Chapman ML1 Pro Traditional in Satin White Dove - anyone invested yet?

Discussion in 'Chapman Guitars' started by Johnsongs, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus” Staff Member

“This guitar company has not previously made something which suits me; therefore, I will automatically discount something they make which may suit me!” That is no way to go through life.
    Shall I list the ways in which the Ibanez RG is not a replacement for the Gibson SG? Your straw man is hastily constructed, though I know you have much more important things to do.

2. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

Versatility is over rated. I've quite happily used a single pickup / one volume guitar without a single issue. Having a complicated guitar with endless options feels a bit like using the HD500 I have, it does loads of stuff but I tend to use a limited amount of it because those are the sounds I like, the rest is just hanging around doing nothing.

I suppose it's down to what you want from your gear. You make a good point that versatility only goes so far, one guitar doesn't need to be all things (unless it's a Variax or the like). I've been through the mod the shit out of your electronics thing and I never really felt the extra options were actually worth bothering with in the end. HSH or SSS pickups with a 5 way switch would give the vasty majority of players everything they would ever need. At the moment I am more than happy with 2 P90's and a three way.

Each to his own though.

Simon Park and Sustainerplayer like this.
  3. Robstafarian

…and one chooses that single pickup according to how versatile it is with the given control scheme; hence, versatility is not overrated. I think you mean to say that needlessly complicated control schemes are overrated.

Simon Park likes this.
  4. Lone Star

Lone Star Well-Known Member

I do. And, I'm annoyed that I stopped in.

You feel free to list how the RG and SG are different. I can start..

Fixed bridge vs edge pro 2.

My comparison was roughly and loosely based around the pickups because most people see SSS and think "oh, a strat". Petes video with the white dove made it sound somewhat flat. And he's not a metal player. That leads me to think that a good player, through a good amp with a decent mid priced guitar means the pickups are the culprit. They sounded quite flat and lacked any real presence. This is not a reflection on Rob Chapman other than to say this looks like a strat aimed at the metal market.

I am not knocking the brand nor do I appreciate the condescending manner of your post. I may not know the technical aspect of this guitar or its pickups but I have ears. And that guitar didn't sound traditional or bluesy in the slightest.

If CG took on a plethora of blues and country style artists it might shift the attention off the metal aspect of the brand. Rob and Bea spearhead the social media stuff with metal playing. Am I wrong for forming the opinion that their guitars are not ideal for blues? No. And petes video confirms it.

Apart from me having to spell out the obvious the guitar looks sexy and with a pickup change it may very well take on a new life.

Simon Park and himynameisoli like this.
  5. Wade Garrett

No , I mean that pickup gives me the one sound I need. So versatility is not even on the map. But yes, I agree that needlessly complicated control schemes are overrated.

Simon Park likes this.
  6. Lone Star

Lone Star Well-Known Member

My single p90 gets me AC/DC to Andy Timmons to Noel Gallagher to Def Leppard. I'm not so sure an SSS would do that though. To many options on a guitar annoys me too.

Simon Park likes this.
  7. Robstafarian

All of the above is sound reasoning, and I take no issue with it. What I took issue with is reflected by the following, which is simply not relevant to judging the guitar by its sound:
    Back to the stock pickups, I agree that said video is not encouraging. The stock pickups seem to accentuate everything which I dislike about “stratty” sounds. However, I have never judged a guitar's suitability by its stock pickups: they are so easily changed, and the aftermarket options are so widely varied, that I have always looked at how a guitar may be modded to suit my needs.

EDIT: My previous message reads unlike my intention, which was to be as stern as your Angus Young reference.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Simon Park likes this.
  8. Robstafarian

Are you saying that you do not use the knobs on that guitar?

Simon Park likes this.
  9. Wade Garrett

No need.

Simon Park and Robstafarian like this.
  10. Robstafarian

My invention makes an SSS guitar do that, and more, at least with '60s-style strat pickups (e.g. the BG Pups V60 set in my single-coil prototype).

Simon Park likes this.
  11. Wade Garrett

Agreed. The SSS was just a second option to the HSH as to the max stuff I'd want on a guitar along with a 5 way switch. I still want a single pickup P90 guitar, most probably a Gibson Les Paul double cut junior, that's still on the cards. P90's for the win!

Simon Park likes this.
  12. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer On the edge of breakup

Who would say no to that? :D

13. Wade Garrett

:D

Simon Park and Robstafarian like this.
  14. ChapManatee

ChapManatee Member

Depending on the position, you could get fat and thick, thin and screaming, or both at the same time :eek:

Simon Park and Sustainerplayer like this.
  15. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Stop, don’t, come back.

most guitars i play spend 90% of their time on the bridge pickup. and i rarely touch the knobs

2c's on the chapman guitars

i don't care if its the "brand". i could not own a "trad" guitar with a reverse headstock. it also ruins the ML3 modern for me

i know there maybe IP related issues in doing a std format headstock. if they could do one, i'd be the owner of one the original blue ML3 guitars

as it is, it will always be a no-no - the first bite is with the eye and all that

16. Simon Park

Simon Park Member

It's all a matter of personal preference (he said, stating the obvious). Based on that video I think it'd definitely sound better with a change of pickups, but I'd happily buy one if I were in the market for a Strat type guitar. My own experience with my Hotrod has made me a fan of the necks on Chapman guitars, as well as the neck/body attachment arrangement.

As others have noted, pickups are easily changed. Put some decent name-brand 'vintage' style pickups in it, and that guitar would be perfect for bluesy rock.

17. ChapManatee

ChapManatee Member

Quick update: swapped bridge pickup for Dimarzio FS-1. Way less hassle than experimenting with baseplates, and not very expensive.

To me, the bridge pickup is much more usable now, with strongers lows/mids, less shrill highs. It lost abit of the chime but is much better at taking distortion.

Since all 3 pickups share a single tone control, it's important that they are balanced enough such that I don't have to mess with the tone knob everytime I switch. And the mod solved that.

Bridge+middle still sounds good.

Bonus fact: The RWRP convention for Chapman pickups is the opposite of Dimarzio's. I didn't check with a compass, can't tell you which is North top, but they're opposite. Had to swap the neck and middle pickups to get hum-cancelling pos-2. I assume that the Venus Witch neck and middle pickups are exactly the same except for polarity?

Edit - bonus fact 2: The Chapman VWitch pups have much stronger string pull compared to the FS-1. Consider lowering these to cure strat-itis (or Chap1ML1?)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Simon Park likes this.
  18. Robstafarian

That is typically true of strat-style pickup sets.

Simon Park likes this.
  19. Zagato Zee

Zagato Zee Well-Known Member

TIL; I shouldn't have bought my ML-2 Classic for blues type music, because Chapman has never made a guitar for playing blues..... The Seymour Duncan USA SH1 Blues Humbucker set and "Peter Green mod" that it came with stock apparently are intended for shredding.

Sarcasm aside; I am liking the idea now of one of those ML-1 Pro White Dove guitars with a set of Texas Special style pickups in it.

I have a pathological hatred of plastic bits on guitars - scratch plates make me mad - because of this I've never bought a typical Strat or Tele. I have been looking at some Warmoth options lately, but the ML-1 Pro might just be a better option by the time Warmoth parts are shipped to me.

Robstafarian likes this.
  20. ChapManatee

ChapManatee Member

In case you guys wanna know, the ML1 pro is not exactly lightweight, but more like average. Mine weighs in at 3.8kg (8.4lb). In comparison, my Parker DF is 2.7kg (just under 6lb).

Not back-breaking, but if use it for hours in one session, maybe while drafting ideas or something, you'll feel it.

Robstafarian likes this.