EMG pickups (Weird switch?)

Discussion in 'Chapman Guitars' started by Reddfoxx141, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Reddfoxx141

Reddfoxx141 Active Member

I recently traded a couple of guitars for a Synyster Gates signature guitar. The guitar cane with a set of active emg pickups but they’re not not like ones I’ve seen before. It has a switch that, when on, creates a lot of noise and adds more gain (or pushes the pickups further). I can’t rememeber the pickups that were put in it. I think they’re the EMG 81/60s but I have no idea to be honest. Has anyone seen a switch like this before and if so, does anyone know exactly what it is? I’ve heard that there are a set of EMGs that are passive but you can activate a preamp on them but I have no clue if this is real or not

2. Tankman

Tankman Well-Known Member

It sounds like an EMG Afterburner which is basically a 20dB boost. This is Pot. If it's a switch it's an EMG PA2.

3. Reddfoxx141

Reddfoxx141 Active Member

Ah yeah you’re right. Don’t think it’s the afterburner exactly but it’s definitely a preamp of some sort. It’s really noisy though. Is that normal?

4. Tankman

Tankman Well-Known Member

Too much boost and too much gain can result in some noise. You could have the wiring checked of course just to be sure.

What kind of noise are you experiencing?