Fretboard Radii

xmusicfeverx

Hey guys, I am just wanting to get different views on fretboard radii. The radius measure how curved your fretboard is if you need to know. Its part of the hypothetical circle the fretboard would make if it were a complete circle. If you know yours, please tell me what it is, how you like it, what music you play, and the guitar name. Thanks dudes! :)

I find that 12"-16" compound radius is the best for all styles. Gives you gibson style chording and then super fast shred style in the higher bits.

For me, bare minimum is 9.5", and I dont like it completely flat either.

Hey I'm not exactly sure how it's measured, but yeah I think you would look at the surface of the fretboard as a small part of a circle. So the smaller the radius the rounder the fretboard(fenders types) and the larger the radius the flatter the fretboard(typically Ibanez/shred guitars).

My absolute favorite is the 9.5 in. radius on strat necks, but I also love the feel of Gibson type fatter necks. Actually I like all necks lol, just different ones for different styles of playing. Also IMO it is easier to bend on smaller radius freboards.

Jonny

I think Ibanez have 12" radii, so I prefer them. I've always wanted to try the Jackson necks, cause they're compound - 12" to 16" I think.

It doesn't really bother me, probably cause I haven't tried many different ones.

IonOfChios

My favourite neck is my carvin 14" radius, makes bends easier, 16" would prolly be good too. I have a 10-16" compound radius neck from usacusotmguitars on my custom V but it just doesn't feel as good for some reason, but I part of this might be cos it has smaller frets. Actually, I never understood why a more rounded neck is supposed to be good for chording up the nut end, but perhaps that is cos I have big hands? Any ideas what the advantage is supposed to be?

xmusicfeverx

My favourite neck is my carvin 14" radius, makes bends easier, 16" would prolly be good too. I have a 10-16" compound radius neck from usacusotmguitars on my custom V but it just doesn't feel as good for some reason, but I part of this might be cos it has smaller frets. Actually, I never understood why a more rounded neck is supposed to be good for chording up the nut end, but perhaps that is cos I have big hands? Any ideas what the advantage is supposed to be?
I dont know dude. But i ask because im thinking about ordering a carvin haha. the people their say 12-14 is very subtle difference. they have 10 12 14 and 20. im thinking 14-20? im still not sure. yeah, bar chords are supposed to be easier on smaller radius necks and bends are supposed to be easier on flatter necks. hahah i dont know