Common Amp Advice Questions

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
After helping dozens (quite possibly hundreds) of people in their respective amp hunts, I think that amp advice threads would be much more productive if they began with answers to following questions:
  1. Where are you located?
  2. What is your budget?
  3. What guitars do you play, and what pickups are in them?
  4. What effects do you use?
  5. Does it have to be a combo?
  6. Does it have to be new?
  7. What are your size and weight limitations?
  8. Do you need to be especially quiet at home?
  9. Do you need to be especially loud at gigs?
  10. What is your taste for low end, mids, et cetera?
  11. What do you want to sound like (YouTube and/or Soundcloud links are most welcome)?

Marklikestea

Other bevarages are available
There is only so much you can say or ask about guitar stuff and this is a forum designed to promote conversation, mods are always trying to stifle stuff they have addressed before and are keen to rebuke to new users for failing to use the search tool. Let the conversations breath and if your sick of a reoccurring subject dont answer it.

Guitar-Gulliver

Officially "reasonably competent"
I think that choosing an amp is pretty simple.
You go to music stores and pick the one that sounded the best with your guitar!
Unless you live in the middle of nowhere so there's no convenient store nearby.

What if you're housebound or prefer to shop online?

What if what you want is ONLY available online? (Jet City in the UK)

What if your local store doesn't stock what you want. (I live in the desolate wastelands of the West Midlands, and the nearest place for me to try a Victory is a 2 hour drive)

What if you don't have the budget for new, and want advice on what sort of thing to look for in the used market?

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere so there's no convenient store nearby.

What if you're housebound or prefer to shop online?

What if what you want is ONLY available online? (Jet City in the UK)

What if your local store doesn't stock what you want. (I live in the desolate wastelands of the West Midlands, and the nearest place for me to try a Victory is a 2 hour drive)

What if you don't have the budget for new, and want advice on what sort of thing to look for in the used market?
I hear you man.
I suggested an ideal way to choose an amp.
If you can't try out amps for yourself, of course you can consult friends and listen to demos - but that's not optimal since demos can't simulate live 12" speakers + everyone of us forum members hears differently.
Buying an amp "blindfolded" is risky. From my experience it can end as a great success or in tears, depends on your luck :)

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
There is only so much you can say or ask about guitar stuff and this is a forum designed to promote conversation, mods are always trying to stifle stuff they have addressed before and are keen to rebuke to new users for failing to use the search tool. Let the conversations breath and if you are sick of a reoccurring subject dont answer it.
How can you possibly think that the questions I wrote are meant to stifle conversation?!

Lone Star

There is only so much you can say or ask about guitar stuff and this is a forum designed to promote conversation, mods are always trying to stifle stuff they have addressed before and are keen to rebuke to new users for failing to use the search tool. Let the conversations breath and if your sick of a reoccurring subject dont answer it.
A typical approach from OP's would be.... "I like Greenday, what amp should I get?"

I dare you to attempt to answer that with a modicum of knowledge based on what little information was provided. The conversation can "breath" in a positive and direct manner if we have more information. Otherwise the first 5 pages are full of people suggesting every amp ever made followed by 5 pages of arguments.