First Tube Amp (Head & Cab)

Qunad

Hey all,

I'm a longtime lurker on this site, but thought it might be fun to get a bit more engaged in the community.

I've just picked up a Gibson SG Special 2016 T https://waveadvice.com/tube-amp-heads-buyers-guide/ and am running it through a ProCo Rat 2 and a Kustom 30 Watt Double Barrel. I can get a lovely clean tone through the amp so the Rat does a great job of distorting it in the vein of Black Sabbath or Goatsnake.

I'm looking to pick up my first tube amp and cab by the end of this year and would like some advice on where to go!

Primarily I guess I'm looking for a relatively versatile amp, with great cleans and good enough distortion which I could use if my Rat fails!

I play a sort of heavy blues mix e.g. imagine Black Sabbath meets Chris Thomas King meets Tool and I am the only guitar player in the band.

Last edited:

mirage2101

Copied from common amp advice questions:
  1. Where are you located?
  2. What is your budget?
  3. What guitars do you play, and what pickups are in them?
  4. What effects do you use?
  5. Does it have to be a combo?
  6. Does it have to be new?
  7. What are your size and weight limitations?
  8. Do you need to be especially quiet at home?
  9. Do you need to be especially loud at gigs?
  10. What is your taste for low end, mids, et cetera?
  11. What do you want to sound like (YouTube and/or Soundcloud links are most welcome)?

Welcome in. For suggestions we need more specifics. Please do remember that even then we can only guess what works best for you. Ideally you’d go and run through a lot of them and pick what feels and sounds good to you.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
@Qunad appears to be from the big apple so he’ll have a plethora of well stocked guitar stores to check out.

An initial and rough response would be to check out the Marshall DSL and 1936 cab. They should be available locally to you. I’d also happily recommend looking at the new Mesa Filmore, Lonestar, express 525...head and cab.

Having said that, if you had some decent knowledge of the tube/valve amp world then there are bargains to be had if you buy second hand. This all comes down to your budget in the end...