Breaking strings all of a sudden?

Discussion in 'Playing' started by Andy, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

YouTube Channel:
    ggretrorally
    Hi all,

I've been playing the guitar for years (20+) and honestly cannot remember the last time I broke a string. At the start of Feb, I re-strung my telecaster (American standard) with a brand new set of Erni Balls (9's) ready for a gig two weeks later. I did 1 rehearsal the week before the gig on these (approx 2 hours) to bed them in and then did the gig.

2 songs into the gig, the d string breaks.. which was really odd as the outside wind was still fully intact but the core of the string had broken. 1 song later the B string breaks.

This for me is really odd for me; I usually gig between once and twice a month and have a rehearsal twice to three times a month, so your looking on average about 6 - 8 hours of gigging level playing per month and I can go 6 - 12 months before I change my strings, never breaking any, just when they start to sound a bit dull. Also, i don't practice at home on any of my gigging guitars so the above is the only use they get and are stored in hard cases.

Any idea's as this one really pee'd me off and has questioned my choice of string manufacture.

cheers

Andy

2. everfreetree

everfreetree I... I like trees.

Section 10-iC of 'Muricaland. (Tennessee)
    I stopped using Ernie Balls ages ago due to this. Also receiving packs that were brand new, but already showing rust, etc.
    Ignoring that, though... check the spot where the string comes through the body or the bridge for any signs of additional friction or burrs.

I went through... well, let's just say "Many" packs of strings and had this exact thing (string breaking under the winding) keep happening, at one point. I think it was on my Epiphone SG Special, but it was something to do with the bridge. Drove me insane.
    If yours aren't breaking at the bridge or the nut, I'm not sure what to tell you. I'd be quick to blame the strings, BUT I had it happen with a brand new pair of D'Addario 10-52 on the same guitar, so it could be the guitar itself.
    It may also be where you got the strings... and they were quite old and the pack had been compromised at some point, perhaps. I'm not sure, otherwise.

Robstafarian likes this.
  3. AdiHughes

AdiHughes Sessions, Lessons & Shred

YouTube Channel:
    AdiHughesGuitar
    Could just be bad luck... or you've been working out lately?!

4. ed lespaul

ed lespaul Well-Known Member

Since you broke 2 different strings, it sounds like you got a bad batch.

5. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

YouTube Channel:
    ggretrorally
    Was thinking about the bad batch thing. Ended up purchasing a set of NY XL's, GHS's and Elixier just so i can test and see what i like as the experience has left a sour taste with me.

DrJazztap likes this.
  6. everfreetree

everfreetree I... I like trees.

Section 10-iC of 'Muricaland. (Tennessee)
    A fair plan. If they ALL end up breaking... you can rest assured it's something to do with the guitar.

Robstafarian likes this.