Chapman Ml3 Bea Pickups/Tuning/String Gauge

Hello to all, I recently traded my Ml1-Pro for a Ml3 bea and I must say I'm impressed. Right off the bat however, the pickups gotta go. Ive got my eyes on a bareknuckle holy diver for the bridge and a Seymour Duncan lil 59 for the neck. I've read from someone elses post that they had trouble replacing the neck pickup as it needed to be routed but I couldn't tell how much because the pictures and description weren't very good. So anyway I was wondering if other owners of this guitar could shed some light on this issue if anyone has done so and also include what pickups you went with, what tuning you use and what gauge you use. Currently for E flat/drop C# im using NYXL 11's, but they feel a little chunky. Its my only half step down guitar so its a pain in the ass to switch between those two tunings but there's not much I can do about that as I do use the tremolo here and there for certain songs. I also did not make a truss rod adjustment, just adjusted intonation slightly and the bridge tension. If anyone has any input on any of these topics it'd be great, id love to hear what other people use this guitar for. Thanks

ScutMonkey

I'm surprised to hear you don't like the bridge pickup. It's voiced after a Bareknuckle Warpig which is his favorite bridge pickup. That's too bad.

Its not so much that I dont like it, I just know it doesn't quite suit my play style. Its a good sounding pickup but I recently re-did my 96 McCarty and put Bareknuckle pickups in it (cold sweat in the neck, nailbomb in the bridge) and I was blown away by the quality and sound. Tim recommended the Holy Diver as it would compliment my Tremoverb quite nicely.

Brad_A

I have the ML1-Pro Modern (Lunar) , and I’m looking to sell it so I can buy an ML3-Bea too. Just out of curiosity, did you trade in to a retailer? Or did you sell privately?

I happened to find someone on reverb who wasn't open to any guitars except for the one I had which was the original ML-1 Pro. She wanted what I had and I wanted what she had. Super lucky too because I was planning on getting a PRS Tremonti but getting the Ml3 Bea persuaded me to keep a Chapman in the lineup, better for tonal variety anyhow, I don't necessarily need a 4th PRS right this moment.

Brad_A

Thanks for info. I signed up for Reverb, and sold my PRS Baritone in less than 24 hours! I just ordered the ML3-Bea Baritone. I'm planning on keeping the 12-60 string gauge and stock pickups though. I also listed my ML1-Pro Modern too. I'm planning on getting the ML3-Bea Smoke if that one sells. Based on all the youtube reviews, I think i'd stick with the Chapman Henchman though. As for the string gauge which you mentioned in the original post, I tried 11's on a few guitars, but for dropped tunings, either drop D or Drop C, I found 10-52 gauge was just right. But this is all personal preference.

Geeg34

I happened to find someone on reverb who wasn't open to any guitars except for the one I had which was the original ML-1 Pro. She wanted what I had and I wanted what she had. Super lucky too because I was planning on getting a PRS Tremonti but getting the Ml3 Bea persuaded me to keep a Chapman in the lineup, better for tonal variety anyhow, I don't necessarily need a 4th PRS right this moment.
Sounds like you got a great deal! I happened to find someone to trade a ML3-Bea for a Ml1-Pro on Reverb...hmmmm, I wonder if this was the same trade. I have to say I love that guitar!! However, i swear they had 13’s on it or something. Once I changed the strings out to NYXL 10’s it was perfect!

Last edited:

Brad_A

I ended up listing my PRS SE baritone on reverb and sold it and purchased the ML3 Bea Baritone. I stuck with the 12-60 gauge and I’m loving it. The pickups are so versatile. I like it so much I ordered the ML3 Bea (standard)in smoke finish too. I had to list my ML1-Pro Modern on reverb to make up some funds. Haven’t sold yet, but had a few real low-ball offers. Really loving the Bea signature though.

Sounds like you got a great deal! I happened to find someone to trade a ML3-Bea for a Ml1-Pro on Reverb...hmmmm, I wonder if this was the same trade. I have to say I love that guitar!! However, i swear they had 13’s on it or something. Once I changed the strings out to NYXL 10’s it was perfect!
Hey that was me! Sorry about the strings they were 11-49's!