Common Amp Advice Questions

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
A typical approach from OP's would be.... "I like Greenday, what amp should I get?"

I dare you to attempt to answer that with a modicum of knowledge based on what little information was provided. The conversation can "breath" in a positive and direct manner if we have more information. Otherwise the first 5 pages are full of people suggesting every amp ever made followed by 5 pages of arguments.
I also hope that starting such threads as described in the OP would reduce or eliminate “drive-by suggestions” (e.g. “I have a [name of amp which does not meet the stated requirements], and you should buy one because it is is the most awesome thing evar!”).

Dj_host

Out To Lunch. Missing, presumed fed
A typical approach from OP's would be.... "I like Greenday, what amp should I get?"

I dare you to attempt to answer that with a modicum of knowledge based on what little information was provided. The conversation can "breath" in a positive and direct manner if we have more information. Otherwise the first 5 pages are full of people suggesting every amp ever made followed by 5 pages of arguments.
JCM 900. Done

Stigs

Why do I feel like this is a stab at me with the Green Day thing? :p :bounce:

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Personally, I think Roberto's format actually allows for more discussion as it means people can have a more informed recommendation to answer someone request for help.

Also to be fair, it's usually Roberto who answers a good number of threads/requests where it comes to amps. So if people can at least put in some effort by reading the OP in this thread, it means more people can get the right answers. I mean I still think a 100w Marshall valve amp mated up to a 4x12 cab is a perfectly acceptable bedroom amp, but others may disagree with me.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Two 1959 Plexi Superlead 100's. One with the Dookie Mod (Bradshaw Gain mod) and the other with the SE Lead mod. The real stuff...we weren't talking about a budget here. :p
Stiggy , now that is a rig of doom and win!

Actually if we are talking about a stereo rigs, for a more modern version, I would go for a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555 and a Marshall AFD100!

Stigs

Stiggy , now that is a rig of doom and win!

Actually if we are talking about a stereo rigs, for a more modern version, I would go for a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555 and a Marshall AFD100!
I see you go for more of an 80's sound. That is also a killer rig! I wish I could get an AFD100. Built in power attenuation and a kick ass Marshall tone. I wouldn't mind the weight of that and a 2x12 if I had the chance to own one.

DrJazztap

These amp threads must be highly frustrating. As there is no right answer. I tried out a Matchless DC30 which was incredible, a Vox AC15 which was awful.....and then last week a Yamaha THR100...which really impressed me. I didn't get to play with the clean channel as much, but the drive sounds are very good. Seriously in a few years, that will be bargaintastic.