ENGL Ironball

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by craig, Jan 14, 2018.

1. craig

craig Well-Known Member

Hey guys I wanted to post this thread as I have now owned my ENGL Ironball just about a year and I have had Fender amps Marshall amps Orange amps and the amp I would be able to compare this most to would be my old Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. This thing has it all, well at least for me!

I play anything from the Stones, Aerosmith to the odd Stone Sour song, Sabbath, Guns N Roses and Judas Priest (prefer their newer stuff).
    The amp cleans up beautifully, does low crunchy ac/dc tones all day long and then you can push it a little harder for the heavier stuff, I must say tho I’ve never had the gain past 1 oclock! It does plenty and if I wanted to there is a gain boost switch. You can also use the gain boost as a solo boost with the foot switch, set your rhythm tone on the lead channel and then use the gain boost for the leads. I was talking to a dude in guitar guitar a week ago and he asked what amp I used, I said the ENGL Ironball and he was like “no way, those things are amazing, ENGL are overlooked” I said “I’ll probably get stick for this but I had a Mesa Dual Rectifier and this blows it away, to my ear anyway” he agreed and we stood there for a minute trying to think of a way to describe it, “the engl is tighter” he says. I don’t know if that makes sense but it does to me lol

Anyway, this thing takes pedals great, both through the front and the loop, plays anything you wanna play through it and best of all it has a power soak so you can play it at home. For the reviews I read online that says they don’t know if it will be able to be used live is bollocks, it’s too loud on full power mode! At home you won’t get it past 3.

After talking to the dude in guitar guitar I felt I had to post this as we both think ENGL are overlooked and under rated.

Here it is with my #1 - 1987 Custom
    IMG_E5939.JPG

Heres the front panel
    engl front.jpg

Rear panel:

rear engl.jpg

Oh and they light up Dark Side Red!!!

engl led.jpg

If none of the above tickles your fancy, they now come in white too which light up Jedi Blue:

white engl.jpg

2. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed. Nearly got an Engl a few years ago too.

Simon Park likes this.
  3. craig

craig Well-Known Member

They are great man

Robstafarian and Chu like this.
  4. Simon Park

Simon Park Well-Known Member

Excellent review!

5. craig

craig Well-Known Member

Thanks dude :)

6. AdoraKalb

AdoraKalb New Member

Hi...i used this and according to me its an awesome awesome mini amp. Very versatile and ballsy.Volume-wise, the few shows I played with it I never had to go past, say, 60% of the master volume. Consider that there's no 1:1 proportion between wattage and volume, so I could guess the Ironball still gets you at least around, don't know, 3/4s of the EVH volume? Unless you find yourself cranking up the EVH all the way every gig, I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Simon Park, Chu and Robstafarian like this.
  7. Tankman

Tankman Well-Known Member

When I worked in a Guitar Store the Sales Rep for Engl dropped off some amps for me to check out including the Ironball hoping I would like them and I would become a dealer. I had the feeling with all of them that they sounded like there was a blanket over de speaker. Very muffled. I could not solve that, so I had to give him all his amps back and did not become a dealer in the end.

Simon Park likes this.
  8. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

I've always been confused by this. When I was younger, I used to play in a few loud bands with my Marshall 100w valve half stack. I would always be too loud, would upset the rest of the band and half of the audience who couldn't hear the vocals through the weedy PA but I didn't care as it sounded amazing right in front of my cab. I don't recall needing to go above 4 on the master volume. Fast forward a few years and I've gigged at bigger venues and really learned that keeping stage volume down benefits everyone and that my own rockstar moments are less important than the whole band sounding great. Even in loud bands, I've found no issue with 25w valve amps as long as I've got my cab positioned well. Of course, a great PA helps but I just cannot understand who can't use a decent lower wattage amp live. People talk abo8t headroom and I never use a super clean tone, but who really does?

Simon Park and Robstafarian like this.
  9. Tankman

I do. I use chorus and delay often when playing clean and I don't like it if my clean tone is breaking up. I love it when say Incubus does it, but I can't get it to work for me, so I opt for superclean tones next to my super dirty tones and nothing in between.

Simon Park and Chu like this.
  10. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was being a bit of a nob! I do use a pretty clean tone but one that if I hit hard with the bridge humbucker would still clip a little. Ease off and even try a coil split and it's spanky clean. I've always shied away from that JC120 type clean, I find that anything that clean just sounds flat in my hands but each to their own.

Tankman, Simon Park and Robstafarian like this.
  11. Simon Park

Simon Park Well-Known Member

Chu, we've all done the 'amp too loud' thing when we were younger. I was guilty of it more than once. I think it's part of the whole learning curve.

Chu likes this.
  12. Tankman

I actually use a compressor to keep it clean when I hit hard. I do prefer tube clean. JC120 type cleans are too sterile for my taste.

Chu and Robstafarian like this.
  13. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

Crazy when I think of how unreasonable I was to requests to turn it down a bit.

Robstafarian likes this.
  14. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

You can turn amps down? What?

Chu and Robstafarian like this.
  15. craig

craig Well-Known Member

Thats odd, every ENGL I have tried or heard sounds fantastic, the demos on the ENGL YouTube page all sound awesome. Judas Priest use ENGL live and have done for years and they soung huge.

Each to thier own tho huh, Ive had Marshall, Mesa, Orange, Fender etc and have used the Ironball more than any of the others i had.

Tankman likes this.
  16. Tankman

I recently also heard a Kemper Profile of an Engl Powerball I think. Same thing. Very muffled. I used to play a Peavey 6505, an Orange Jim Root Terror and a boutqiue Plexi Clone. I currently use a Wampler Catapulp that is designed to sound like an Orange Rockerverb. Maybe it's just the sounds I'm used to.

17. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

I have next to no knowledge on a real Powerball but have recently used a profile of one when double tracking my guitar parts for an album. I chose it because of the bite and clarity the profile had. I've tried many profiles of amps which I love, from well respected commercial packs which left me thinking 'How the hell did they make it sound so bad?'.

Robstafarian and Tankman like this.