Everyone's complaining about all of the price increases but....

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
I had written a bunch of crap about a friend who bought a guitar recently for under $300 and how his dad was saying it must suck, cause he had a $200 guitar in the 70s that played like crap or whatever, but as I was trying to break down inflation and the shift in quality for entry level to intermediate guitars these days, I realized I don't have to, because Reverb.com did a pretty good job and they're better with words than I am.

https://reverb.com/news/guitaronomics-have-guitars-become-more-expensive-over-time

"In 1960, one of the most popular and affordable entry-level, two-pickup solid-body electric guitars was the Silvertone Stratotone, aka the Harmony H-46. At the time, it cost $54.95 brand new without a case. In 2016 buying power, determined using the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ online inflation calculator, that would be $442.07, more than double what some entry-level electric guitars cost today."

Chu

Regarding the quality of budget gear, I think that standardisation of trussrods, bridges and nuts has allowed much greater ability to make things work, as has ditching the number of catalogue guitars; there really were lots of Squiers, Marlins and Rockwoods bought from Argos when I was a youngster. Throw in the availability of info on how to set up a guitar, there's a lot less shit being moved around.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
Regarding the quality of budget gear, I think that standardisation of trussrods, bridges and nuts has allowed much greater ability to make things work, as has ditching the number of catalogue guitars; there really were lots of Squiers, Marlins and Rockwoods bought from Argos when I was a youngster. Throw in the availability of info on how to set up a guitar, there's a lot less shit being moved around.
Friend of mine put it best when he said "Guitar companies, especially popular budget ones, have a harder time getting away with things, these days. You can't pass off plywood with strings as a beginner instrument, while hoping the buyer has never seen/felt a good guitar up close and won't know the difference, anymore."

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Friend of mine put it best when he said "Guitar companies, especially popular budget ones, have a harder time getting away with things, these days. You can't pass off plywood with strings as a beginner instrument, while hoping the buyer has never seen/felt a good guitar up close and won't know the difference, anymore."
I think this too. In the seventies they could get away with a lot especially through catalogues. There where companies famous for making things that didn't work (Ronco, KTel I'm looking at you). If they tried to sell that crap now they would just get it straight back full refund. Over here the Sales of Goods Act 1979 made a lot of difference.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
I think this too. In the seventies they could get away with a lot especially through catalogues. There where companies famous for making things that didn't work (Ronco, KTel I'm looking at you). If they tried to sell that crap now they would just get it straight back full refund. Over here the Sales of Goods Act 1979 made a lot of difference.
Modern manufacturing processes have a lot to do with it as well. Today's CNC machines, etc. make it much easier to make a quality instrument. The final quality control inspections are where the big difference is. I think more and more companies are realizing they have to put in those final inspections to get the most return.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Modern manufacturing processes have a lot to do with it as well. Today's CNC machines, etc. make it much easier to make a quality instrument. The final quality control inspections are where the big difference is. I think more and more companies are realizing they have to put in those final inspections to get the most return.
Agree. It's both easier to make stuff that works and harder to make a profit making stuff that doesn't work. 'beginner' instuments are much better than they used to be.