Finally Learning Some Different Songs - Please Recommend Great Songs To Try & Learn

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
After finally getting my Silver Jubilee repaired after a year and then doing some much needed upkeep on my Gibson Les Paul Custom, I'm now starting to push myself to learn some different songs.

As most of the "older" members of the forums know, I typically play a lot of Grunge and 90's music. While my love of these types of songs will never fade, I have been trying to learn some classic rock 'n' roll songs. Typically I try to get my head around playing some of the easier stuff from Jimmi Hendrix, I stumbled across a video of Dave Grohl and Bruce Springsteen playing a live cover of Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

If you are unsure what song this is, it's almost always used in any film about Vietnam. I always thought it would be a pretty difficult song, but it's much easier than I first thought. Justin Guitar Song's YouTube channel has a really good lesson on how to play this song, so I am now at the stage of nailing down the intro and the verse section of the song. Justin has been doing some guitar lesson videos on the Andertons YouTube channel and Justin has been teaching the Captain for the lass year. His videos are really easy to follow and he typically will show you an beginner, intermediate and finally an advanced version of the songs, so no matter what level you're at, you will be able to play along to the recording, or jam with other people and not sound out of place.

One cool thing (for me at least), is I noticed that John Fogerty, who is the lead vocalist and guitar, for the group, plays on a black Les Paul Custom. So from watching him play the song live in videos from 1970 onwards and he's always playing on his LP Custom.

I really love learning some of the older Rock songs from the 60's onwards. With me typically liking stuff from the late 60's to 80's, I am halfway there with an LP and Marshall and typically don't need any pedals, other than reverb, chorus and at times some delay. I really like having a pretty simple rig and signal chain. After all, a Les Paul going into a vale Marshall amp, is such a tried and tested combination for everything from light rock through to punk or metal.

The reason I've started this thread, is I would love some ideas on what songs are worth investing the time to learn. I'm not that good with my overall level of skill on guitar. I am above a beginner level and maybe around intermediate, which is why I have never been able to learn any Pink Floyd, even though I rank them as my joint favourite band next to Nirvana. I do hope one day, when I have my spinal implant, to be able to play a number of Floyd songs, with Comfortably Numb being my ultimate goal.

I look forward to seeing everybody's suggestions will be. If possible, could you please put a link to a good lesson/or the source that you learned from?

Cheers,

Felix

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
I like the idea of this thread. I'm always trying to learn something new (to the detriment of actually finishing a song properly) and currently It's The Smiths -This Charming Man. It's very different from anything else I've ever played and really it's outside my skill level so it's pushing me on. There are a number of good tutorials but I like this guy's take.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
I like the idea of this thread. I'm always trying to learn something new (to the detriment of actually finishing a song properly) and currently It's The Smiths -This Charming Man. It's very different from anything else I've ever played and really it's outside my skill level so it's pushing me on. There are a number of good tutorials but I like this guy's take.

I'm not too versed with "The Smiths" , but once he got into the main riffs, it's unmistakably one of their songs.

T'other week I will trying to play T-Rex/Mark Bolan's "Bang A Gone" aka "Get It On" , as the main riff through his '50s Les Paul is just so iconic. I'm struggling with the odd rhythm of the intro and verse parts.

The one positive thing that YouTube has done for guitarist, is how much easier it is to learn songs.

mirage2101

I learned most of these songs by tab and the song, or with a video my teacher made for me so I don't have sources. If you like a song give me a shout and I'll look through some lessons to see if there's one I think hits the spot.

General song learning just in case: Use something like transcribe! to slow down songs and slowly speed them up as you learn them. Memorization is the first step and then start to learn playing and speeding up. If you can't play it flawless you're going too fast.

For 90s goodness:
Bush - Everything zen
If you leave out the riffs and solo's it's mostly power chords and an open chord. He uses a bit different positions from what I use but it doesn't matter a lot. Really great song to rock out on.

Smashing pumpkins - zero
Another one that's not too hard but great to warm up and just go at full blast. Experiment with what pickup works best. On the bridge P90 the harmonics didn't work for me, on the neck humbucker it's awesome.

rage against the machine - killing in the name of
This one has a couple of interesting riffs and stuff you might want to take your time with but it feels so great to play this one. It's not mentioned really in this lesson but the muted strums are really important here. They'll keep you glued to the rhythm. He does play them so look out for that.

Pink floyd
comfortbly numb. Mostly it's a very doable song, you know all the chords.
This lesson is great to start with. He actually takes the time to explain the strumming and counting. If you don't do it by feeling that'll help you a lot. This kinda stuff is what my teacher took our first year to push into my head and hands, it's worth working on if that is above your current level.
for the solo I used this video
It's a LOT to memorize and some of the rhythm is less obvious then you'd expect. It's a really good start though and it'll help you hop on to be able to play along and finetune with the original track.

