Custom shop vs vintage

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Pros and cons for both. We all wax lyrical about vintage gear as if it’s the pinnacle of the guitar world. But, production standards have come a long way and you’re more likely to find a cack 60s strat than a cack CS strat from last year. However, find a good one and you’re a winner. That said, the good vintage guitars are priced accordingly. Custom shop guitars don’t always replicate the guitars of yesteryear either... most custom shops exist to give the freedom of choice and that is ultimately what you are paying for.
This is similar to what I was thinking. A modern true custom shop is built with the experience of decades of guitar building and all the modern technology to help but doesn't exist yet. The Vintage has time proven itself to be great ... but has it though. The construction was variable at best. Some were great others not so much. The truly great ones are not for sale. There was a vintage Les Paul that had been owned by many great players for sale recently. The reason many great players had owned it was that is that none of them really jelled with it and so passed it on. i.e it wasn't that great to begin with.

Last edited:

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Here’s an interesting detail from the 50-54 period at fender. Obviously they were still finding their feet but this was the norm on their production line telecasters which these days fetch high five figure sums. Of course, they get those prices because of the fact that they’re a snapshot from the golden era at fender.

17072C44-9EDE-4FE4-A3DF-940877701D47.jpeg

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Here’s another few interesting quirks. Englarged neck pockets which create a tray for the neck to sit on. The router humps we’re also delightful little imperfections :)

0D68CF75-25E5-4905-9E32-B76AAC2B1033.jpeg

ScutMonkey

I'd buy a '73 Gibson Flying V medallion because it would double as a solid investment for my kids to sell when they pried it from my cold, dead hands.

Uptown

A confused lysdexic
Vintage= Find mojo that works for you, may not be what you expect but may send your playing in interesting directions if it works well.

Custom= Fine tune mojo to work for you based around your experiences of other guitars. get exactly what you want, but hope that that translates as good sound and playing to other people.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Vintage= Find mojo that works for you, may not be what you expect but may send your playing in interesting directions if it works well.
It's true that playing is feeling and if a vintage guitar makes you feel good that will probably reflect in your playing even if the guitar isn't that great.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
It depends on what era of guitar you're going for. I would say a CS guitar is going to be of a better build quality, but having owned and played on some older guitars from the 70's to the 90's, there is something special about them.

If you have the money for one or the other, it should be about how it feels, how it makes you feel and if it actually sounds good. There are plenty of shite sounding 50's Gibson LP's , yet a '59 regardless if it sounds like Bernie Marsdens "Beast" or just meh, it's going to be a 6 figure number to own it.

Alex Theory

Northern Monkey
I think the answer really is 'Both'.

If you can afford a good example of the vintage version of your current GAS, go with that... if you can't, go with CS.

The wrong answer however is to opt for Vintage over CS purely due to the age. Vintage doesn't guarantee good.

DrJazztap

Custom Shop easily! Still brick shitting gigging with a guitar that costs several thousands of pounds, but at least you could gig with it. I know people do occasionally gig with 60s strats. It's not as common a site down the dog and duck. And can you imagine having a £25k guitar nicked?

mirage2101

I for one have decided for the Luthier route.
I'm spending the same amount of money but after having a beer with the guy who's going to build it last weekend.. It's going to be amazing :)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I for one have decided for the Luthier route.
I'm spending the same amount of money but after having a beer with the guy who's going to build it last weekend.. It's going to be amazing :)
So you were satisfied with Frank's work? You won't be disappointed! Again, great guy. If anything is not to your liking, just tell him. He's very easygoing, but you know that by now.

mirage2101

So you were satisfied with Frank's work? You won't be disappointed! Again, great guy. If anything is not to your liking, just tell him. He's very easygoing, but you know that by now.
He didn't have a lot because a dealer just got away with half his stock, but what was there was great.
We're going for the rochelle as a base: http://stoneycreekguitars.com/rochelle/
It'll have the neck like my current strat because it's just lovely. We're going with an armrest and belly cut. The look will be inspired by https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/custom_24_08_2019

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
He didn't have a lot because a dealer just got away with half his stock, but what was there was great.
We're going for the rochelle as a base: http://stoneycreekguitars.com/rochelle/
It'll have the neck like my current strat because it's just lovely. We're going with an armrest and belly cut. The look will be inspired by https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/custom_24_08_2019
I've played the Rochelle. Lovely guitar. It looks like the lovechild of a Tele and a Les Paul. Only thing I would change is the controls. I would get rid of the middle 2 knobs and just go with 1 volume and 1 tone.

Good luck, enjoy the process etc etc!

mirage2101

I've played the Rochelle. Lovely guitar. It looks like the lovechild of a Tele and a Les Paul. Only thing I would change is the controls. I would get rid of the middle 2 knobs and just go with 1 volume and 1 tone.

Good luck, enjoy the process etc etc!
On the other hand the extra controls give more options to equalize the output.. I did use it on my les paul.