Budget Studio Monitor?

Kobra11

Hey Guys and Girls!

I'm looking at getting my first studio monitor. What would be the forum's consensus on the best bang for buck studio monitor? (budget under or around £100)

Alan O'hagan

That budget is very tight and ultimately the decision will be influenced by a whole host of variables.
Is a pair of good quality headphones an option? Might not work out any cheaper to be honest but worth looking into

Kobra11

Yes, much better quality, though I should note that buying studio monitors without treating the room acoustically is little more than buying false confidence. That budget is quite tight, hence the PreSonus Eris E4.5 pair is probably the best you can do.
Thanks, i'll check these out.

That budget is very tight and ultimately the decision will be influenced by a whole host of variables.
Is a pair of good quality headphones an option? Might not work out any cheaper to be honest but worth looking into
Could be an option, I wanted to see what monitors i could get first.

Chu

I do all my editing and guitar recording in my lounge, vocals and acoustic guitars in the bedroom. Drums get recorded wherever we practice! I no longer have any monitor speakers, nor any formal room treatment as Mrs Chu wouldn't think they look nice. I do most of my work on headphones. Room treatment is usually more beneficial in rooms which lack dampening. Whilst a few bass traps wouldn't hurt the sound, by the time a wife has added ultra heavy curtains made from upholstery fabric, sofas, enough cushions for every eventuality, huge dog bed, canvas paintings..... The room is pretty tame!

The final mix is ALWAYS done in my car.... Yep, that's right. Why? Because it's the sound system that I know best. I listen to music through it every day and my ears are accustomed to it. If you are used to listening to a trebly system and mix on something dull, you will boost the highs to compensate and produce something way too shrill.

If I wanted a pair of monitor speakers for a music room, I'd be fairly happy to buy anything reasonable like the Presonus mentioned. Do your best to listen to as many favourite albums as you can through then to get used to them and you should be able to produce some tidy results!

Last edited: