ENGL Ironball

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by craig, Jan 14, 2018.

1. craig

craig Well-Known Member

Hey guys I wanted to post this thread as I have now owned my ENGL Ironball just about a year and I have had Fender amps Marshall amps Orange amps and the amp I would be able to compare this most to would be my old Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. This thing has it all, well at least for me!

I play anything from the Stones, Aerosmith to the odd Stone Sour song, Sabbath, Guns N Roses and Judas Priest (prefer their newer stuff).
    The amp cleans up beautifully, does low crunchy ac/dc tones all day long and then you can push it a little harder for the heavier stuff, I must say tho I’ve never had the gain past 1 oclock! It does plenty and if I wanted to there is a gain boost switch. You can also use the gain boost as a solo boost with the foot switch, set your rhythm tone on the lead channel and then use the gain boost for the leads. I was talking to a dude in guitar guitar a week ago and he asked what amp I used, I said the ENGL Ironball and he was like “no way, those things are amazing, ENGL are overlooked” I said “I’ll probably get stick for this but I had a Mesa Dual Rectifier and this blows it away, to my ear anyway” he agreed and we stood there for a minute trying to think of a way to describe it, “the engl is tighter” he says. I don’t know if that makes sense but it does to me lol

Anyway, this thing takes pedals great, both through the front and the loop, plays anything you wanna play through it and best of all it has a power soak so you can play it at home. For the reviews I read online that says they don’t know if it will be able to be used live is bollocks, it’s too loud on full power mode! At home you won’t get it past 3.

After talking to the dude in guitar guitar I felt I had to post this as we both think ENGL are overlooked and under rated.

Here it is with my #1 - 1987 Custom
    IMG_E5939.JPG

Heres the front panel
    engl front.jpg

Rear panel:

rear engl.jpg

Oh and they light up Dark Side Red!!!

engl led.jpg

If none of the above tickles your fancy, they now come in white too which light up Jedi Blue:

white engl.jpg

2. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed. Nearly got an Engl a few years ago too.

3. craig

craig Well-Known Member

They are great man

Robstafarian and Chu like this.
  4. Simon Park

Simon Park Active Member

Excellent review!

5. craig

craig Well-Known Member

Thanks dude :)