G.A.S. is... Seemingly Sated. For now. [NGD] (Purple Content)

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
I wanted a thing. A VERY non-specific thing, really.
I wanted a purple guitar, that played well, and sounded good.

Do you have any idea how many guitars play well, sound good, but are NOT purple? Well, neither do I, but I played all of them I got my hands on, anyways.
After much research, both hands-on, and online, I settled on a few brands, and... oddly, my local Guitar Center had 3 and a half of the guitars I was interested in (one of them was only available in brown... that's the half...), so I figured I'd get some hands-on with the potential online purchases I was interested in.
And since I was already leaning toward a LOVELY LTD Horizon III in a very purpley purple, I was looking forward to seeing it in person and getting a good play on it.
And after playing a Fender Roadworn Tele in purple (it was rather nice, but the neck didn't like me and I didn't like it back, sadly. Sounded sweet through a sweet Fender Hot Rod Deluxe they had, though), a Gibson Les Paul Jr in Worn Brown (Honestly, not even the BLUE one in stock? Psh... but yeah, it sounded WONDERFUL through that Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but I couldn't get along with the neck, the guitar felt... odd, in my hands, and... it had sharp fret ends... and that's just not cool), and a PRS SE Custom 24 (Flamey purple top, PRS trem, lovely neck... but it was a bit beefier than I though it was, and honestly, I couldn't justify the price of it, compared to my other options, but if it was about $100 less, it would've been VERY tempting), and even a Sterling John Petrucci Signature (which was sadly, quite disappointing, but also the cheapest one I tried, so fair enough, it DID sound cool)... I went with the ever-so-tempting LTD.

TL;DR, I played a Fender Roadworn Tele (purple), Gibson Les Paul Jr (Brown...), PRS SE Custom 24 (Purple), and Sterling JP Sig (Purple-ish), but, sticking with my budget, I went with the ESP LTD Horizon III.
And here she is!

Now... Now wait just a darn minute... What's that, then?

That's not supposed to be there!
Oh no, they got the headstock wrong, too!

I've gone and got the wrong one! Bugger!

Okay, so yeah, let's get serious here, I've NEVER seen one of these used that didn't have problems, or wasn't like $1,300-$1500, and then, while browsing my local GC's inventory, before I took the trip over to play the other guitars I mentioned, I inexplicably stumbled across this ESP E-II Horzion III (the big brother to the LTD I was planning on checking out) in their Used Gear section, and genuinely thought it might have been an error, until the very moment I walked in and saw it hanging up, unloved, unappreciated. It had apparently only been there for about a week, and by the grace of the gods of rock and metal, it had literally only been played by the store staff, since it came in, and had brand new strings on it, from when they first got it from the fella who traded it in.
It was only $100 more than the LTD version, at $999... and it was worth every freakin' penny.
And it came with the original ESP Hard Case. VERY lovely, indeed.

And now... a couple MUCH better pictures, and less screwing around, yeah? Yeah.
I present the ESP E-II Horizon III in Reindeer Blue* (let's be real, it's purple in almost every lighting situation, I'm calling it purple, the Reindeer won't mind).

*Fun Fact:
The name "Reindeer Blue" for this color comes from the fact that a reindeer's eyes slowly change color over the coarse of the year, to prepare them for the low-light conditions of the darkest parts of the Winter season. To help them to take in more light, their eyes turn a funky shade of purpley-blue.
Neat.

Last edited:

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I know this feeling all too well. Where our desired for a purple guitar were the same, the end result is quite different. I ended up with a single humbucker, maple fretboard strat in flat purple.

Congratz on the new guitar! The fact that it IS purple makes it awesome!

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays

Do you have any idea how many guitars play well, sound good, but are NOT purple? Well, neither do I, but I played all of them I got my hands on, anyways.
After much research, both hands-on, and online, I settled on a few brands, and... oddly, my local Guitar Center had 3 and a half of the guitars I was interested in (one of them was only available in brown... that's the half...), so I figured I'd get some hands-on with the potential online purchases I was interested in.
And since I was already leaning toward a LOVELY LTD Horizon III in a very purpley purple, I was looking forward to seeing it in person and getting a good play on it.
And after playing a Fender Roadworn Tele in purple (it was rather nice, but the neck didn't like me and I didn't like it back, sadly. Sounded sweet through a sweet Fender Hot Rod Deluxe they had, though), a Gibson Les Paul Jr in Worn Brown (Honestly, not even the BLUE one in stock? Psh... but yeah, it sounded WONDERFUL through that Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but I couldn't get along with the neck, the guitar felt... odd, in my hands, and... it had sharp fret ends... and that's just not cool), and a PRS SE Custom 24 (Flamey purple top, PRS trem, lovely neck... but it was a bit beefier than I though it was, and honestly, I couldn't justify the price of it, compared to my other options, but if it was about $100 less, it would've been VERY tempting), and even a Sterling John Petrucci Signature (which was sadly, quite disappointing, but also the cheapest one I tried, so fair enough, it DID sound cool)... I went with the ever-so-tempting LTD.

TL;DR, I played a Fender Roadworn Tele (purple), Gibson Les Paul Jr (Brown...), PRS SE Custom 24 (Purple), and Sterling JP Sig (Purple-ish), but, sticking with my budget, I went with the ESP LTD Horizon III.
And here she is!

Now... Now wait just a darn minute... What's that, then?

That's not supposed to be there!
Oh no, they got the headstock wrong, too!

I've gone and got the wrong one! Bugger!

Okay, so yeah, let's get serious here, I've NEVER seen one of these used that didn't have problems, or wasn't like $1,300-$1500, and then, while browsing my local GC's inventory, before I took the trip over to play the other guitars I mentioned, I inexplicably stumbled across this ESP E-II Horzion III (the big brother to the LTD I was planning on checking out) in their Used Gear section, and genuinely thought it might have been an error, until the very moment I walked in and saw it hanging up, unloved, unappreciated. It had apparently only been there for about a week, and by the grace of the gods of rock and metal, it had literally only been played by the store staff, since it came in, and had brand new strings on it, from when they first got it from the fella who traded it in.
It was only $100 more than the LTD version, at $999... and it was worth every freakin' penny.
And it came with the original ESP Hard Case. VERY lovely, indeed.

And now... a couple MUCH better pictures, and less screwing around, yeah? Yeah.
I present the ESP E-II Horizon III in Reindeer Blue* (let's be real, it's purple in almost every lighting situation, I'm calling it purple, the Reindeer won't mind).

*Fun Fact:
The name "Reindeer Blue" for this color comes from the fact that a reindeer's eyes slowly change color over the coarse of the year, to prepare them for the low-light conditions of the darkest parts of the Winter season. To help them to take in more light, their eyes turn a funky shade of purpley-blue.
Neat.
Well done, bud, that is a nice freaking find. Gorgeous guitar.

beans & rice

That's badass! I'm glad you know what to do with it, because it scares the crap out of me. :D That sucker is aaaaall about the purple business.
I really want a purple road-worn Tele, and Guitar-a-Thon has me eyeballing stuff to sell. :bounce:

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
That's badass! I'm glad you know what to do with it, because it scares the crap out of me. :D That sucker is aaaaall about the purple business.
I really want a purple road-worn Tele, and Guitar-a-Thon has me eyeballing stuff to sell. :bounce:
I mean, I'm not claiming I know what to do with it, just that I now own it :D

And I loved the sound of the Road-worn Tele I tried, my only complaints were the neck not feeling as comfortable as I had hoped (slight V shape to it, which I like on a Clapton Strat, but I'm not sure I understand Tele necks, so maybe that's my problem, not the guitar's), and I don't like the Tele neck join, combined with it having only 21 frets, when for some reason, my brain told me I needed a second 24 fret guitar.
It sounded bluesy and beautiful through the Hot Rod Deluxe they had, and between my brain going "Get it... it sounds good, it's purple... nothing else matters." and the salesman on the floor being a MASSIVE Fender fan who was trying to push me into buying the Tele AND the Hot Rod Deluxe... I was struggling not to get it, despite my problems with it.

Strigidae

I like owls.
The body reminds me of one of my favorite guitar shapes of all time in the ESP Mystique, might have to try out a Horizon III to get something similar at a better price. Looks fantastic and you seem to have gotten an amazing deal! HNGD!

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
The body reminds me of one of my favorite guitar shapes of all time in the ESP Mystique, might have to try out a Horizon III to get something similar at a better price. Looks fantastic and you seem to have gotten an amazing deal! HNGD!
I believe there's only 1 LTD version, made in Indonesia (which I DID try at Guitar Center, and it felt quite nice, though SLIGHTLY heavier than mine), which is $899 (USD), brand new, but you can wait for a used one to pop up at around $550-600 (USD). Other than that, I don't know of any other Horizon IIIs, only the Horizon II and the original Horizon.