ESP vs PRS - What to do?

I'm thinking of buying a new guitar, the budget is about 700 Euros. A friend advised me to take a closer look at the PRS SE guitars, especially the Custom 22/24, I looked up a few vids on YT and as far as the sound I really liked what I heard. If I'll get a chance, I'll try to check them out at my local music store. The thing that creeps me out a bit is the fact, that they are Korean made. Well is it like Gibson and Epi? Or maybe these guitars really have something to do with the Paul Reed Smith guitars made in USA that cost a heavy load of bucks.
Dear Monkey Lord help me with solving this dilemma ;D

Then there's the ESP thing. A week ago I was checking out a cheap ESP EC 50 end was actually pleasantly surprised with that axe. The sound was decent and the playability.. things that I normally need to warm up before to play just popped up and everything clicked. I was positively shocked. The finish is well.. rough ,but taking into consideration the fact that I’d rather buy a higher model this could be the axe for me. Unfortunately again I don’t have the opportunity to check out a higher model at my local music store at present, but hopefully they will get those guitars one day and then no mercy for the sales assistants’ ears ]:->
Any suggestions?
BTW sorry for any mistakes in my English ;] Cheers from Poland ^^

PS if this will be of any help right now I play an Epi SG G-400 Vintage, through a Bugera 6262 120W head + a 4x 12” cab.

RabidEmu

Yes..rabid..that is correct
Well I have to say, when I was looking at upgrading from my Ibanez Gio, I checked out the PRS SE Singlecut and SE customs, as well as ESP/LTD EC 1000. After playing all of them, I went with the EC 1000. The SE's where alittle cheaper, about $550 (american, sorry I am not sure what the exchange rate is :confused: ) and the EC 1000 was $775. They both played decently well, I however didnt like the finish as much on the SE's and do not like finished necks, so I went with the LTD EC 1000 which had a satin neck finish and much better PUPs for the extra money. Just my opinion though, they are all great guitars for the price range, really depends on what feels best to you :cool:

Cheers from the states, and have a good one!

The se prs guitars are alright. They are no where near the level of the american guitars. I dont mean to rag on them, they are fine instruments, I just think everyone should have a reasonable idea of what to expect from a gutiar in their price range. Personally, I hate epiphone, Ill leave it at that, and say I would rather have an se than that.

I dont know what model esp you could get for 700 euros, but thats getting close to what we pay for certain esp standard series here. You may want to consider that, I know some european countries have rediculous vats but I dont know poland's situation so youll need to figure that one out, it may be worth it to import one.

andrew

no offence but don't base your gear choices simply on what someone else plays.
It's something to consider, but everyone is different.

(I hope there are not people out there selling their PRS to get an ESP simply because chappers changed brands)

True, Poland is one of those countries, we have 21% on luxury goods, guitars included, no comment on that :rolleyes:

When it comes to importing this could actually the only possible option for me. Considering that the high model ESP or PRS guitars are hard to get in an average music store, I would probably have to travel like 250 km by train to Warsaw to check out a guitar like that or count on friends that are PROs for some advice. It's not that Poland is a shithole, it's just that when it comes to more expensive guitars Poland is a mild shithole :D And if you want to buy a guitar that costs about... 3000 - 4000 zl (which is around 660 - 880 Euro [ 1 Euro is about 4,5 zl]) you have to choose wisely, because the resellers' market looks more like an old school boy network - if it's not a Gibson or a Fender there can and probably will be problems with selling the guitar if you happen to change your preferences, but than again you have Ebay etc.

Anyways the prices are high e.g. an ESP Eclipse II FM costs about 6 200 zl which gives 1377 Euro or $1722 and I wasn't able to find cheaper standard models in one of the biggest Polish online music stores. Of course there is a wide variety of LTD models to choose from. I probably could get an ESP not LTD but the only option to do that would be getting a used one via Ebay. So what do you think?