Mother. The chords aren't hard, the rhythm is difficult to get a handle on though, especially in the first part when it's played quietly without drums.
This lesson actually counts out the strumming pattern. It'll still take some work. If you like, start out with just the chords and play along with the song. It'll sound decent soon and getting the proper timing down as a stretch goal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF2BVk9-pE4&t=157s
The solo on the other hand is very very doable and not too long so a good point to start off on learning Gilmour. You'll probably want to find a tab of the solo but the explanation is quite good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfxfswdTHQw&list=RDBfxfswdTHQw&start_radio=1

Another brick in the wall pt2:
solo lesson:
For the rhythm, it's in french but he actually does show the proper strumming. Like I said there are alternatives for chords. I play the G at the 10th fret as A shape bar chord instead of the D shape he's using on the 7th fret he's using because it sounds a bit fuller. Grab a tab and this and you'll be fine. Again, slow down the song to practice. It's deceptively fast strumming in places and you'll want to get it right. Otherwise you'll mess it up and it'll stay a mess forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPyEwkbJyAc

Just fun to play
wolfmother - joker and the thief.
This one is a workout because you're moving all the time. The lessons I've found all play it in drop D on the 6th string I actually learned it on the 5th string in normal tuning. It's easy to move. Don't bother with the intro too much at the start. It's more of a gimmick. When I play this song my wife tends to bounce around the house :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iij5aQA_9g

Led zeppelin - immigrant song
Again a bit of a workout, but it still sounds great if you play it slower. And man you can't beat this classic. The thor ragnarok trailer got me playing this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYZ_MXS8U9Q

David Bowie - Ziggie stardust
Took me long enough to get a lesson by justin in here :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG34AqOahpc

Herman Brood - Saturday night
Holy mother of $#@!#@! there's some bad stuff around for this song. The original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8BZaOBN6l8
I hope my teacher doesn't mind me putting these out here. The fun in this song is to put in all the little riffs and stuff while keeping the basic rhythm going. You can make this as complicated and cool as you like. There's dutch in the lessons but I think you'll get it.
part 1: demo https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdyu9edx3gmenpz/saturday night 1.MOV?dl=0
part 2: main song https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfni6gr36g3f8md/saturday night 2.MOV?dl=0
part 3: ending https://www.dropbox.com/s/284br9izufzf93n/saturday night 3.MOV?dl=0
-Funny story here actually, my teacher met one of the original guitarists of the band and got his seal of approval for his version :)
-I actually work with the daughter of Herman now, it's a small world.
-Again if you fancy it give a yell and I'll hook you up.

Last edited:

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
I learned most of these songs by tab and the song, or with a video my teacher made for me so I don't have sources. If you like a song give me a shout and I'll look through some lessons to see if there's one I think hits the spot.

For 90s goodness:
Bush - Everything zen

Smashing pumpkins - zero

rage against the machine - killing in the name of

Pink floyd
comfortbly numb. Mostly it's a very doable song, you know all the chords.
for the solo I used this video
It's a LOT to memorize and some of the rhythm is less obvious then you'd expect. It's a really good start though and it'll help you hop on to be able to play along and finetune with the original track.

Mother. The chords aren't hard, the rhythm is difficult to get a handle on though, especially in the first part when it's played quietly without drums. The solo on the other hand is very very doable and not too long so a good point to start off on learning Gilmour

Another brick in the wall pt2:
solo lesson:
For the rhythm, there's two things going on. I'm afraid I don't have a video on hand. But it's in 16ths and the second time you hit Dm is an upstroke. Some video's just hold their hand still and do down --- down. But if you keep you hand moving it's down --- up. setting you up for the correct timing going on. There's a descening ron of chords before the verse (I guess) there's a couple of versions out there of what chords are used I took a bit of time finding what worked for me and sounded right.
If you're up for it let me know and I'll put in the time to combine some tabs and lessons.

Just fun to play
wolfmother - joker and the thief
Led zeppelin - immigrant song
David Bowie - Ziggie stardust
Herman Brood - Saturday night
-Funny story here actually, my teacher met one of the original guitarists of the band and got his seal of approval for his version :)
-I actually work with the daughter of Herman now, it's a small world.
-Again if you fancy it give a yell and I'll hook you up.
Epic post @mirage2101 , if you're ok with it, I could use all the help I can get.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
@mirage2101 , Sorry for the short reply earlier, my guitar buddy has scored himself a smart pedalboard and needed my help getting the single path all correct.

If you're up for it, it might be cool to get in touch via Skype etc and go over some of the songs you've mentioned earlier. I have a problem of getting overwhelmed with songs with long complex sections, such as Comfortably Numb. One reason I like YouTube lessons, is I can break things down in smaller chunks and keep replaying the video, jump on my guitar and just run through it over and over.

Because of what I play, I find riffs easier, as I can remember the patten I make on the fretboard. With more advanced stuff where I am going through scales and whatnot, it just throws me off.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Ok I had to run from some really bad tv my wife was watching so it's updated. If you have specific questions give a holler.

If you want to skype sometime that's cool. I have to put in the disclaimer that I'm not a teacher, nor perfect at these songs either :)
This is a prime example of why this is one of the nicest forums to use. Our members are willing to help each other, even if they have to put themselves outside of their comfort zone.

For me, I think what will help is just general guidance with certain songs. Also, getting feedback on what I might be doing wrong when playing things myself.

@mirage2101 , thanks for agreeing to at least try and help if you can. Muchio respect.

mirage2101

This is a prime example of why this is one of the nicest forums to use. Our members are willing to help each other, even if they have to put themselves outside of their comfort zone.

For me, I think what will help is just general guidance with certain songs. Also, getting feedback on what I might be doing wrong when playing things myself.

@mirage2101 , thanks for agreeing to at least try and help if you can. Muchio respect.
de nada.
Just let me know.