Gibson's shooting themselves in the foot again

ScutMonkey

Aesthetically speaking, yes, there are. There ain't a whole heckuva lot that's gonna appeal across a broad enough base to support the manufacturing end.
You can make them all kinds of shapes and sizes, but a dong-shaped guitar is only going to sell to a handful of people. See what I did there?:D
I understand that point of view, but right now we're talking less than 10 and you cannot convince me there are less than 10 aesthetically appealing guitar designs which appeal to a broad enough range of people to be worth mass producing.

In fact, I'd argue there are only five solid body designs which are really mass market and the rest are niche. Strat, super strat, tele, LP, and PRS double cut.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
In fact, I'd argue there are only five solid body designs which are really mass market and the rest are niche. Strat, super strat, tele, LP, and PRS double cut.
So V, explorer, and Sg shapes are niche and not used by multiple brands and therefore should be trademark protected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baggy

latest

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/dean-files-countersuit-against-gibson-seeks-trademark-cancellations

The suit cites the example of Carlino Guitars – a guitar shop in Medford, Massachusetts – which it claims was sent cease and desist letters by Gibson in April and May 2019. The letters allegedly demanded the removal of all Dean V and Z guitars from the shop’s website, accused them of being party to trademark infringement by stocking Dean instruments, and threatened the store with legal action if they didn’t comply.

nice work gibson
So when they say collaborate......... This is what they are really saying lol.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

ScutMonkey

So V, explorer, and Sg shapes are niche and not used by multiple brands and therefore should be trademark protected?
I'm not arguing yes or no on trademark protections with that comment. I'm just pointing out if you go into a large guitar shop you'll see a huge number of those five main shapes and then you'll see a smattering of everything else. My local guitar center has a huge wall of over 100 guitars. There are three Vs (Two Gibson and one Jackson) and five SGs. Two Chapman explorers, one LTD, and one single Gibson Explorer. Three Jazzmasters and no Jaguars. And one beautiful Mexican made Meteora which sang, "play me!" as soon as I saw it (loved it). There is usually a BC Rich of some sort in there but not today. This particular store doesn't carry Deans either, so no Dimebag guitars.

But those five I mentioned? Rows of strats. Rows of super strats. Rows of Teles. Rows of LPs. And all from various brands. Gibson, Fender, Epi, Squier, LTD, PRS, Jackson, Charvelle, Chapman, Gretch, Ibanez, Schecter, etc. Everyone makes the same ole thing.

There is really just no creativity going on with guitar shapes. As much as I enjoy the look of the meteora, as soon as you see it, it's obvious its just a jazzmaster/jaguar body put into a taffy puller for a sec. Gibson's crazy new creative innovative shape this year is the LP JR with two P-90s to give into the demand they created last year when their crazy new innovative shape was an LP JR with one P-90. Don't go crazy there folks!