Fender Amp advice?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by CHAPQUEST, Sep 12, 2016.

?

Which amp should I buy?

1. Super Champ X2 and always dream of that better amp

2. Bassbreaker 15 and live the dream but be broke and still need pedals

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. CHAPQUEST

CHAPQUEST New Member

I've got a dilemma and need your advice. I am an experienced acoustic player but am wanting to get back on the electric scene. On electric, I am beginner to intermediate. I like blues, southern rock, and classic rock (Joe Walsh, skynyrd, zz top, journey, Boston). I own a Fender Highway One strat (American made). I used to own a Hot Rod Deluxe (v.2) that I won in a contest back in '07. Unfortunately, it was damaged beyond repair (long story). My only other amp is a crappy First Act joker so needless to say, I am in the market. My main playing is home and the occasional small gig/small venue (think church or coffee shop). The Hot Rod Deluxe was overkill (too loud?) for my usage anyway. I am down to two amps, both Fender: Super Champ X2 or the new Bassbreaker 15. Built in reverb is a must so the 007 is out. I looked at the Blue Jr. but I want some better gain. Almost leaned toward a Marshall but want that Fender tone. I have the money now for the X2. It will be a few months to come up with double the amount for the 15 and get the Mrs on board. Which amp do you recommend? Should I suck it up, do what I can, and wait for the 15 or will the X2 suffice for my needs? I don't have pedals yet so I know that a mod amp sounds appealing but I want to get the right amp on the first try and not "shoulda, coulda, woulda" later down the line. This would be an amp that I hope would last for years.

2. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufustarian” Staff Member

Firstly, I should say that this thread belongs in the Gear section. Secondly, it is difficult to provide meaningful amp advice without knowing your location. Thirdly, the major advantage of the Bassbreaker amps is that they do not provide the Fender tone (by which most people mean the blackface Deluxe sound). Fourthly, you will be far better off with a tube amp which has a well-implemented volume control than a modeling amp.

Now, some questions:
    1. What are your size and weight limitations?
    2. What kind of home do you live in (i.e. how easy would it be to piss off your wife and/or neighbors)?
    3. Do you have children?
    4. Do you want to practice at night?
    5. Does your Strat have a humbucker?
    6. What tones do you wish to emulate?
    Finally, welcome to the forum! Feel free to introduce yourself.

Poseidon likes this.
  3. GloopyJon

GloopyJon Woof!

A friend of mine has recently bought a Super Champ X2. It's a nice little amp with a wide range of sounds from the modelling section, and yet it has power tubes so it still sounds quite decent. The combo version does have limitations with regard to the speaker, though - firstly, it has a 10" speaker (and I generally find that 12" speakers sound better) and secondly the speaker that it comes with isn't that good. It's a fairly common mod to replace the speaker (my aforementioned friend has done this) which improves the sound, but then I tend to think it's better to put that money towards a better amp in the first place, so that you don't waste money on a useless speaker.

The Super Champ X2 is also quite long in the tooth compared to many modelling amps. If you're looking for the versatility of modelling, you could consider something like a Line 6 Amplifi instead, which has many more features, or possibly one of the Roland Cubes which I think sound pretty good.

If you do like the Bassbreaker sound, bearing in mind Rob's comments above, and you only plan on playing at home, the 007 might be preferable to the 15 because you'll get the gain sounds at lower volumes. You could buy a Bassbreaker 007 and a cheap reverb pedal for the same money as the Super Champ X2 (maybe scout around for a secondhand reverb pedal).

I don't mean to disparage the Super Champ X2 - it's a very nice little amp with a lot of flexibility, but it does have its limitations and it's worth being aware of those, and of some of the alternatives (which all have their own limitations, of course!).

4. Magnus Pym

Magnus Pym Grudges rot the soul

I don't think either fits the what your requirements. I would give Rob the details requested and see what he comes up with but I have Blues Jr and a drive pedal and it covers a lot of the ground you describe?

5. CHAPQUEST

CHAPQUEST New Member

Is it possible to move this thread to the Gear Section? Moderator? I am located in Tennessee, US. I am wanting a do-everything kind of amp and that's what I hear about the Bassbreaker; that it's versatile. I want to be able to play Clapton, then play AC/DC, then play Skynyrd...all with the same amp, for example. I'm afraid a Marshall won't give me the Clapton tones. I'm afraid the Blues Jr. won't give me the AC/DC tones. From what I hear, a 12 inch speaker is much better than a 10 inch.

1. Size and weight doesn't matter but the Hot Rod Deluxe was too much. I'd say under 45 lbs. I don't want to blow out windows when master set at 2. I know I want a combo, not a head/cab.
    2./3. I would mostly play at my office, across town. I have a baby on the way. My office is somewhat by itself so I'd be able to turn up a little but probably not past 6. I practice throughout the day. Playing is therapeutic during a stressful day.
    4. Yes and no. There is a church youth room down the hall from my office with mixer/speakers/etc. If I wanted to, at night, I could bring the amp over there and crank it. That would be a once every few weeks thing.
    5. No humbucker. Alnico 3 pickups.
    6. I'd like to play all over the board. Nothing metal or too hard with strait distortion.. Metallica or Iron Maiden would be the limit. I'd zero in on 70s-80s southern and classic rock. Right now, I am more of a rhythm player but that's slowly changing. I learn new riffs from my favorite songs every week.

