Chapman ML1 HSS wiring help

masteroggame

Hi Chapman Forum,

I recently picked up a second run ML1 from the Korean factory with the HSS setup and 3 way LP type toggle switch. I love the way it looks and plays.

I'm planning to swap the pickups out. One of the pickups I'm planning to put in is a Dimarzio YJM in the neck. I'm keeping the middle a standard single coil (2 conductor).

I want to keep the original pickup configuration and just be able to split the neck when the tone is out just like the bridge. Since the coil tap is used for adding the middle and splitting the bridge. I was wondering if it could do the same for the neck.

In other words it would be kind of like a HSH but since the ML1 has such a unique configuration its kinda hard for me to wrap my head around it.

I've attached some photos for reference. Any input will be vastly appreciated

Last edited:

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
If you want to add coil splitting for the neck pickup to the existing wiring scheme, then you will need to add another push-pull pot in place of the standard volume pot.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
It should be relatively simple (it never is, but it should be), since all you really need to do is add another push-pull pot, as @Robstafarian mentioned, where the current volume is, and then wire it up, so its only job (other than volume control, obviously) is to split the neck pickup.
You could also do a push-push pot, to maybe make it a bit quicker and easier to engage the neck split, once you've pulled up the other pot, to split the bridge.
I THINK that is all you can do, IF you like the current wiring scheme (with the other push-pull splitting the humbucker and engaging the middle pickup).

If you are NOT absolutely in love with the current wiring, you could rewire it as you see fit, using any plans involving the components you have. Even add something like a Free-Way Switch, and go nuts.
Just be sure to make note of what each wire does, and don't solder until you've planned everything out.

I agree with the others (the reason being that you already have two functions being performed by the existing push/pull pot, and you don't have the contacts for a third function). I would suggest that if you add a second push/pull (or push/push) pot, you change the wiring so that one of the pots splits both humbuckers, and the other adds the middle pickup. This seems more logical to me than keeping the existing functionality and adding a neck split to the second pot, because then you will be able to use the middle pickup with either the bridge or the neck pickup.

Robstafarian

I agree with the others (the reason being that you already have two functions being performed by the existing push/pull pot, and you don't have the contacts for a third function). I would suggest that if you add a second push/pull (or push/push) pot, you change the wiring so that one of the pots splits both humbuckers, and the other adds the middle pickup. This seems more logical to me than keeping the existing functionality and adding a neck split to the second pot, because then you will be able to use the middle pickup with either the bridge or the neck pickup.
It comes down to whether the OP prefers independent coil splitting to independent addition of the middle pickup. Personally, I would prefer independent coil splitting.

masteroggame

Thanks for the input guys! It really helped out deciding what configuration to go for.

I actually might go with a freeway switch, which i have never heard of before this tone chase. I've always preferred toggles to blade switches and it looks like my tone fantasies have come true :).

I might go with the HSS wiring and the push pull split the bridge.

It comes down to whether the OP prefers independent coil splitting to independent addition of the middle pickup. Personally, I would prefer independent coil splitting.
Ye at first I wanted to independently split everything as well, but then i decided to go with another 4 conductor in the middle. I didn't want to have the middle stack split with the bridge split in the freeway HHH configuration.

Last edited:

Robstafarian

Thanks for the input guys! It really helped out deciding what configuration to go for.

I actually might go with a freeway switch, which i have never heard of before this tone chase. I've always preferred toggles to blade switches and it looks like my tone fantasies have come true :).

I might go with the HSS wiring and the push pull split the bridge.

Ye at first I wanted to independently split everything as well, but then i decided to go with another 4 conductor in the middle. I didn't want to have the middle stack split with the bridge split in the freeway HHH configuration.
Please, describe what you want to achieve. The introduction of a wiring diagram and the mention of a different pickup selection have reduced the clarity of this discussion.

masteroggame

Please, describe what you want to achieve. The introduction of a wiring diagram and the mention of a different pickup selection have reduced the clarity of this discussion.
Sorry for the confusion. At first i wanted to only change out the neck pickup, keep the middle stock and the original controls and wanted to know if you could split the neck as well, but turns out you can only do two functions with one push pull which are taken. I didn't want to add another push pull.

After seeing that the freeway toggle allows for the middle pickup to run independently and pickup combos it offers, I decided why not swap it out as well. The diagram is to mostly show the pickup configuration and options I have.

Robstafarian

Sorry for the confusion. At first i wanted to only change out the neck pickup, keep the middle stock and the original controls and wanted to know if you could split the neck as well, but turns out you can only do two functions with one push pull which are taken. I didn't want to add another push pull.

After seeing that the freeway toggle allows for the middle pickup to run independently and pickup combos it offers, I decided why not swap it out as well. The diagram is to mostly show the pickup configuration and options I have.
That wiring diagram does not show a four-conductor middle pickup, hence my confusion.