Crazy 12-string build

Thanks! I think progress is going to slow to a crawl for a while, partly because of visitors for a few days but more because I've pretty much decided that I'm going to do a complex set of inlays on the fretboard. I need to do those before I install the frets and then glue the cap onto the body, so there's not much else that can progress until I complete them.

I will update again when there's been some progress, but it won't be fast.

This is why progress will be slow in the near future (plus I still have my visitors until tomorrow so I've done almost nothing this week):

I drew the bird on the 2nd fret instead of the 3rd, so I've moved that. I may decide to put another leaf on the first fret if it looks too bare there. I'm still hesitating over this a bit because part of me thinks that it's going to look too busy, but it's just a guitar for me and it will give me a lot of much-needed practice in making inlays!

In case some of my drawings confuse you, this is what they are supposed to be (and hopefully the inlays will be better than the drawings), from left to right:
Fret 21 - leaf
Fret 19 - cherries
Fret 17 - bird (flying)
Fret 15 - flower
Fret 12 - sun
Fret 9 - squirrel
Fret 7 - oak leaf
Fret 5 - acorn
Fret 3 - bird
[Fret 1 - another leaf]

Part of this is an attempt to cover up some tear-out on the fretboard, part of it is tree-of-life inspired and there's a bit of PRS inspiration in there as well (plus my usual signature oak leaf).

I shall be picking up my scalpel for the first cuts in the near future!

Just thought I'd post a quick update on the inlays, for comparison with the piccie 2 posts above...progress has been made but there's plenty of very fiddly work still to be done!

I'm wondering whether the wood that I used for the branches is too colourful; I might consider staining them to a slightly more neutral shade if they look out of place when the other inlays are done.

This is taking a long time because it's rather tricky to cut out the holes to the exact shapes! It's coming along, though.

More work on inlays...not all glued in yet, but last night and tonight I've been carefully cutting out the inlays from pieces of mother-of-pearl...

The oak leaf, acorn and squirrel aren't actually inlaid yet, as they need a little bit of tidying up and I haven't made the holes. The sun and two of the rays are inlaid, and I've also done the leaf and cherries at the dusty end (which is currently dusty and gluey!).

The inlays are finished...I'm vaguely wondering about scratching lines or dots in them to make eyes or interior lines, but I might leave well alone. This has been quite an undertaking, but I'm pleased with the result.

Now I can get on with the rest of the build! Also, I have another guitar on the go which deserves a bit more attention, so I think I'll focus on that one tomorrow.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
The inlays are finished...I'm vaguely wondering about scratching lines or dots in them to make eyes or interior lines, but I might leave well alone. This has been quite an undertaking, but I'm pleased with the result.

Now I can get on with the rest of the build! Also, I have another guitar on the go which deserves a bit more attention, so I think I'll focus on that one tomorrow.
Looking good man!

That is some crazy nice artwork man! Inlay GAS!

Although I've been spending more time on the fanned fret guitar this week, today I glued the cap on. Tomorrow I think I'll work a bit more on this guitar, to prepare the top and back for staining - and, with a bit of luck, maybe stain one or both of them too!

The top and back need to be tidied up and rounded off, and then sanded multiple times before they are ready for the stain. That shouldn't take too long, though.

Today I finally managed to finish all of the sanding and other preparation that was needed before I could stain this guitar. So I stained it. Here's the top:

And here's the back:

The headstock is stained similarly to the top, although it's a maple veneer rather than the zebrano.

Not much left to do on this guitar now, although the first job is going to be cleaning off the stain that bled onto the sides! :(

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Today I finally managed to finish all of the sanding and other preparation that was needed before I could stain this guitar. So I stained it. Here's the top:

And here's the back:

The headstock is stained similarly to the top, although it's a maple veneer rather than the zebrano.

Not much left to do on this guitar now, although the first job is going to be cleaning off the stain that bled onto the sides! :(
I like the look mate.

Thanks! It was designed to be different, but still familiar. The zebrawood top is unusual, and my design for the soundhole and the control plate (which is obviously missing on that photo but they mirror each other's shapes) is also unusual, but the burst and the fairly normal shape keep it from becoming too outlandish.

The shape, incidentally, is basically a PRS custom with longer horns to compensate for the heavier headstock, since it will hold 12 machine heads. Making the upper horn longer allows the strap button to be located closer to the headstock, which will help to reduce any neck dive.

I had to do quite a lot of work to clean up the stain. There were a lot of patches that had bled onto the sides of the guitar, so I had to sand them down and then retouch the edges of the top. I'm now on the point of lacquering it - I'm going to use some brush-on polyurethane lacquer since I don't have spraying facilities. Finishing tends to take a long time because of the amount of time that you have to leave the coats to dry (and I have to check that for the lacquer that I have), but I think that this guitar should be finished before the end of September.

In the meantime, I've published the last of the build videos for this guitar, since I'm not going to video the finishing process. This video focuses (hah!) on the stain, and shows exactly how I made the burst.

Enjoy! :)