Everyone's complaining about all of the price increases but....

ScutMonkey

Nobody is talking about why it's happening. I'm not going to get political here. I'm just going to point out the obvious in that everyone should have seen this coming when the US Tariffs started rolling out against China, Europe, Canada, etc and then various countries retaliated. Everyone's supply chain crosses borders and this is how tariffs work. Companies always pass off new costs to us.

ScutMonkey

But to pursue a conversation in this topic, you will get a bunch of political based replies.
Sadly, probably so, but we don't have to. I am more along the lines of "this is just how it is and people need to learn to accept it. Do you think you can?" And that doesn't just apply to sanctions. It also applies to things like living wages. If you want people to have them, you need to accept the costs which will be rise.

Strigidae

I like owls.
Bait for political discussion. Partly because it's a far-fetched argument; We've had similar price hikes literally every year for almost a decade regardless of US tariffs, and partly because US tariffs doesn't affect a a large part of brands and products we've seen price hikes on, seeing as most of the users here don't deal with brands where the US act as middle man. I'm more than fine with paying more when it means Chinese (and far-eastern) slave labor becomes less competitive in the rest of the world.

Really the only non-political aspect of the price trajectory that we can discuss here would be the product that's gotten more expensive and if it's still worth the price.

mirage2101

Price hikes have been going on longer then the political situation. The political situation would effect europe differently and the price hikes seem to be fairly equal.

We've had a lengthy conversation in the other thread about gibson prices. I think there were good points made there.

That said.. I don't think on this forum a lot of people are complaining about prices. Sure sometimes we wish that we could get that one guitar we can't afford. But I don't see complaining.
Reddit is fairly quiet too. A lot of the gear advice asked is in the <1000 range. And those people tend to accept that some guitars are just more expensive. Some people don't have the money. But the only people who actively complain also go into quality control and functionality issues. Their arguments consist of "Gibson makes shit guitars with switches I don't want for too much money and they're not getting mine. So I'm buying X for $100 and upgrading the pickups so it's a lot better then all you wankers who spend 2k on a gibson"
If that's your opinion, more power to you but I'm not going to spend the energy on nuancing that.
But again, I think generally people aren't complaining a lot and are really happy to get a sweet deal now and then.

All guitars should be free to good homes
But ONLY where an approved level of appreciation and rocking-the-FHHK-out have been established by the proper authorities*...
:)

*I’m in
I am already looking forward to the denial of an application. I would offer my service to motivate the arguments on which the denial was given! Now we only need a doctor or apothecary to write the correct prescription! ;)

Chu

I remember when a USA Fender Standard Stratocaster wad £700 ish. At the time, that was a massive amount to me. The equivalent is now, what? A Professional Strat for about £1300? I can afford that. Les Paul? Likewise.

Whatever, it's a good market at the moment. You don't have to spend a lot for a good guitar. If you feel the need to mock others for doing so, I don't care for your negativity.

I would be more accepting of inflation if companies strived to put out higher quality product every year, however most companies try to cut costs as low as possible to get the best possible profit margins. I am aware that this is a generalization and that a few rare companies and products attempt to avoid this.

mirage2101

I would be more accepting of inflation if companies strived to put out higher quality product every year, however most companies try to cut costs as low as possible to get the best possible profit margins. I am aware that this is a generalization and that a few rare companies and products attempt to avoid this.
Wait what?
The point of inflation is that money becomes worth less. So you're saying for the same absract value guitar builders should improve every year?

Wait what?
The point of inflation is that money becomes worth less. So you're saying for the same absract value guitar builders should improve every year?
If you look at things like Squier bullets and such, they really take the ethos of keeping costs low on their base models by finding cheaper ways to manufacture. And I feel like the quality has improved on inexpensive guitars over the last 20 years.
But some guitar companies still do a lot of manual labor on their builds, and skilled labor costs are high. I also think the cost of higher quality woods has increased more quickly than the costs of lower quality woods. That could explain the increases, as well, considering we had a few years of flat inflation.

doctorpaul

Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.
Staff member
Complaining about the current price of luxury goods is a clear sign of old age. It's a conscious decision to make; enjoy the positives or become a miserable old git.
Wise words there.
If you can afford stuff, buy the stuff and enjoy it.
If you can’t afford stuff, buy cheaper stuff and enjoy it.
The important bit isn’t having the nicest stuff, it’s enjoying YOUR stuff.

Capitalism isn’t going to go away any time soon; businesses like to make money, and we feed the monster.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
Inflation, devaluation of western money compared to eastern markets, better products coming from Korea, Indonesia, and China, increased labor costs in those markets...

Very little political influence on price increases IMO.

$1000 is the new $500 in the guitar world. But the good news is a current $500 guitar will blow the doors off a $500 guitar from 20 yrs ago and value priced instruments are better than they have ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk