Classic cRPG's

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by ElectricSaga, Jun 21, 2017.

1. ElectricSaga

ElectricSaga Bearded person

Hey there. This is awesome, music, guitars and games.

So are there any fans of traditional computer RPG's around here? I sort of grew up with game series like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. Later I played Fallout 1 & 2, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, NWN 1 & 2, and many others I probably forgot about.

I really enjoyed the newish crowdfunded cRPG's like Wasteland 2, the Shadowrun Returns games and especially Pillars of Eternity. I also liked Torment: Tides of Numenera, it's a good adventure/puzzle approach to cRPG's. I recently got Tyranny but haven't played it yet, and I'm eagerly awaiting The Bard's Tale IV, Underground Ascendant, Wasteland 3 and Pillars 2.

I also like other games as well but figured we might as well discuss these in here.

PS: If you didn't know already GOG.com is an excellent place to get games without the hassles of DRM.

2. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufustarian” Staff Member

The only cRPG I have played is Fallout, and I did not get very far before the built-in time limit bit me in the ass. I still need to start over from my save at the mouth of the starting cave. Though I look forward to Fallout 2 giving me more time to explore, I will not start it until I have finished Fallout. I love Fallout.

I am thinking of exploring the genre more, and that is complicated by my sensitivity to control schemes.

3. ElectricSaga

Yeah Fallout was really ahead of its time in video game complexity. Next time you play it first focus on getting the water chip (sort of an in-game emergency) and then you should have plenty of time to fool around while you finish the game. Also, try Wasteland 2 :)

https://www.gog.com/game/wasteland_2_directors_cut_digital_classic_edition

If you like this genre but prefer newer games you should look into what companies like inXile, Obsidian, Harebrained Schemes and Larian are doing these days. The enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are also decent, and the games themselves are great. All of these will require many hours however, which sucks if you also want to be a functional adult.

Robstafarian likes this.
  4. Dead Circuits

Dead Circuits Active Member

This reminded me I have Baldur's Gate on my tablet to play when its quiet at work

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

5. ElectricSaga

I wonder what it's like to play BG on a tablet, especially for brief intervals at a time. I normally end up playing for hours.

Robstafarian likes this.
  6. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Stop, don’t, come back.

i have Balders Gate but not played it much

i was always more a paper, imagination and polyhedral kind of guy

Robstafarian likes this.
  7. Joeli0sis

Joeli0sis Active Member

I hadnt done any gaming in YEARS and my buddy roped in a few of us to try Roll20 for a 5th edition campaign. It's super nice!!! It's easier for the people with kids who can't hang out for a whole sunday like back in the day

Robstafarian and johnniegoat like this.
  8. beanball

beanball Retired Rock God

I recently played Fallout 2 after not having played it since the 90s. Since I had just completed Fallout 4, the turn-based system took a while to re-acclimate to. I really liked the original Fallout as well. But even I was surprised at how rusty I was at the game. Looking back, however, it was nice to see how much of the feel and mythos from the games survived into the most recent iterations.

9. ElectricSaga

Just a heads up, there's a big sale on GOG.com right now with tons of excellent cRPG's.

Robstafarian likes this.
  10. MABLUNG

MABLUNG Ain't nobody like me but me.

Played pretty much everything Wizard Of The Coast.
    Big ol' dnd fan so when a 'proper' game or larp isn't happening then I'll go digital.
    I do prefer the Dice, Paper, Mates, (and pizza) combo of rpg'ing.

Robstafarian and johnniegoat like this.
  11. ElectricSaga

Yeah tabletop gaming can be much more interesting and fun. Computer RPG's do not substitute tabletop RPG's, but they can be great video games. Different experiences.