Thank you for your reply and advice.

6. Robstafarian

Which era of Clapton? The right Marshall will do all of that, as Clapton played Marshalls for a good while (and good Marshalls are more versatile than ignorant scuttlebutt would lead one to believe).

7. CHAPQUEST

CHAPQUEST New Member

Like Crossroads/Cocaine

8. Robstafarian

A great deal of the Crossroads box set is Clapton's Marshall period. I will dig into this more when my symptom spike has subsided.

9. Wuzza

Wuzza long time lurker

On the floor, triumphantly holding a bottle of red
    Just to throw a curve ball in there, have you taken a look at the Peavey Classic 30? Not quite a Fender clean tone, but it's a very versatile amp, about 1/2 the weight of your HRD an can get mental loud.. Can be picked up fairly cheap 2nd hand and built like tanks.

10. CHAPQUEST

CHAPQUEST New Member

I don't have brand loyalties, but isn't it ideal to pair a Fender with a Fender?

11. GloopyJon

GloopyJon Woof!

This is one of my mantras, but have you listened to them for yourself? It doesn't matter what other people think; it's what you think that's important for your amp. I wouldn't say "much better"; I'd say "noticeably better" between a 10" and a 12". But perhaps that's just the difference between British understatement and American exuberance :)

I still think, having read your replies, that you should at least consider an Amplifi. I shan't be offended if you completely ignore me, though :)

Hold on, where'd he go???

12. Robstafarian

That pairing can be nice when one wants a mid-scooped clean tone, but outside that context it does not matter at all.

13. Magnus Pym

Interesting side note about versatility. I've seen one or two people selling Kempers because they are 'too versatile'. That is to say they thought they wanted the ability to use all the amps ever but actually they find themselves sticking to one or two templates and all the rest is 'overkill'. I wonder if it is not wise for all budding guitarists to get a basic modeller like a Roland Cube or something - early enough in their career that they can live with the inauthenticity, just to see what sounds they really use given access to a wide range of options. It would then be possible to concentrate on getting the best option for those sounds.

14. Robstafarian

What bothers me about that argument is that it focuses on tones at the expense of technique, which is ironic given that many of the folks who advocate that position admonish people like myself for paying too much attention to gear.

A big part of learning to play the electric guitar is learning how one's playing affects one's amp: a good amp is a musical instrument which reacts to one's playing. Most modelers, especially the basic ones, fail miserably at providing that feedback. A basic tube amp is a much better place to start, though not all “tube” amps in that price spectrum are good choices.

CHAPQUEST, tell me what you think of the Laney CUB12R (≈$400).

15. Magnus Pym

I mostly agree. Tones vs technique probably needs a forum all of it's own. I do think that part of learning the electric guitar is learning what you can play, what you want to play and what you enjoy playing. These are not always the same and not always what you thought they would be at the start. I think amp tones and styles are part of that learning. That was the part about getting in early enough.

Robstafarian likes this.
  16. Spence

Spence New Member

I'm currently loving the Bassbreaker 007. I have been using it for classic and modern rock covers for the brand I currently work with and it covers a lot of ground. I also use a Marshall Guv’nor for distortion for a few songs. I've never had it above about 1 o'clock on the Master Volume and I'm always over the drummer on stage. Keep in mind that he isn't the loudest drummer as he doesn't always beat the drums as if they owe him money. In short, I keep the gain maxed out, mids at about 3 o'clock, treble boost on and control the clean to dirty sounds with my Strat's volume control. Love this amp so far. I literally just joined this forum because I support this light little amp.

17. Robstafarian

Welcome to the forum!

Personally, I think that amp needs an effects loop; it pisses me off that the likes of Fender and Marshall disregard amp architecture in favor of treating an effects loop like a premium feature. Having said that, the Bassbreaker 007 does not meet the OP's reverb requirement.

18. Matt Walker

Matt Walker New Member

is there any particular reason that you are looking at those amps instead of like a smaller but great amp like the blackstar fly 3 which wouldn't be good for the performances but is fantastic as a little practice amp that has a headphone jack for just playing to yourself but still packs one heck of a punch with gain and effects. and then you could just buy the pre amp/amp head with the effects you want and then just bring that to the performances and plug it in to speakers. That would be your cheapest option and would work well and incredibly portable

19. Robstafarian

I doubt that you will receive a productive response, as the OP has not posted in this thread within the last nine months.

20. Wuzza

Wuzza long time lurker

On the floor, triumphantly holding a bottle of red
    Also, quality necromancy. :D