EQ curves of amplifier tubes

ed lespaul

I’m having a blast with my new Synergy SYN-1. Having a preamp, the size of a book, that gives you a ton of options has been nothing but fun.

I was thinking how much I could downsize, and I used my Seymour Duncan PowerStage as a power amp. It is really fantastic. But using a solid state power amp got me thinking about the difference to a tube amp coloring the sound.

A simple solution to this would be placing an EQ pedal, like an MXR 10 band EQ, set to the EQ tone match of the tube amp against the EQ of the PowerStage.

Using this method, you could have a EQ that would allow you to emulate the coloration of 6L6, EL34, etc., just by changing the EQ settings.

Unfortunately I no longer own a tube head anymore, or I would do an EQ tone match myself and post the EQ settings. Does anyone know of any sites that have the EQ settings from a tube amp?

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I’m having a blast with my new Synergy SYN-1. Having a preamp, the size of a book, that gives you a ton of options has been nothing but fun.

I was thinking how much I could downsize, and I used my Seymour Duncan PowerStage as a power amp. It is really fantastic. But using a solid state power amp got me thinking about the difference to a tube amp coloring the sound.

A simple solution to this would be placing an EQ pedal, like an MXR 10 band EQ, set to the EQ tone match of the tube amp against the EQ of the PowerStage.

Using this method, you could have a EQ that would allow you to emulate the coloration of 6L6, EL34, etc., just by changing the EQ settings.

Unfortunately I no longer own a tube head anymore, or I would do an EQ tone match myself and post the EQ settings. Does anyone know of any sites that have the EQ settings from a tube amp?
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ins...on-eq.html?s=6ae9464273162b02f0176aad86e93175

This looks like a good place to start, I only looked at the first page but they seem really into experimenting.

mirage2101

I’ve been looking at small tube amps exactly because of this. I’m using the Fuchs amp as power stage for the kemper now. But it doesn’t improve portability :)

But I haven’t found something that fits my bill within the price range I’m willing to pay

I always crank my EQ to max on amps. If I need to cut I do it from there.

On my Z’s they both have a boost that bypasses my tone stack and I leave it on 90% of the time. I have an EQ set up for a specific sound.

That’s always my benchmark. If I have to cut to get good sound, it means the amp isn’t up to snuff.

My Mesa just has a ridiculous amount of sounds and I generally find it a pain the ass.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I’ve been looking at small tube amps exactly because of this. I’m using the Fuchs amp as power stage for the kemper now. But it doesn’t improve portability :)

But I haven’t found something that fits my bill within the price range I’m willing to pay
Well, you're going Dutch with your new guitar, why not check out the new Kool Amplification Blue Sky Combo or the Koch stuff?

ed lespaul

Unfortunately, that site was more along the lines of speaker colorations than tube coloration. I'm going to borrow a friend's 5150 head and try a tone match, to get the EQ, and see how close I can get with the EQ pedal.