its also a sublime path that will carry you through life and remain constant through the seasons.

Maybe it would help if you just grab your guitar. Think about how frustrated you feel right now, play to that frustration. It doesn't matter what it sounds like. Bash those strings, bend them. You don't have to worry about sounding musical if you don't want. Just let it out. See if you can channel that emotion. Try and lose yourself in it. You might not make a hit record, but I bet you'll feel better. My playing always improves drastically when I put some feeling into it. It's like a therapy of sorts.

Robstafarian likes this.