Chapman Ghost Fret opinions

Discussion in 'Chapman Guitars' started by blackcats, Feb 8, 2018.

1. blackcats

blackcats Active Member

Hi community! So, I'd like to know if anyone out there has ever played, or has an opinion on the Chapman Ghost Frets that are now for sale to the public.
    more: park residence 41 lê văn lương
    I ask because I obviously wont have the chance to play before I buy (they are only sold at Andertons in the UK and only a few dealers here in the States) but I really like the looks and the way it sounds from the YouTube videos I've heard.
    more: giá chung cư iris garden
    Thanks for any help in advance!!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    bad alice likes this.
  2. A-D-L

A-D-L Northern Monkey

I tried out a Ghost Fret. Wasn't super into it. The body being smaller wasn't to my liking, nor were the pickups. It wasn't easy for me to play, not sure why, I thought the necks on the Chapmans were all the same but for whatever reason I just wasn't into it. Upper fret access was good (clearly, it's an x-type).

If any dealers have decent return policies it's worth getting it shipped to try out.

3. SemiCullen

SemiCullen Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays

I own a 2016 model. I like it pretty well. I wasn't terribly fond of the pickups and changed them out. The neck is a bit thin for me. The top is gorgeous and the stainless steel frets are really nice. Riff City's running some kind of trial on Chapman guitars right now.

4. ThePriseInferno

ThePriseInferno Well... does it?

I currently own one of the original run of Ghost Frets.

It plays nicely, but the contour of the tummy cut doesn't agree with my body shape, and as a result the guitar sits at a weird angle and is uncomfortable for me to play while standing.

It's a shame, because the guitar sounds great, looks great, and otherwise plays beautifully.

everfreetree and bad alice like this.
  5. everfreetree

everfreetree I... I like trees.

Section 10-iC of 'Muricaland. (Tennessee)
    Check Riff City Guitar's website.
    They will ship you one to try before you buy.

Francisco likes this.
  6. Maneshwar Singh

Maneshwar Singh New Member

I just received my 2017 dusk ghost fret pro, and I have to say, I'm enjoying it. My other guitars are all vintage output, so this is a completely new flavor and just what I was looking for. I love the explorer guitar shape, and although this feels like a baby explorer, it screams loud and clear. It's very different from the guitars I had already and very versatile. I could get a fair amount of tones out of this thing, and as long as I didn't need a whammy/trem bar for a song, I think this guitar nails it. conversely, I love string bends on this guitar and it makes me want to do more of them where my strats don't really make it as easy.

My only gripe with it is that it has an imperfection in the fretboard near the first 5 frets. The wood doesn't seem to be an ebony color and looks like the color of rosewood above the low e string. It's pretty slight as I think the pickups and guitar overall are working just fine. I guess it makes it a little more unique. I have a pic if people are interested. I'm not sure if I feel like going through the work of exchanging it since I'll have to send it back to Riff City Guitar and wait like another week for another guitar that might of some other slight imperfection. I may just need to let my ocd tendencies not get the best of me.

ScutMonkey likes this.
  7. SemiCullen

SemiCullen Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays

That's not an imperfection.

Ebony is actually quite a figured wood and has a lot of streaks in it. Different manufacturers apply varying degrees of stain to the raw fretboard blanks to get varying degrees of uniform blackness -- or they pay for the premium ebony pieces without the streaks, which are very expensive. I couldn't begin to tell you which video it was, but Rob mentioned quite some time ago that they don't put a lot of stain on their ebony fretboards, so you'll get a lot of variation in figuring.

8. Maneshwar Singh

Thank you for that! I thought it was a problem, but now I can happily enjoy my perfect Ghost Fret with peace of mind!

Does anyone else notice the feedback from the pickups are a little "thicker" or sound a bit "gainy" on it? I've never had pickups this hot so I'm just used to squaling high pitched feedback.

Strats are single coils in the 6-7k range, my epi les paul 60's tribute has '57 classics in there and my epi korina explorer has Seymour Duncan unpotted seth lover pickups. Definitely enjoying these pickups, glad to have a different sounding guitar rather than just more of the same.

9. ScutMonkey

ScutMonkey Well-Known Member

The macasar ebony they are using is highly figured. If you watch the video in my signature you'll see my ML-1 which looks nothing like ebony you're used to seeing. I think it's gorgeous, personally.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Robstafarian and everfreetree like this.
  10. Maneshwar Singh

Ah yes, that is a nice looking fretboard! Mine was all one color really except for that, so I was concerned about it. I'm glad that it's meant to be that way, it's just some bit of peace of mind for me at least knowing it was intended to be that way. I know I'm slightly anal about my guitars, this was one of my first more expensive guitars so I've been cautious about it

ScutMonkey and Robstafarian like this.
  11. I demand satisfaction

I demand satisfaction Well-Known Member

Taylor has some good articles and a video or two about ebony demonstrating the figuring in the wood that used to just get thrown out. I think the figuring is very nice and wish my acoustic had more of it.

Robstafarian and everfreetree like this.