Common Amp Advice Questions

Tankman

@Robstafarian

Here we go!
  1. Where are you located? The Netherlands
  2. What is your budget? About €1000, which in amp world comes down to $1000.
  3. What guitars do you play, and what pickups are in them? Custom made mahogany Tele and Alder Strat, both with a TV Jones Classic Plus in the bridge. The tele has a TV Jones Starwood tele neck pickup. The strat only has the one pickup. I am considering getting the new Bareknuckle True Grit for the strat.
  4. What effects do you use? Dunlop mini Crybaby, Phase 90, Emma Transmorgrifier Compressor, Mesa Flux Drive, Wampler Catapulp, Dr. No Mother Brain analog delay. The Mesa Flux might get bumped for a DS-1 or an Ibanez OD850.
  5. Does it have to be a combo? Yes.
  6. Does it have to be new? No.
  7. What are your size and weight limitations? As long as I can lift it with 1 arm, I'm good. So Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is good. Fender Hot Rod Deville and Twin is too heavy.
  8. Do you need to be especially quiet at home? No.
  9. Do you need to be especially loud at gigs? I need the clean headroom at least, but it doesn't have to be extremely loud.
  10. What is your taste for low end, mids, et cetera? Not sure how to answer this. I like crisp, clear clean tones that still have the roundness and warmth to it. I don't like the hifi type cleans of my current Tubemeister. I also don't like Marshall type cleans.
  11. What do you want to sound like (YouTube and/or Soundcloud links are most welcome)? I want to sound like me...is that ok?

mirage2101

@Robstafarian

Here we go!
  3. What guitars do you play, and what pickups are in them? Custom made mahogany Tele and Alder Strat, both with a TV Jones Classic Plus in the bridge. The tele has a TV Jones Starwood tele neck pickup. The strat only has the one pickup. I am considering getting the new Bareknuckle True Grit for the strat.
  4. What effects do you use? Dunlop mini Crybaby, Phase 90, Emma Transmorgrifier Compressor, Mesa Flux Drive, Wampler Catapulp, Dr. No Mother Brain analog delay. The Mesa Flux might get bumped for a DS-1 or an Ibanez OD850.
  7. What are your size and weight limitations? As long as I can lift it with 1 arm, I'm good. So Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is good. Fender Hot Rod Deville and Twin is too heavy.
  9. Do you need to be especially loud at gigs? I need the clean headroom at least, but it doesn't have to be extremely loud.
  10. What is your taste for low end, mids, et cetera? Not sure how to answer this. I like crisp, clear clean tones that still have the roundness and warmth to it. I don't like the hifi type cleans of my current Tubemeister. I also don't like Marshall type cleans.
  11. What do you want to sound like (YouTube and/or Soundcloud links are most welcome)? I want to sound like me...is that ok?
Risking Robstafarian's wrath by answering here.. Maybe you'd better make a new thread..

So do you want a pedal platform? Or an amp with gain and effects loop?
What kind of music do you play?
I'm sorry if I missed it but what are you playing now and why do you want to get something else?

Tankman

Risking Robstafarian's wrath by answering here.. Maybe you'd better make a new thread..

So do you want a pedal platform? Or an amp with gain and effects loop?
What kind of music do you play?
I'm sorry if I missed it but what are you playing now and why do you want to get something else?
Actually, I think I already made up my mind about the amp, but Robstafarian asked me to fill this out for him. I was curious to see his opinion.

I am looking for a pedal platform. I play Alternative Hard Rock like Incubus and Audioslave. I am currently using an HK Tubemeister Deluxe 40 with matching 2x12.

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
@Robstafarian

Here we go!
I only skimmed Thomann, as you have already made a decision, and I would say that it comes down to the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV and the Marshall Origin 50C—only one of which you can actually buy now. I hope you do not mind that I did not dive into the used market.

Robstafarian

Risking Robstafarian's wrath by answering here..
It seems folks are reading too much into my earlier post, though—to be honest—I probably should just stay away when an ANS reset peaks: at least one member here added me to his ignore list, without a word to me, during the last one.

Thanks to my neurological symptoms, I forgot to ask: what does that translate into for the size and weight of the head and the 2x12 cab?
I'm not terribly concerned with physical dimensions as much as i am output.. these 2 micro heads run through an AB/Y are fantastic when mic'd, but for venues and jams where a PA isn't an option, they are a way underpowered. My bad for hijacking the thread Rob!

Robstafarian

I'm not terribly concerned with physical dimensions as much as i am output.. these 2 micro heads run through an AB/Y are fantastic when mic'd, but for venues and jams where a PA isn't an option, they are a way underpowered. My bad for hijacking the thread Rob!
Please, tell me your weight limitations.

Tankman

I only skimmed Thomann, as you have already made a decision, and I would say that it comes down to the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV and the Marshall Origin 50C—only one of which you can actually buy now. I hope you do not mind that I did not dive into the used market.
Awesome! My mind was set on the Hot Rod Deluxe IV. I'm going to try and make a deal today by trading in my Tubemeister. The Marshall did catch my attention, but I've never liked the Marshall sound.

1. Where are you located? Denmark but are planning to move to London UK when my business permits.
  2. What is your budget? unlimited as cost for gear has always been irrelevant to me
  3. What guitars do you play, and what pickups are in them? Jackson Rhoads custom has Seymore Duncans and Partscaster Blackie has Fender CS69 1998 AY in it
  4. What effects do you use?Depends on the amp but mod Fuzz Face, Wah and univibe
  5. Does it have to be a combo? Since going for an old 1978 Marshall 2104 combo I got into that and I am open to smaller amps as a result. As long as it sounds great.
  6. Does it have to be new? No I like old stuff and as long as it works and can be serivced I am ok
  7. What are your size and weight limitations? Must be transportable in a car and have wheels if it's large or heavy
  8. Do you need to be especially quiet at home? No not currently
  9. Do you need to be especially loud at gigs? Just as loud as the not micked drummer
  10. What is your taste for low end, mids, et cetera? Mid in the central but otherwise depending on the gain type
  11. What do you want to sound like (YouTube and/or Soundcloud links are most welcome)? Me! I had chased Jimi and Justice for all down. Somehow I still got to find me.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
  1. Where are you located? Denmark but are planning to move to London UK when my business permits.
  2. What is your budget? unlimited as cost for gear has always been irrelevant to me
  3. What guitars do you play, and what pickups are in them? Jackson Rhoads custom has Seymore Duncans and Partscaster Blackie has Fender CS69 1998 AY in it
  4. What effects do you use?Depends on the amp but mod Fuzz Face, Wah and univibe
  5. Does it have to be a combo? Since going for an old 1978 Marshall 2104 combo I got into that and I am open to smaller amps as a result. As long as it sounds great.
  6. Does it have to be new? No I like old stuff and as long as it works and can be serivced I am ok
  7. What are your size and weight limitations? Must be transportable in a car and have wheels if it's large or heavy
  9. Do you need to be especially loud at gigs? Just as loud as the not micked drummer
  10. What is your taste for low end, mids, et cetera? Mid in the central but otherwise depending on the gain type
  11. What do you want to sound like (YouTube and/or Soundcloud links are most welcome)? Me! I had chased Jimi and Justice for all down. Somehow I still got to find me.
For #10, I'm taking that to mean you want something more mids-forward? If that's the case, you might want to look into something from Orange.

Robstafarian

Please, start a new thread wherein we can all help you choose an amp.