Gear from yester-year

ed lespaul

While going through old guitar magazines, I noticed a bunch of equipment that I either had, wished I had, or even still have.

One piece of equipment was a Digitech GNX3, which was a fantastic modeler for its time. Along with modeling, you could merge 2 amps together, change cabinets (long before IRs), a ton of effects.

It also had features that are still great today:

- ReAmping

- Drum Machine

- Recorder

- Looper

The GNX3 was the first modeler I had that had reamping capabilities. This is something that is common with all newer modelers.

Drum machine to create drum tracks to play over live, in the recorder, or in the looper.

The recorder was a full multi-track recorder, that would save the recording to a card that could be read into your daw. You could use the multiple inputs to record multiple tracks at the same time.

The looper was long before it's time.

The GNX had all this functionality, and is still a great workhorse. It's perfect unit to bring with you on a business trip. You get great tones, and can record and loop in the hotel.

What old gear did you have?

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
A friend of mind had the GNX2. It was nice. I used to have the Digitech RP300A. The whole concept of being able to just call up a preset made by an artist on a pedal was mindblowing to 15-year old me. Presets inclused Soulfly, Incubus, Static-X and some more nu-metal bands I liked. That thing was awesome. I even gigged it a few times.

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
My first "well you can't really call it a modeler" - but guitar effects processor was the Alesis Quadraverb GT. A digital pre-amp added to the Quadraverb. This was the start 90'es. I used it with my first electric guitar - An Aria Pro II TA-40.

And then off course a shitload of synths, samplers, drum machines and an Atari 1040st running Cubase.

I found some old pics:
old03.jpg
old02.jpg

That all ended in 1998 when the room was flooded.

Fast forward to 2006 when I regained the love for music again:

I bought a Fernandes Revolver Floyd Rose with sustainer and a ZOOM GT9.2 TT - guitar effects processor and USB interface. I really liked the X/Y pedal where you could control two parameters over 2 axis.

frp.jpg
HJ_04.jpg
My first DAW "studio" in the corner of our old bedroom.

HJ_05.jpg

Attachments

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
My first "well you can't really call it a modeler" - but guitar effects processor was the Alesis Quadraverb GT. A digital pre-amp added to the Quadraverb. This was the start 90'es. I used it with my first electric guitar - An Aria Pro II TA-40.

And then off course a shitload of synths, samplers, drum machines and an Atari 1040st running Cubase.

I found some old pics:
View attachment 35994
View attachment 35995

That all ended in 1998 when the room was flooded.

Fast forward to 2006 when I regained the love for music again:

I bought a Fernandes Revolver Floyd Rose with sustainer and a ZOOM GT9.2 TT - guitar effects processor and USB interface. I really liked the X/Y pedal where you could control two parameters over 2 axis.

View attachment 35996
View attachment 35997
My first DAW "studio" in the corner of our old bedroom.

View attachment 35998
Cool man. My studio in the 90's was similar - Atari 1040st running Notator, Tascam TSR8 eight track reel to reel, synths - Yamaha AN1x, Yamaha CS1x, Roland D10, Roland JV880, Yamaha SU10 sampler, Digitech Studio Quad effects, 32 channel / 8 bus Beringer mixing desk and Event 20/20 monitors going into a Samson Servo 170 power amp.

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
Found a pic from my Eleven Rack days:
11_R_001.jpg

And because the monster of GAS has arrived again for a 12 string. My last one:
Agile12string.jpg
I never really bonded with that. Probably cause of the Gibson scale :(

ed lespaul

Found a pic from my Eleven Rack days:
View attachment 36018
The 11R was GREAT. In some way, it still exists, in some way, in the HedRush, which is pretty much an 11R with a cabinet IR addon. My only problem with it, was the noise factor on some amps. It's a modeler, which means programmers emulated the sound of these amps. Why the F would you emulate the noise? At least give us a means to turn it off. On some amps, a noise gate wasn't an option, because you'd have to turn it up too much, which cut the trails of the notes.

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
The 11R was GREAT. In some way, it still exists, in some way, in the HedRush, which is pretty much an 11R with a cabinet IR addon. My only problem with it, was the noise factor on some amps. It's a modeler, which means programmers emulated the sound of these amps. Why the F would you emulate the noise? At least give us a means to turn it off. On some amps, a noise gate wasn't an option, because you'd have to turn it up too much, which cut the trails of the notes.
Dan Huff used it - so I had to try it out (fanboi). :D I loved it's Soldano SLO sound. Served me well for years until I got the chance to try an Axe Fx :eek: :oops: :rolleyes:.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
So, I never could really afford much gear when I was younger. I didn't really play enough to justify it. I was a singer through most of my youth, so that was my focus. However, I was in a band in my mid-20s when I was in the Army. Our guitarist was good friends with the guy on post who was in charge of entertainment and they had a ton of old instruments, amps and other gear that we were allowed to borrow. One of those things was an old ART multi effects processor/tube preamp. I can't remember the model (maybe the SGX2000?), but it was such a cool thing. I would love to have one (or the ADA equivalent).

Last edited:

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
So, I never could really afford much gear when I was younger. I didn't really play enough to justify it. I was a singer through most of my youth, so that was my focus. However, I was in a band in my mid-20s when I was in the Army. Our guitarist was good friends with the guy on base who was in charge of entertainment and they had a ton of old instruments, amps and other gear that we were allowed to borrow. One of those things was an old ART multi effects processor/tube preamp. I can't remember the model (maybe the SGX2000?), but it was such a cool thing. I would love to have one (or the ADA equivalent).
And now that I'm looking around, I think it was actually an ART SGE Mach II multi effects unit and they're cheap as hell now. Guess I'm going shopping soon.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
As I've been flicking through old Guitar World magazine, I've been seeing lots of old ads as well. I found the old Ibanez SZ ads on which I used to drool for days. I've mentioned this in the GAS-thread, but I really want one. I wish they would make them again. I've already entered a Reverb search. I would love to find the SZ320MH natural mahogany colored one and mod the hell out of it. I think EMG 57/66 or 81/60 or maybe even the announced Jim Root signature set. Some nice locking tuners would be nice as well. I really want one.

ScutMonkey

I've got a Digitech 2120 from a friend of mine that I'm getting ready to hook up and try out. Weird/cool unit. Digital effects with a 12AX7 tube preamp.

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
As I've been flicking through old Guitar World magazine, I've been seeing lots of old ads as well. I found the old Ibanez SZ ads on which I used to drool for days. I've mentioned this in the GAS-thread, but I really want one. I wish they would make them again. I've already entered a Reverb search. I would love to find the SZ320MH natural mahogany colored one and mod the hell out of it. I think EMG 57/66 or 81/60 or maybe even the announced Jim Root signature set. Some nice locking tuners would be nice as well. I really want one.
I think I have had two of those SZ's. Rather nice guitars ... with PRS scale as I recall?

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
I always wanted a Crate Blue Voodoo back in the day and an Ibanez J. Yuenger sig to plug into it.

I’ve really only been upgrading over the years. I really on miss one piece of gear that I had...

I loved the looks, but it was dark. I should have swapped pups instead of selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk