Boult guitars

mirage2101

The reality is that you get what you pay for and if you're buying something that looks really flash for very little, they've saved elsewhere. Nowt wrong with a decent Epiphone in my opinion and it should hold some of it's value too.
This.
Or a mim fender or a squier or whatever kind of brand. If it was (easily) possible to build guitars that cheap everybody would do it. If only to keep up with the competition. People who tell others to buy a $200 squier and upgrade the pickups "so it'll be as good as an amsta strat" really grind my gears.

And those boring brands are boring for a reason. When I was a teen I was heavily in the computer stuff. I bought a great soundcard. Better then anything else on the market. With a matching pricetag. To find out it was barely supported and ran in compatibility mode most of the time. So I would've been better of with the leading brand at that time. It's leading for a reason.

*not to say other brands are bad. But I'd only buy them after trying and holding them in my hand.

Chu

This.
Or a mim fender or a squier or whatever kind of brand. If it was (easily) possible to build guitars that cheap everybody would do it. If only to keep up with the competition. People who tell others to buy a $200 squier and upgrade the pickups "so it'll be as good as an amsta strat" really grind my gears
I've been reading a series of articles in Guitarist Magazine when Dave Burrluck has been modding a Tokai Love Rock, trying to bring it closer to the sound and feel of a top level singlecut, using a Knaggs Kenai as the point of reference. Even with the same pickups and controls, upgraded nut, bridge and tuners, it's still not close. Personally, i don't doubt that it's not become a very good guitar but it's not the same.

And then, even after spending that amount of money, resale value is still barely changed.

But then, I've got a PRS SE that I've swapped the pickups, bridge studs, tuners, nut and the wiring and it's brilliant. It's not directly comparable to my USA PRS but it just has that special something that i bonded with.

Last edited:

mirage2101

But then, I've got a PRS SE that I've swapped the pickups, bridge studs, tuners, nut and the wiring and it's brilliant. It's not directly comparable to my USA PRS but it just has that special something that i bonded with.
There's nothing wrong with changing hardware. And you probably made it a better guitar too. Or at least one you like more. So that's all fair game.
But saying it's suddenly a guitar 8 times the price is a bit silly.

Chu

There's nothing wrong with changing hardware. And you probably made it a better guitar too. Or at least one you like more. So that's all fair game.
But saying it's suddenly a guitar 8 times the price is a bit silly.
It's something that conflicts in me and I'm a hypocrite. I got incredibly lucky and ended up with something brilliant but I paid £600 for the guitar and about £350 modding it. For that, i could have bought a new USA S2 model which needed no mods. I could actually have got a used one for about £650, saved some money and had good chance of resale value.

ScutMonkey

It's something that conflicts in me and I'm a hypocrite. I got incredibly lucky and ended up with something brilliant but I paid £600 for the guitar and about £350 modding it. For that, i could have bought a new USA S2 model which needed no mods. I could actually have got a used one for about £650, saved some money and had good chance of resale value.
This is why I keep all the old parts around. If it's not going to add to resale value, then pull the new stuff out, put the old stuff back in and sell it. Then put the new stuff into the next guitar or sell that too.