As for Rob switching from PRS to ESP, well that's why I'm addressing the question to him, he played many high models of PRS and ESP, so I think he is the person that could provide some nice info on them. I could mail Hammet or Hetfield, but I doubt if they would reply to my e-mail :D :D and I believe Rob will.

why not look at the second hand market. i was looking at the prs se range, they are pretty, they sound fine and they've got good reviews in the magazines. keep an eye on ebay, there are always deals on there.
i managed to get a mint condition prs ce22, maple top, blue, rosewood neck, amazing machine to play. for £815
so it's worth looking around.
i can't comment on esp, as i've never looked at them.
i suppose it depends on what you want to play,blues, metal,jazz???
good luck

Second hand market sounds good, but sometimes Ebay has problems with some Polish credit cards, still this is just a technical issue. Nothing that cannot be solved ;] This and probably a trip to work to the UK unfortunately might be the only option to get the money and the right gear for me. Thx for the advice.

What do I play? Hmm mainly heavy stuff, but it's hard to tell, I play everything from Dream Theater, The Police, Blues, SOAD and Hendrix to Metallica and In Flames. More or less :D Sometimes classical stuff too so I'm looking for a versatile axe with a punch so to speak :D

Rsx

Proprietary international, serial lurker.
If i were you I'd genuinely consider looking into Schecters. At your price point this might be worth it. My first proper electric was a schecter c-1 classic, well priced, built, and spec'd.

It's somewhat different now, but stil amazing.

andrew said:
no offence but don't base your gear choices simply on what someone else plays.
It's something to consider, but everyone is different.

(I hope there are not people out there selling their PRS to get an ESP simply because chappers changed brands)
I'll gladly buy up their PRSes at deep discount, thank ye.

PRS are by far better IMO, i have played many many many guitars and ESP are right down the bottom for me, along with BC rich.

But i am a Hard Rock player not the metal shredder type.

Each to their own...

I enjoy ESP a lot, and I played them for a good while, but I've yet to play any ESP at any price that has put the screws to my Custom 24 in the tone and playability department. They're cool guitars though, and aside from the Signature stuff, I haven't played any ESP Custom shop stuff so I can't vouch for that dept.

Schecters are ok, but I tested only a cheap model. Schecter Avenger, active Duncan Designed pickups etc, I don't know how about the more expensive models, but this one was very good except for the neck which was thick and kind of said "no crazy stuff on me, or I'll break your fingers" :D
I'm not sure If I would want to give ~700 Euros for a Schecter, but I might be mistaken. The higher models are pretty hard to get in Poland.

I agree if sb wants to sell his PRS with a big discount and get an ESP I'll gladly buy one right away :D :D

ten-foot-tryptych

half rock, half gas
otaku said:
True, Poland is one of those countries, we have 21% on luxury goods, guitars included, no comment on that :rolleyes:
Man, if you are in Poland then check out Ran Guitars. I always liked Jeff Waters and he does some demos of Ran guitars on YouTube, see if you like them, you might get an outlet price in Poland..

ten-foot-tryptych said:
Man, if you are in Poland then check out Ran Guitars. I always liked Jeff Waters and he does some demos of Ran guitars on YouTube, see if you like them, you might get an outlet price in Poland..
Wooohoo, man these guitars kick ass! :mad: :mad: Thx ;]
Yes, they are made in Poland, actually they are manufactured in a small company in Olsztyn, it's like 2,5 hours by train from me. The only problem is that these are custom shop axes made in limited amounts, especially the model Waters is playing and the BASIC model costs only 5 000 zl which gives you a woopin' ~$1 400 just for the basic model, not mentioning the custom ones of course. For that kind of cash I could buy some great classic like a Gibson, or an out of space Fender. There's one more thing, a rumor has it that the first Ran guitars were experimental models and the ones they produce now differ in the way they sound etc. I have no idea how does it influence the sound and playability, but still for 5 000 zl I think I could get a really good Gibson flying V or Explorer (my dream :D ). Nevertheless thx for the advice.

If we're in the topic of good Polish guitars have you ever heared about Mayones? They make some ass kickin' guitars too. I'm in love with the Flame Signum Silver Dragon model. EMG 81/85 set, body made of Polish ash and a maple neck. And the pattern on the wood is a killer. I'm curious what's your opinion?

PS they made a commercial of that only in Polish, wait a bit, somewhere in the middle you can actually hear the guitar ;D The good thing is the price, all is custom made in a small factory, like the Rans, but this axe costs like 2 300 zl (~$640).