Desperate Need Of Help With Fixing My Silver Jubilee / Oxford Area

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Way back in September last year, I managed to blow a valve on my Silver Jubilee. What I assumed would be straight forward to get fixed as turned into a real nightmare for me.

When I asked some guitar buddies who live locally to me, about where I could get it fixed, they all listed the same guy, who actually did the humbucker install on my Gibson LP Classic Custom. After a number of emails back and forth, it was starting to look like I am having to outlay at least £300 to get it all sorted. Because I hadn't been getting my amp serviced, he told me that it would need doing and I would need to also get myself a set of new valves, which for my Silver Jubilee is around the £100-£110 range. Then with other costs added on, the final amount was quickly going up.

I've been without any amp for almost 6 months now and because I only getting a small amount of money each month from my disability living allowance (I don't score the right type of points with the DWP system), I can't afford to have a massive bill like that come in. What little money I have, tends to get gobbled up quickly, as I make sure my folks get housekeep from me, as they are now both fully retired.

Is there anyone on the forums, I could drive to and have them get my amp working for me again please? I don't know if I have to get a full set of matched valves, or if the blown one can just be replaced. I don't have the ability to bias an amp, as my back will not be able cope with me being bent over working on my amps PCB.

I can drive pretty much anywhere from the midlands to the south coast with the amp. I am happy to pay for your time, but I need help with buying the right valve/valves etc, getting it all installed and set up.

If anyone has a set of valves that can be sold 2nd hand to me, I would also be grateful if we could set up a deal. The amp is typically just played in 50w mode and I've not clocked up that many hours on it and the amp is a bedroom amp, so it's not at risk of being damaged the same way a gigging amp would. I'm prepaired to trade some of my Boss pedals or even the parts on my Mexican Strat body, with the Lace Sensors Gold and the Fender TBX pot in the pickguard.

As many of you all know, the Silver Jubilee has been my dream amp since I was 18 in the late 80's and I am just so gutted that I've not been able to afford to get it fixed right away. I've been playing on my LP Custom, but it's just not the same as having it go through a nice amp. What makes matters even more bitter, is SparrowBlade aka James, was able to get me the matching 2x12 Marshall Silver Jubilee cab, which has improved the sound in my room, as there is space around the rig, so the air moves easier and I'm not loosing volume due to items soaking it up.

I might have to try and sell a number of my Boss pedals, to try and raise the cash if I can't find anyone on here who can help me get it fixed. I would rather my pedals go to another forum member, as part of a trade that directly leads to my Jubilee being fixed.

Cheers,

Dan/Felix

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
What caused the quote to get to £300. What are the “other costs”.

I’m assuming a full set of valves, biasing and labour is making up some of that.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
That's correct , a full set of matched valves, service plus other tasks (biasing etc) and it was around £300. I don't understand about valves etc, so if I don't have to have them all replaced, it will save me so much money.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
I think the problem is that high voltage electronics are no place for the amateur. Someone going in there better know what they are doing or they can get killed. I took my Blues Jnr to this guy

https://www.amp-repairs-leicester.com/solutions-and-services/

admittedly it was only a problem with the reverb tank but he seemed like a good guy to me and appeared to know what he was talking about. It might be worth giving him a call for a second opinion.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
I think the problem is that high voltage electronics are no place for the amateur. Someone going in there better know what they are doing or they can get killed. I took my Blues Jnr to this guy

https://www.amp-repairs-leicester.com/solutions-and-services/

admittedly it was only a problem with the reverb tank but he seemed like a good guy to me and appeared to know what he was talking about. It might be worth giving him a call for a second opinion.
This is why I point blank refuse to do anything with it myself. I have no idea what the hell I am doing and I'd happily stay irrigant in sorting myself.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
@Felix ask the guy who quoted you £300 to email you a break down of what he’s charging you for.
If you haven’t ever had the amp serviced there may be more going on than a valve change, bias and service - sometimes when an amp *blows* there can be wider damage which might explain the price he’s proposing to charge you.
There can be a huge difference in cost dependent on how many valves need replaced and whether the one/s needing replaced are in the pre amp or power section (or both!).
It might be an idea to check the internet for the type of valves the Jubilee needs - different types produce different sounds bud - to make sure you end up getting the correct type so that, when it’s fixed, your Jubilee sounds good to your ears.
@Lonestar has given you the name of another highly reputable guy nearby and a second opinion is always a good thing where shelling out cash is concerned.
Good luck bud.
:)

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
How much are you short? I'll chip in. Feel guilty a bit cos I can fix it but with the baby on the way shortly I haven't got the time.
Thanks Higgy dude that means a lot, for now I'm going to put it on the back burner yet again, as I need to get my sodding MacBook repaired, which is the bigger priority :(

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Genuinely bruv it's a community here I would hate to see someone go without their amp because a stupid reason like money.

I'd even chip in if Scott needed a break.

I don't have an alternative tech to go to in Oxford and because I don't understand enough when it comes to valve amps, I don't know if there are options. It's now been 6 months since I was last able to play on my amp and as you and many of the regulars on here know, it's been my dream rig since I was 18 some 21 years ago :(

I was going to put most of my gear up for sale, just so I could raise enough to get it done. But what is more gutting is my Les Paul Custom is hardly touched as it's just not the same without my amp working.

Because I don't score the right type of points with the Dept work and pensions, they have managed to prevent me from getting a proper disability benefit, even though doctors, physios and surgeons all agree that I am hardly able to use a chair for anything longer than 45 mins, before I am in too much pain. Even with the spinal implant stimulator, I will still have to deal with damage to my vertibra and discs. Yet I read stories of people who are able to defraud the system of tens of thousands for years, with next to no medical proof.

I can't even get a small loan to get the work done, as my health situation means they won't allow me to get one.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge

Thanks for hunting those down @Wade Garrett , just started to go through the list now and see what/who is able to get it up and running again. I've started to pick my LP Custom up again, which is making me want to get my Silver Jubilee working again.