Bloodstone telecasters - any good?

Discussion in 'eBay' started by bad alice, May 7, 2015.

1. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

I'll pay twice that!

2. bad alice

bad alice Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!

Chu, you crazy high roller you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Squire

Squire Well-Known Member

Hi Bad Alice, I did an internet search to try & find out some more info about Bloodstone guitars, and came across this post (and this forum). I know your post is from last year, but thought you may have not gone any further & might still be interested - or others who do a search might find this as I did and at least I can add a bit more info....

I've actually bitten the bullet & asked Bloodstone to make me a custom Tele to my exact spec - I now have to wait the 4-6 weeks to tell you what I think of the guitar itself!. What I can say is from the moment I got in touch and gave my ideas, David (as someone on here guessed, it does seem to be a one man operation) has been in regular contact with me to confirm things talk through any questions I've had.

I originally looked at some other luthiers and enquired about building a guitar for me, but their prices were way out of my reach. so then I looked at getting the parts in & going from there, but adding up the cost of parts as I want them the bill was getting higher all the time & like you I wouldnt have a clue where to begin actually putting it together professionally.

Bloodstone came back to me with a complete breakdown on the price, and what was costing more & why on my design. I've decided to go for it & paid a deposit for him to start getting the pieces together - Ive asked for an unusual neck design, so he's buying that in with a paddle headstock (not shaped) and finishing it as I want. on the deposit form it said #0035 - so he's certainly new to this, but before going for it I did a good search on Ebay & found he'd sold custom guitars under his personal account before setting up the company one - all the feedback was positive.

bad alice likes this.
  4. Magnus Pym

Magnus Pym Grudges rot the soul

Interesting post. Probably too late for the OP but I look forward to seeing the results.

5. bad alice

Howdy Squire!
    I'd be really interested in hearing how your Bloodstone tele turns out bud. I ended up be side tracked by a severe case of GAS for a rather delightful, badly behaved and gloriously rowdy Fender Blacktop Strat and, in a needs must kind of way, ended up abandoning the Bloodstone tele dream for that guitar. As it happens, I have no regrets - the sonic blue Blacktop Strat I now have is a absolute beast which I've had a ton of fun modding (Dimarzios/new scratchplate) and, as it is now very much "my" guitar, I feel I made the right call. This time! (Oh OKAY, twist my arm, here's a pic, jeez...lol!):D
    image.jpeg
    However, the Bloodstone Teles do look lovely it had to be said! Like you though I struggled to find much of anything - good/bad/ugly - about them on the interweb, and in the days of instant info EVERYWHERE that felt a little disconcerting and was definitely a part of the reason I ended up deciding "no". Bearing that in mind, it would be terrific for anyone considering a Bloodstone guitar if you could find the time to write a thorough review and let us all know how your custom axe turns out? Word of mouth reviews on the interweb are undoubtably the best resource for a prospective buyer of well...anything and if your guitar turns out to be as splendid as I suspect it might, then John and Bloodstone deserve all the promotion they can get!
    Good luck mate and I can't wait to hear/see the results!
    :)

Chu likes this.
  6. A-D-L

A-D-L Northern Monkey

7. Squire

Squire Well-Known Member

That's certainly a custom looking guitar - love the scratch plate. And always prefer covered pickups.

I will keep this post informed as the weeks go on - it'll give me something to do while I'm trying to be patient while waiting.

In the meantime below is a mock up of my tele design - I actually put this together on the halo guitars custom build tool - a really great site for seeing some ideas, but again expensive to buy from especially as they're in America so plus shipping costs....
    12669188_10153520834971676_1159865033_o-1.jpg

bad alice likes this.
  8. Squire

Squire Well-Known Member

9. bad alice

Ooh damn, that looks tasty Squire - mmmm, and block inlays too! Noiyce!:)
    As it happens I am actually having (what is known round these parts as) a "mystery guitar" being built for me just now too. I'm not sharing the spec with anyone and it's being built by a luthier who I also won't mention as his builds are known for a particular feature...gonna shut up now before I give out any more clues:eek:
    Anyway, this guitar will hopefully be ready sometime next month - I'm guessing yours will be too? - so please do stick around so we can compare builds and, most importantly, complain endlessly about the utter a*seness of trying to be patient for something soooo exciting. Cuz patience sucks balls. Most definitely.:)
    While you're here please do peruse around the other threads and kick back and join in with the general nonsense that fills this place.
    We're a good hearted bunch and much banter and fun is to be had.
    And the guitarzzzz.
    We LOVE the guitars.
    And the general ambition - some are closer than others - is to own them AAAAAAAALLL!
    MMMMWWWAAAHHHAAAAAHHHAAAAHHAAAAHHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAA!!!
    *cue lightening cracks and peals of thunder*
    Aaah..
    Y'know?
    That kinda thing...
    :)

10. Squire

Squire Well-Known Member

I shall be sticking around, had a little look around already, as a coincidence seeing as I found this forum searching for stuff on bloodstone, I do have a chapman - it's ended up influencing my custom build (the reverse headstock for starters).
    I've got an ML3 RC

bad alice likes this.
  11. Squire

Squire Well-Known Member

Oooh - really wanna know what you're getting - would love to know how much money it's costing you? (feel free to PM me if you don't want that as public knowledge, just interested in a price comparison)

I dont know about owning all of 'em - I love the look of a few, but some don't do it for me. I do love the look of the ML7 - but I've tried 7 strings, and it doesnt work for me - just love the way the wider neck looks on that model.

12. Squire

Squire Well-Known Member

So just to keep this up to date.....
    Not too far along into the build yet the neck I've requested is in transit so things should speed up a little when it's arrived with Bloodstone. But I've had plenty of contact from them, confirming the hardware and answering questions. Also keeping a running total of the costs as I've upped the spec of a few parts and wanted to make sure I was aware where we were, and I was still happy. All in all, so far so good.

Dj_host and bad alice like this.
  13. NickGS

NickGS New Member

I just picked up a set of their Tele pups and they are superb. Gutsy, responsive and across all ranges have that extra. Well surprised and delighted.

14. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus” Staff Member

Welcome to the forum! Please, introduce yourself.

15. DrHankWanfordSnr

DrHankWanfordSnr That's not new, its always been there.

Just a small point,
    But I cringe every time I see a body painted, and the neck pocket is half covered in paint.
    I know its easily sanded off, but its even easier to mask it off beforehand. I'm not saying every neck pocket has to be bare wood, but half/half is just crap.

Chu likes this.